EVGA

SC 17 1070 Out of Box Tips

Author
Camojunkie71
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/01/16 16:22:34 (permalink)
I have been reading a lot of post from new SC17 owners with various issues and let me tell you I had all kinds of problems with GPU, CPU, sound, misc drivers etc when I first bought mine about 9 months ago.  What fixed ALL my problems was to completely wipe the system (after I downloaded all the necessary drivers from EVGA website onto a thumb drive), installed fresh copy of windows 10 Pro, updated bios, then reinstalled drivers (including Precision X, etc), then run driver check (I think EVGA has one) to make sure all drivers are up to date.

Personally, I run all my games of the HDD and just use the SSD for essentials... I even ran HD Tune, CrystalDiskMark5, 3dMark to see if I should replace the HDD with SSD.  The conclusion I came to was it is not necessary for my desired performance.

Since then I have had NO... ZERO... Zilch problems with my SC17 1070... as a matter of fact it is a beast in my opinion (for a laptop)... bought a Thermaltake laptop pad to keep it cool (less noise) and I can play almost anything on high to ultra settings (most of the time without having to OC) and typically I cap the FPS just because running 200 fps at 4K is unnecessary.

It took some time to figure this out but I am completely satisfied with what I think is one of the most elite gaming laptops thus far (without looking like something from Battlestar Galactica).  Are there gaming laptops with better specs... of course... are they sleek, understated and still have the aesthetic build quality of the SC17?... not that I've seen.  So there you go, hope this helps those with a little patience and know how.

One last thing... the onboard speakers suck so install Dolby ATMOS and invest in a decent headset (I use SteelSeries Arctic 7).

Peace!

1 Reply Related Threads

alex.williams
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: SC 17 1070 Out of Box Tips 2018/01/22 11:24:06 (permalink)
    FYI...I got rid of Windows 10 and installed Windows 8.1, zero issues, everything worked. I just copied the drivers to a USB stick and installed them that way. The only tricky part was trying to dual boot (Win10/W8.1) so I just gave up and replaced win10 with Win 8.1 Had to find 8.1 as 8.0 didn't have the NVMe driver support and my SC17 uses the Toshiba 256 not the Samsung Pro that earlier models used, so I couldn't load the Samsung drivers during install using 8.0 to recognize the NVMe drive.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile