EVGA

"You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/01/16 22:17:13 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/240680/you-hodl-it-cryptocurrency-pricing-plummets-as-south-korea-revives-pressure

An announcement by South Korean finance minister Kim Dong-yeon that a ban on cryptocurrency trading could still happen, pending a government review. This might lead other countries to do the same. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

22 Replies Related Threads

panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/17 05:52:30 (permalink)
    Good time to sell and buy back at lower value.
    NvidiaFiend
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/17 05:58:27 (permalink)
    Lmao cause prohibition works so well. When will these world leaders learn? I did lose about 30% of my portfolio from this drop. But then again I made that money off crypto to begin with so idc. I'm just going to keep my rigs running until value goes back up. You really think one bad day/week will end all of crypto? I don't think so but that's how people are making it seem freaking out like this.

Got a used >=8gb GPU that you'd like to sell? PM me
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/17 06:54:33 (permalink)
    Cryptocurrency growth has not been sustainable. Get rich quick will fail and normalize eventually. If you want to get rich, get out when the time is right.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

NvidiaFiend
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/17 06:59:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Cryptocurrency growth has not been sustainable. Get rich quick will fail and normalize eventually. If you want to get rich, get out when the time is right.

You really think a field that's been developed for rapidly over the past few years won't succeed again? If you didn't sell it's not a big deal it will just take a while to stabilize. I still made much more than I lost and I only cashed my btc (10% of portfolio). I doubt the law in South Korea will take place; could always be a scare tactic so Korean government officials can buy in.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 09:14:00 (permalink)
    The growth was not sustainable. It is also bad for our economy and bad for our society. Ride the wave, if you dare. But don't go too deep. The Bitcoin Foundation's lead engineer says that Bitcoin is a failed experiment, that it has no long-term future, and not to invest any more than you are willing to throw away. Other cyrptocurrencies are better without crippling problems, but there are so many and you have to get lucky to guess which one will survive. And then the problem of potentially being used to fund crimes and create tax shelters makes it very questionable whether any of these unregulated currencies will be allowed to exist. Warning. Warning. Take heed. Hardly any get rich quick money scheme works out for the majority. Especially one which requires so little effort and is so destructive to the environment, economy, and society. When we are all fat millionaires, who is going to get off their fat millionaire butt and make our million dollar loaves of bread? Think of it like entropy. Once it has distributed itself among all who want it, what value will it maintain? No one will use it as a real currency for the majority of their purchases, waiting half a day to pay for their 10 gallons of gas or pack of gum. Cryptocurrency literally takes energy, converts it to heat waste, and then we assign a value to that waste. Insanity.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/01/18 09:37:52

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

NvidiaFiend
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 09:39:37 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    The growth was not sustainable. It is also bad for our economy and bad for our society. Ride the wave, if you dare. But don't go too deep. The Bitcoin Foundation's lead engineer says that Bitcoin is a failed experiment, that it has no long-term future, and not to invest any more than you are willing to throw away. Other cyrptocurrencies are better without crippling problems, but there are so many and you have to get lucky to guess which one will survive. And then the problem of potentially being used to fund crimes and create tax shelters makes it very questionable whether any of these unregulated currencies will be allowed to exist. Warning. Warning. Take heed. Hardly any get rich quick money scheme works out for the majority. Especially one which requires so little effort and is so destructive to the environment, economy, and society. When we are all fat millionaires, who is going to get off their fat millionaire butt and make our 10 million dollar loaves of bread?

They wouldn't be able to ban a crypto if they tried. It would just waste tax money to seek prosecuting all the individuals in violation. I agree, Bitcoin will fail, that's why I sold my shares. As for other crypto currencies I can see them succeeding as some successfully facilitate sending and receiving payments, have systems planned for large-scale, and have their own unique purpose and brand. I view crypto as I would any other risky stock. Some states are making it their goal to use more renewable resources; coal and natural gas aren't good for the environment though you're correct.

panzlock
    FTW Member
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 10:17:46 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    The growth was not sustainable. It is also bad for our economy and bad for our society. Ride the wave, if you dare. But don't go too deep. The Bitcoin Foundation's lead engineer says that Bitcoin is a failed experiment, that it has no long-term future, and not to invest any more than you are willing to throw away. Other cyrptocurrencies are better without crippling problems, but there are so many and you have to get lucky to guess which one will survive. And then the problem of potentially being used to fund crimes and create tax shelters makes it very questionable whether any of these unregulated currencies will be allowed to exist. Warning. Warning. Take heed. Hardly any get rich quick money scheme works out for the majority. Especially one which requires so little effort and is so destructive to the environment, economy, and society. When we are all fat millionaires, who is going to get off their fat millionaire butt and make our million dollar loaves of bread? Think of it like entropy. Once it has distributed itself among all who want it, what value will it maintain? No one will use it as a real currency for the majority of their purchases, waiting half a day to pay for their 10 gallons of gas or pack of gum. Cryptocurrency literally takes energy, converts it to heat waste, and then we assign a value to that waste. Insanity.

There's nothing in that statement that can't be applied to money.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 16:20:01 (permalink)
    Ha! Right.... Does it take half a day for you to pull cash out of your pocket and ATM? Start with that statement and then compare the others one by one. You see that majority of what I said are unique problems related to cryptocurrency which can't be said about our current, stable, regulated cash alternatives.

If nothing else, cryptocurrency is an environmental disaster, an ideology which is not used for its intended purpose, and a thing which currently behaves like a ponzi scheme.

The basis of currency was that people were creating desireable goods which had value. Money, be it shells, tulips, paper, etc. was a token gained by selling those goods which gave money its value. Now think of an entertainer who does not create a good, but is worth value for the entertainment they provide. There are only a finite number of entertainers which society chooses to support or be interested in. The majority of entertainers are not successful. Cryptocurrency is similar in this regard.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/01/18 16:46:44

guitarstar26
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 16:29:57 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Ha! Right.... Doee it take half a day for you to pull cash out of your pocket and ATM?

Yes Bitcoin is slow and expensive to move, but many other cryptocurrencies are extremely fast and cheap. As an example, Raiblocks (XRB) is in the seconds timeframe.

Also, cash can be extremely slow as well, it takes 3-10 days for cash to move through the ACH when making transfers. Both cryptocurrency and cash have (different) issues.

I agree "mining" is a bad thing as it does waste power/resources but cryptocurrency is a very real thing that has real value.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 16:37:17 (permalink)
    See my edit above.

In order to validate transactions, mining will have to never cease; whether you get "paid" to do it or not. It will remain wasteful for as long as it continues. "Mining" is the cryptocurrency backbone and therefore cryptocurrency is wasteful.
    When all the coins are "mined", who will support, for free, the ongoing calculations needed to keep the currency going? Even if you are able to charge a fee for your work, will the fees charged be lucrative enough to keep the majority of the miners mining for you? If not, that is another nail in the coffin; since the transaction times would then reach an extremely slow pace.

This is a very entertaining and informative discussion:
    https://youtu.be/1d5NfOYV9lg

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/01/18 16:51:56

guitarstar26
    Superclocked Member
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 16:50:43 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    In order to validate transactions, mining will have to never cease; whether you get "paid" to do it or not. It will remain wasteful for as long as it continues. "Mining" is the cryptocurrency backbone and therefore cryptocurrency is wasteful.

This can literally be said for any form of currency transfer. It costs electricity, manpower, computers, etc. to move around USD. It's not free for VISA to do a transaction in USD.

ty_ger07
    When all the coins are "mined", who will support, for free, the ongoing calculations needed to keep the currency going? Even if you are able to charge a fee for your work, will the fees charged be lucrative enough to keep the majority of the miners mining for you? If not, that is another nail in the coffin; since the transaction times would then reach an extremely slow pace.

This is a very entertaining and informative discussion:
    https://youtu.be/1d5NfOYV9lg

The coins will 'never' all be mined (for BTC). The mining rewards get halved every so often such that it slows down dramatically towards the last few coins.

Second point is that there is no need to have huge datacenters mining to support the chain. The chain doesn't need all that computational power to function, it's just that the block rewards (and fees) are hugely profitable right now.

The chain auto-adjusts the difficulty so that 1 block is mined every 10 minutes. If the hashpower of the network dropped to 100 people using raspberry pis, the network would still run just fine, after the difficulty adjusted. The problem with that scenario, is that someone with a GPU could blow away all those raspberry pis and receive all the mining rewards. So what happens is what you see now, an arms race to see who can provide the most computational power to get the most mining rewards.

This is only in reference to BTC, other coins do not work the same way. I agree that BTC will have to change to be useful, or it will be replaced by other better coins.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 16:59:40 (permalink)
    What do you mean that they will never all be mined? There is a finite number. Bitcoin has 21 million, and that's it. Most other cryptocurrencies also choose a finite number to create scarcity, an additional belief of value, and a way to balance inflation.

The way that the cryptocoin is secured against theft and fraud and the way balances and transactions are validated is based on cryptography which is based on complex math. I highly doubt that 100 people using raspberry pis would be able to calculate what is necessary to validate the transactions of a successful cryptocurrency. Mining is the act of getting a cut of the money for your work in validating someone else's transaction. When you no longer get a cut, you will stop mining.

Listen to the video above. They don't only discuss Bitcoin.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/01/18 17:49:39

guitarstar26
    Superclocked Member
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 18:05:22 (permalink)
    https://cryptocoinmastery.com/what-happens-when-all-bitcoins-have-been-mined/

Estimated time when all are mined is 2140 due to the halving. Things will change before that matters.

Cryptography is not difficult for a computer. The difficulty adjustment built into BTC is what makes it artificially difficult.

Fees are the cut you're talking about, and won't go away. Mining rewards are different.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 18:30:02 (permalink)
    It's Zeno's Paradox. Sure, the parabola ensures that they don't run out soon/effectively ever, but that's because the design makes it essentially pointless at some point. It's going to hit a hard wall at some point. Essentially pointless, impractical, etc. is pretty much the same as running out. The majority, if not all, cryptocurrencies will hit a hard growth wall at some point. Then, their value will be extremely questionable if they haven't established themselves by that point as a useful currency used by a productive society; and then all the waste and ruin they created up to that point will be little less than a environmental, societal, and economical disaster.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/01/19 14:09:55

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/18 22:26:20 (permalink)
    I see it crashing and losing a lot of value. The problem is the coins where $887 less then a year ago. Now they are more  then ten times that less then a year later. I can see value increases but really that kind of a climb is unrealistic and when the crash does happen a lot of people will abandon it.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/19 16:14:24 (permalink)
    Crypto currency was designed by criminals and these people are either already in jail or dead.

So, yeah.
    boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/19 22:35:18 (permalink)
    If Paul Chou a dual major in computer science and math that graduated at MIT is willing to leave a lucrative position at Goldman Sachs to start LedgerX as CEO then I am confident cryptocurrency is not headed for failure.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    jdw715
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/19 22:43:59 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Crypto currency was designed by criminals and these people are either already in jail or dead.

So, yeah.

Wishful thinking

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/20 00:25:55 (permalink)
    boylerya
    If Paul Chou a dual major in computer science and math that graduated at MIT is willing to leave a lucrative position at Goldman Sachs to start LedgerX as CEO then I am confident cryptocurrency is not headed for failure.

1) The majority must fail or be consolidated at the least.
    2) Leaving one job of growth for another job of greater growth does not prove anything. He has money to cover the risk and is smart enough to always find money somewhere else if the venture fails.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/20 13:46:06 (permalink)
    Drop didn't last long - coins have been headed back up the last 2 days, regaining a lot towards their ATH in most cases.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

panzlock
    FTW Member
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/20 16:13:01 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Ha! Right.... Does it take half a day for you to pull cash out of your pocket and ATM? Start with that statement and then compare the others one by one. You see that majority of what I said are unique problems related to cryptocurrency which can't be said about our current, stable, regulated cash alternatives.

In order to believe what you typed you have to ignore the history and evolution of our current currency.

Silver standard, gold standard, etc...

And you must surely be aware that even in modern times it took a lot more energy and effort to deposit and/or withdraw money not that long ago.

You'll also notice a trend. Whenever there's a downward trend in value of crypto, CNBC, our local liberal spindle news media outlet posts paragraphs of drivel about its toxicity and capability to ruin lives. They'll have bankers providing negative insight to prevent, as much as they can, a drift from our "stable" currency of which they will be unable to rob you, should you have decided to stash it away from their banks and in a crypto vault which they have no control of just yet.
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    Re: "You Hodl It!" - Cryptocurrency Pricing Plummets as South Korea Revives Pressure 2018/01/20 16:17:48 (permalink)
    fearpoint

So, yeah.

As opposed to the bankers who destroyed our economy in recent times only to be bailed out by tax payers via government cash injections, only to use the injected money intended to keep their vessels afloat as bonuses with the rest being directed right back into the mortgage segment which almost buried them. Yeah...Yeah, those guys are saints.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile