NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/15 16:59:27 (permalink)
I would have to say mining is bad for computer hardware companies all together.
Who is going to buy a new system when cards are so inflated or impossible to locate?
This means the guy who was going to buy that new mobo, CPU, PSU, SSD, memory, and ultra wide display will probably just buy that new Xbox1X and a big TV.
Or worse.... a gaming laptop!

And who blamed Vega for the prices... I’m going to blame Jeep for the shortage of 4runners with that logic.
post edited by seth89 - 2018/01/15 17:01:32

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/15 19:51:26 (permalink)
It’s now global-.- and it’s the miners moving in since China and S Korea are out of the game.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
Xarzi
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/16 07:20:16 (permalink)
Drazhar
panzlock
QuintLeo
Blame AMD, not miners - if AMD would supply enough of THEIR GPUs to meet the demand, most miners would not CARE about NVidia cards.

Lol...What??? You're blaming AMD for miners buying Nvidia cards? So if the USA goes to war and petrol prices rise at Shell as a result, you'll blame Exxon?

I believe the implication was more that since AMD cards are superior for mining purposes, if they were in plentiful supply, the miners wouldn't be buying NVIDIA.

Not completely true. There are actually quiet a few algorithms in which Nvidia is better than AMD. Such as Equihash which runs Zen, Zcash, Zec, and BTG.

Ethash which is the ethereum algorithim runs better on AMD.
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/16 07:25:02 (permalink)
Xarzi

Ethash which is the ethereum algorithim runs better on AMD.

Ethereum is hot right now.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/16 14:00:04 (permalink)
wmmills
This is easily solved..... you limit the amount to be purchased by household address with the CC and bank accounts connected to that address to 4 tops. After a purchase has been made you cant purchase any gpu 1060/rx480 or above again for 90 days. Of course greed probably wont let this happen but it def doesn't have to be the problem that it is.

That will create a new market.  Get your neighbor, friend, stranger or a network of scalpers to purchase the GPUs for miners, etc.

SLI being thrown in the back burner is all starting to make sense now.  The one GPU per household policy, etc.  Gaming companies knew and were slow on the implementation as some titles still don't have SLI compatibility.  Do you blame them?  Nope.  Saving money if its not worth putting in the extra man power.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/16 15:24:50 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
wmmills
This is easily solved..... you limit the amount to be purchased by household address with the CC and bank accounts connected to that address to 4 tops. After a purchase has been made you cant purchase any gpu 1060/rx480 or above again for 90 days. Of course greed probably wont let this happen but it def doesn't have to be the problem that it is.

That will create a new market.  Get your neighbor, friend, stranger or a network of scalpers to purchase the GPUs for miners, etc.

SLI being thrown in the back burner is all starting to make sense now.  The one GPU per household policy, etc.  Gaming companies knew and were slow on the implementation as some titles still don't have SLI compatibility.  Do you blame them?  Nope.  Saving money if its not worth putting in the extra man power.

Yeah, I thought of that too but really, how many peoples neighbors/friends/strangers are going to let them use there credit card/bank account to purchase a 800.00 gpu, or more, and send it to there address? Even if they do and compensate them for being so nice, that cc card, bank account and address are shot for 90 days then. Plus its going to get pretty obvious if the store keeps seeing recurring charges going to the same street or small area of the same town in the same state etc... then your hit again. It def could slow down the stock being hit so hard and let regular people grab a card at least, and really that's the point. Of course people with means will figure there way around it, im sure, but its not that we don't know that, its that we introduce a monkey wrench in people buying car/plane/truck loads of cards at one time and wiping entire stocks etc.... to better distribute them a little more fairly for everyone, that's all.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
NvidiaFiend
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/16 15:54:23 (permalink)
Those scalpers are making bank for sure.

Got a used >=8gb GPU that you'd like to sell? PM me
najaf
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/18 12:28:22 (permalink)
Determined scalpers are always going to be hard to suppress. I'm just thankful the manufacturers arent jumping on the price hike bandwagon when the demand is obviously there. I should have gotten my 1080ti last year...
asmodyus
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 834
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/19 03:55:01 (permalink)
So it's not just the scalpers anymore Newegg is now selling there cards for over 1k on whatever ones they are in stock now.

Have a EVGA product to register? Please use my Affiliate Code when registering your product.
Click the banner to register with my Affiliate Code. Thank You Very Much!

Heatware           
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/19 07:45:39 (permalink)
Newegg went from a great company to a Chinese owned amazon wannabe.  Allowing scalpers to price gouge.  If they put a stop on giving them all a platform, there were would be less of them and less avenues for them to price gouge.

I don't think I'll be purchasing majority of things like I used to on the egg.  I've actually purchased straight from Amazon, by amazon in the passed since their pricing was lower and shipping was faster.  I just don't like that one experience I had of their 3rd party uber style shippers who dropped half the packages out of her back seat and almost drove off when I realized she hadn't given me my premium PC363D headset.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
asmodyus
SSC Member
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/19 07:50:02 (permalink)
No you don't understand this not 3rd party this is newegg sold by and shipped buy that are selling some cards at that price. I actually called them to complain they said this was a different batch from the manufacturers and had to sell it at that price. Not sure it that was true or not, if it than the Manufacturers are doing the price scalping.

Have a EVGA product to register? Please use my Affiliate Code when registering your product.

Heatware           
dtiffany252
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/19 07:51:41 (permalink)
I just sold all 8 of my 1080s for a 40% profit after they mined $5,500 worth of crypto.   BHphoto website said VEGA was going to show up in 1-3 days and i wanted to switch over to them -- but nope, never showed up.  Now it says feb 2, and with volta coming end of feb?  im stuck here twiddling my thumbs.  To those that think AMD is superior for mining its really not the case.  My 1080s were raking in $7-9 a day each... Only a vega could match that and without bios hacks and such would be using a lot more power.  Funny thing is, last year around this time i did the same thing.  I sold 8 RX480s that i paid $169 each for, and they fetched $325 each after mining thousands worth of crypto. 

If volta wasnt coming soon, id probably buy one of them titan xp collector editions to run my oculus Rift

QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/20 13:52:11 (permalink)
Mining is still an AMD-dominated game, 'till ETH goes Proof Of Stake.
There are at LEAST 4 TIMES as many GPUs used on ETH mining than for any other GPU mineable altcoin - and the large majority of those are AMD RX 470/570/480/580 with a scattering of older AMD cards and some Nvidia 1060/1070 cards bought when AMD cards got too high priced.

As of my last estimate, there were close to 3 times as many GPUs mining ETH as ALL OTHER CRYPTOCOINS COMBINED that were GPU mineable - and that's going to get a little worse now that Bitmain is making an ASIC miner for the algorithm used by DCR (which is going to kill the profitability of "dual mining" ETH and DCR).

I would bet AGAINST Volta consumer card in Feb - I don't anticipate them getting ANNOUNCED 'till late March, and likely not available for sale for a month or two past that - Nvidia has NO reason to rush them out the door given their dominance on gaming at this point vs the AMD competition.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Jimmy81
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/21 19:41:17 (permalink)
The whole situation is out of control but other than limiting purchases as you mentioned I honestly don't know that much can be done. Even that is only a stop gap. It isn't reasonable to expect a production ramp up either as the manufacturers have been burned before when crypto took a dive. On the bright side I'm seriously considering selling the 1080ti I just bought and buying a Titan XP Star Wars to replace it if I can get enough for it. 
QuintLeo
SSC Member
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/21 21:53:53 (permalink)
asmodyus

So it's not just the scalpers anymore Newegg is now selling there cards for over 1k on whatever ones they are in stock now.

No, it's NOT Newegg - except on the 1080 ti  Kingpins and the like that are NORMALLY close to that price and have been affected by memory price increases.

Make sure you have the "sold by NewEgg" box checked BEFORE you call it "Newegg" - like Amazon, they have been allowing 3'd party sellers via their website for years now, *usually* in niches NewEgg itself doesn't want to sell into or has VERY limited selections.

ALL of the retailers I have looked at this month have "limit 1" on their GPU sales for any "shortage" model - NVidia themselves are actually at a HIGHER limit than most retailers have been at, at 2 per customer.

I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

asmodyus
SSC Member
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/22 05:37:47 (permalink)
QuintLeo
asmodyus

No, it's NOT Newegg - except on the 1080 ti  Kingpins and the like that are NORMALLY close to that price and have been affected by memory price increases.

Make sure you have the "sold by NewEgg" box checked BEFORE you call it "Newegg" - like Amazon, they have been allowing 3'd party sellers via their website for years now, *usually* in niches NewEgg itself doesn't want to sell into or has VERY limited selections.

ALL of the retailers I have looked at this month have "limit 1" on their GPU sales for any "shortage" model - NVidia themselves are actually at a HIGHER limit than most retailers have been at, at 2 per customer.

I dunno why people keep telling it was not them I been bying from them forever I know how to seperate vendors from newegg. Yes it was them they had three in stock aorund the 17th all 3 were for sell around 1k they were not 3rd party, it even said sold and shipped by newegg. Now they might not be there anymore but they there. Here is one link  https://www.newegg.com/Pr...=jcq94fajta011rh100053  Normally sales for $779
https://www.newegg.com/Pr...=jcq96zf73a011rh100053  Normally sales for $879
 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125955&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6163686&SID=jcq99fmh7e011rh100053 according to now in stock this one sold by newegg for $949.99 on the 17th.

post edited by asmodyus - 2018/01/22 05:40:05

Heatware           
fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/22 19:13:28 (permalink)
I'll take Newegg over Amazon any day. My experience is Newegg actually improved their shipping and handle since they were bought out, while Amazon is possibly the worst on the net when it comes to that stuff if you don't pay the Prime extortion fee.
QuintLeo
SSC Member
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/22 20:45:09 (permalink)

Drazhar
panzlock
QuintLeo
Blame AMD, not miners - if AMD would supply enough of THEIR GPUs to meet the demand, most miners would not CARE about NVidia cards.

Lol...What??? You're blaming AMD for miners buying Nvidia cards? So if the USA goes to war and petrol prices rise at Shell as a result, you'll blame Exxon?

I believe the implication was more that since AMD cards are superior for mining purposes, if they were in plentiful supply, the miners wouldn't be buying NVIDIA.

Mostly correct - the miners would be buying a LOT FEWER Nvidia cards, since most cards are mining Ethereum which is a lot more friendly to AMD cards (when they are at semi-sane pricing and available).

candle_86
kougar
Frys, Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy, they're all out. Just third party sellers left.

You know it's good when the local PC chain has raised prices on its remaining NVIDIA cards to match the eBay going rates. It's a scalpers market and will continue to be until either cryptomining crashes, or NVIDIA releases a massive surge in supply to break the feedback cycle. At this point I don't see either being likely scenarios. 

Or until Nvidia and AMD release a driver patch to block mining on the consumer cards forcing these people to buy professional level cards. These scum hurt gamers and the gaming industry, if we can't afford a fast enough gpu we wont buy a game that we cant handle

AMD has ZERO interest in cutting their own throat - the only way to do this would be to disable OpenCL entirely, which would shaft a TON of folks that don't mine.
 Nvidia is mostly getting hit because AMD can't keep up with mining demand - and if you don't think Nvidia is profiting from the extra sales, try looking at their recent financial results AND forcasts for the last year and change.
 The "professional level" cards tend to be overpriced JUNK anyway - 3-4 times the cost for the SAME gpu with an INFERIOR cooling setup and usually INFERIOR ram, and in extremely short supply because there is almost no demand for them so almost no production of them.
 Even "professionals" tend to ignore the "professional" cards because they are such a horrible ripoff.

There will be some serious relief to the issue when Ethereum goes to "Proof of Stake", at which point it won't be mineable at all, all of the MILLIONS of cards currently mining it will either look for new homes on other coins crashing THEIR profitability, and most or all of the "get rich quick" types will get out of mining entirely freeing up a large supply of cards (and probably creating a major GLUT on the AMD side for a while).
 Current estimate is "late this year" on that, and that's presuming cryptocoin pricing doesn't collapse or at least drop a LOT before that.

Even if AMD and Nvidia COULD get enough fab capacity to build enough GPUs to supply the current demand, they probably would not do so because they want to reduce the impact of that GLUT of used cards on their FUTURE bottom line.

holophonicstudios
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/30 12:21:53 (permalink)
This mining apocalypse allowed me to sell my GPU for a very high price and make some quick cash, but it's not good for the PC market overall and needs to end pronto.
QuintLeo
SSC Member
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/30 12:33:18 (permalink)
The current shortage on the Nvidia side is NOT miner caused - the numbers just don't add up, as I've explained in a few other threads now.
The shortage THIS SPRING appears to have been mining related - a LOT more cards were getting sold to miners based on the huge amount of hashrate that was getting added to the network totals for all of the large-GPU-count coins like Ethereum - but that is NOT the case the last couple months.

The CURRENT shortage also started a bit more than a week SOONER on the NVidia side than on the AMD side - a miner-caused shortage would have started on the AMD side as the majority of GPUs used in mining are AMD.

The CURRENT shortage appears to have been caused by a combination effect:

1) Nvidia had a VERY good "Christmas 2017" sales season, as did AMD on both GPUs and CPUs and Intel did as well.
 2) Gamers in particular bought a LOT of systems in 2017, indicated by both AMD higher-end Ryzen and Intel higher-end CPUs selling VERY VERY WELL in 2017.
 3) Per an October comment by TSMC in one of their "forcasts", they anticipated ramping down Pascal production in favor of Volta production "around the end of the year" - indicating that SUPPLY of the current Nvidia GPUs has been dropping for a month or more due to lower production of the GPU chips.

2017 in general was a very good year for PC sales, far better than anyone seems to have predicted - the concensus the last 2-3 years has been "slowly dying PC sales as folks move to newer platforms", but 2017 may have been the best PC sales year since before the "Great Recession".

OMG!
I just realized!
It's TRUMPS'S FAULT - the optimism he's generated about the economy and the tax cuts he championed have people and businesses willing to SPEND MORE than in the last few years!

8-)

SierraWolf117
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/30 13:10:40 (permalink)
@QuintLeo All I can say is, I enjoy the analysis and predictions here. That and it's going to be a very interesting ride after PoS is implemented for Ethereum. Anything with PoW still is going to be suddenly hammered pushing all the small time miners out which then could cause 51% attacks and all that other neat stuff. That or completely deplete the PoW phase of a hybrid leaving small time currencies with very large whales.
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/01/30 20:59:38 (permalink)

Nvidia Cards unavailable for the next three months - as fabs switch over to manufacturing Volta

story at [H] Forums
https://hardforum.com/thr...cturing-volta.1951718/

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside 2018/02/05 13:45:58 (permalink)
and prices are not going to get cheaper

Silicon Wafer makers plan 20% price increase for 2018, PC components will be affected

https://www.kitguru.net/c...d-nand-to-be-affected/

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile