EVGA

Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer)

Author
fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2018/01/14 10:16:07 (permalink)
So here's the deal. I sold some computer parts recently and am very worried I'm about to be scammed out of them. Last month I held an auction the winner never paid up. The winner's address was to some self storage place in the United States. I filed a non payment claim and it was closed. Now weeks later after relisting the winner magically is a different account but with the exact same self storage location as the shipping address using a different name (Dnipro Global GT9902). This time the account finally paid through paypal, but, having looked at the paypal invoice the address is confirmed although The sender of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified.

So what do I do? I see Paypal supposedly claims I'll have seller protection due to the confirmed U.S. address, but this whole thing sounds so incredibly sketchy. I'm figuring the scam revolves around being I sent the working item, some shady guy takes my computer parts says I didn't send what was advertised and sends me back junk/broken version of hardware I sent. Ebay leads me around to help articles which come no where close to this situation.

Also on Paypal under "OK to ship" it reads "Estimated funds availability December 31, 1969"

Help me, Wizards.
post edited by fearpoint - 2018/01/14 10:17:51

22 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 10:32:46 (permalink)
    There is a variety of things that could be going on.  I used a shipper to deliver items to me when I lived in Okinawa and Korea.  The place they are using may be a forwarding company.  

I would be cautious as well, and I would send EBay and Paypal a heads up of your suspicions, and see what they say.  I would not hold of sending the items, sadly, as it can hurt your reputation.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 10:50:05 (permalink)
    If the items are a high-ish dollar value and you haven't sent them yet, I wouldn't send them no way. If it hurts your rep oh well, the dollar/item loss might hurt more. Im sure you could just cancel out the old account and start a new one if necessary too. Somethings def not right, but you should start screen grabbing all the anomaly's and def let ebay and paypal know whats going on cause im sure your not the first one they've attempted this with or have already gotten over on.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 11:12:01 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    There is a variety of things that could be going on.  I used a shipper to deliver items to me when I lived in Okinawa and Korea.  The place they are using may be a forwarding company.  

I would be cautious as well, and I would send EBay and Paypal a heads up of your suspicions, and see what they say.  I would not hold of sending the items, sadly, as it can hurt your reputation.

The address is to some self storage company in Delaware. Does Ebay even have a phone number? I remember I had to call them years ago when some turd wouldn't pay for something, but I haven't used ebay since and all I'm getting is help articles.

wmmills
    If the items are a high-ish dollar value and you haven't sent them yet, I wouldn't send them no way. If it hurts your rep oh well, the dollar/item loss might hurt more. Im sure you could just cancel out the old account and start a new one if necessary too. Somethings def not right, but you should start screen grabbing all the anomaly's and def let ebay and paypal know whats going on cause im sure your not the first one they've attempted this with or have already gotten over on.

It's over $200. The guy never responded to my message I sent after he won. I'm going to send another message regarding shipping to a self storage location while his profile claims to be based in the United States and paying with a non US verified. Been trying to sell this for a month now. Both of the accounts are 100% feedback with this latest in the 100's. No reviews on anything though and they follow a lot of other use accounts which makes me believe it's a whole web of accounts from the same person or group.

Thinking about messaging other bidders that were involved and I think are legit to see if they want to do a second chance and just canceling this guy's winning bid and refunding the transaction.
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 11:39:19 (permalink)
    You can just refund his money and say you sold it elsewhere after they closed the ticket originally.

That's warranted, Being that he never paid until forever later.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 11:43:46 (permalink)
    I don’t know if eBay has a number, unfortunately. I know I called them in 2006 when a company sold me a lot of bad parts and they sorted the issue and closed the sellers account.

If you can refund the money, do that. Tell them you are not covering shipping outside of the USA and won’t cover any damage from internetional shipping.

Does the user have feedback, or is it a relatively new account?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30972
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 12:35:49 (permalink)
    1 (866) 540-3229 (google)

https://community.ebay.co...service/qaq-p/26154805

Contact button at bottom of page, only works if signed in
     https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/home

PayPal
    https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/14 13:32:24 (permalink)
    RushXTC
    You can just refund his money and say you sold it elsewhere after they closed the ticket originally.

That's warranted, Being that he never paid until forever later.

Nah I relisted it and he used another account to win it and only started bidding within less than 1 hour before it ended, but paid up this time.

the_Scarlet_one
    I don’t know if eBay has a number, unfortunately. I know I called them in 2006 when a company sold me a lot of bad parts and they sorted the issue and closed the sellers account.

If you can refund the money, do that. Tell them you are not covering shipping outside of the USA and won’t cover any damage from internetional shipping.

Does the user have feedback, or is it a relatively new account?

It's not shipping outside the U.S. but rather to a self storage location. I'm going to call the place up tomorrow and see if they even take deliveries and if the names listed are even customers. Going to have to call USPS as well to see if they'll deliver to this location. This account he won on and paid with has a 100% positive feedback rating with 12 positives within the past year and total of 125 feedback. The other account that never paid up but has the same self storage shipping location(under a different name) has a 100% feedback rating as well too with 12 in the past year and 29 total(mostly from china based sellers). both accounts created in 2013 around 1 month of each other. The price the item sold for was $50 more than the previous auction too which makes me wonder what is going on. Last thing I want is a charge back or fraudulent claim being made on the transaction because of it's Non US verified status, but the member supposedly residing in the US after it's sent.

*EDIT*
    Found out the address belongs to a Russia export business that gives a U.S. shipping address, so Russians can buy stuff people don't want to sell to them. Cancelled the order. Thanks for the help, guys.

Maybe next time, Putin. 

post edited by fearpoint - 2018/01/15 11:52:11
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/16 07:00:23 (permalink)
    I actually LOL'd.  Nice try Putin...
    you guys kill me.
    soimusan
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/19 09:20:03 (permalink)
     Good choice canceling the order!
     I listed my gtx 780 on ebay (auction) and within hours get a message with an offer to buy it now. I agreed, I got paid, all nice and dandy! In a couple of weeks I get a message from the buyer that the card doesn't work properly. I told him to send the card back, (on my dime) and I'll refund his money. He did not want to do that! 
     I check my PayPal account and it appears to be a "non-US verified" account, and had an address in US (I checked it and it was an international shipping center - mainly deals with Ukraine). I specified US buyers only in the listing. Also, you could tell from the messages that a translator was used.
    I confronted the person with this and he got very defensive! I kept telling him to return for full refund, but no game! He threatened me that he'll open a dispute, which I encouraged him to do. Next day I get another message from him saying he took the card to some "service center" and had it fixed, that it works now and he wants to be compensated for the cost. I asked for a receipt, half joking. He said he doesn't have one! 
    At this point I contacted both PayPal and Ebay, let them know about all this and ebay closed the dispute in my favor, while PayPal told me the transaction is final and the buyer cannot do anything about it! All because I had written proof that I offered full refund if the card was not as described/defective and the buyer altered the product purchased instead of returning it!
     Happy ending, but was it worth it? No, not really! If I had checked the account details I would not have accepted the offer!

post edited by soimusan - 2018/01/19 09:25:59
    EyeDeeNo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 670
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/19 09:46:36 (permalink)
     *EDIT*
    Found out the address belongs to a Russia export business that gives a U.S. shipping address, so Russians can buy stuff people don't want to sell to them. Cancelled the order. Thanks for the help, guys.

Maybe next time, Putin. 

Ah ha-ha ha-ha!

I haven't have this happen to me yet and been using ebay since 2002.
    Only once someone asked me first if it was okay to ship to near US Canada border so they have it shipped to them from there or make the trip to pick it up. I forget something like that.

Lenovo 710-25ISH IdeaCentre with an Intel Core i5-6400 ~ Win10 Home 64-Bit 21H2
    Lenovo 3642 Motherboard Intel H170 Chipset ~ BIOS FWKTA7A 11/7/2019
    FSP Group FSP250-30AGBAA 250w 80 Plus Bronze
    EVGA 04G-P4-6251-KR GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming VBIOS 86.07.22.00.50 ~ Precision XOC 6.0.9 ~ Game Ready 516.59
    G.SKILL F4-2400C15Q-4GNT Value DDR4 4x4GB Kit
    Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 MX500 SSD 1TB Firmware M3CR043 (Sabrent BK-PCBS) + Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 Barracuda HDD 2TB
    Pioneer BDR-209UBK Blu-ray Burner ~ Firmware 1.54 10/7/2020
    AOC E2475SWQE 23.6'' 1ms TN 1080p 60Hz Monitor via Athena CLH-DP0612MM28 DP + Samsung UN32J5500AF 31.5'' TV via Belkin F8V3311B15 HDMI
    Creative GigaWorks
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/19 16:06:13 (permalink)
    soimusan
     Good choice canceling the order!
     I listed my gtx 780 on ebay (auction) and within hours get a message with an offer to buy it now. I agreed, I got paid, all nice and dandy! In a couple of weeks I get a message from the buyer that the card doesn't work properly. I told him to send the card back, (on my dime) and I'll refund his money. He did not want to do that! 
     I check my PayPal account and it appears to be a "non-US verified" account, and had an address in US (I checked it and it was an international shipping center - mainly deals with Ukraine). I specified US buyers only in the listing. Also, you could tell from the messages that a translator was used.
    I confronted the person with this and he got very defensive! I kept telling him to return for full refund, but no game! He threatened me that he'll open a dispute, which I encouraged him to do. Next day I get another message from him saying he took the card to some "service center" and had it fixed, that it works now and he wants to be compensated for the cost. I asked for a receipt, half joking. He said he doesn't have one! 
    At this point I contacted both PayPal and Ebay, let them know about all this and ebay closed the dispute in my favor, while PayPal told me the transaction is final and the buyer cannot do anything about it! All because I had written proof that I offered full refund if the card was not as described/defective and the buyer altered the product purchased instead of returning it!
     Happy ending, but was it worth it? No, not really! If I had checked the account details I would not have accepted the offer!

Yeah I wasn't even going to risk sending it to some 3rd party, so weeks later somebody in a different country claims something is wrong with it. My seller liability ended at the US shipping address not on the other side of the planet. Foreigners trying to circumvent buying restrictions is scummy and obviously ripe for abuse. 
    Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/20 09:47:02 (permalink)
    Wonder if you can state that you will only sell to customers with US verified bank accounts?

Heatware

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18915
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/21 21:11:00 (permalink)

It's EBay. What exactly did you expect? The place is teeming with scammers, both buyers and sellers.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/21 22:04:03 (permalink)

If Ebay is the only place that I can find something I want. I end up doing without it.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Mr_Johnson
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/27 01:52:33 (permalink)
    Every time I've tried to sell computer parts on eBay, the buyer has tried to scam me. With graphics cards it's almost always the same trick, they receive the graphics card and a week later they claim it doesn't work and want to return it. The scam is they send you back a different, broken card and run with the PayPal refund. PayPal is buyer-friendly to a fault. You handled the situation exactly as you should. If you do sell more parts in the future, try to document EVERYTHING. Take pictures of the product to note it's condition, pictures of the serial numbers, how you have packed it, and keep all of the tracking information.
    Now, I just try to stick to in-person cash sales through facebook, craiglist, or forums. It seems to keep people honest for the most part.
    csheep
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/28 11:19:14 (permalink)
    ebay's the worst for selling. 
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/28 12:54:52 (permalink)
    You got lucky as I recall man...

I woke up to a semi-nightmare yesterday.

I sold something, Got paid, Shipped it and it arrived. A week later (Yesterday) I receive a paypal dispute saying the transaction is on hold due to an "unauthorized purchase".

The good news is, The quantity is only $12.99, But that puts me out of shipping and out of an item. I know they're going to deduct it, Because they always screw the sellers.

Good thing you were able to avoid this.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18915
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/28 13:22:43 (permalink)
    RushXTC
    You got lucky as I recall man...

I woke up to a semi-nightmare yesterday.

I sold something, Got paid, Shipped it and it arrived. A week later (Yesterday) I receive a paypal dispute saying the transaction is on hold due to an "unauthorized purchase".

The good news is, The quantity is only $12.99, But that puts me out of shipping and out of an item. I know they're going to deduct it, Because they always screw the sellers.

Good thing you were able to avoid this.

Scam-Bay is a freaking joke.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/28 13:34:08 (permalink)
    fearpoint

*EDIT*

Maybe next time, Putin. 

Glad you caught that in time or you could have been scammed of your selling goods.  Have to be extra cautious when selling electronics on ebay.

el o el @ your putin comment. 

Dukman
    Wonder if you can state that you will only sell to customers with US verified bank accounts?

Yes you can and should post that in your listing.  I believe you can even state that you have the authority to cancel any auction at anytime but not sure if that is legit or not.

Mr_Johnson
    Every time I've tried to sell computer parts on eBay, the buyer has tried to scam me. With graphics cards it's almost always the same trick, they receive the graphics card and a week later they claim it doesn't work and want to return it. The scam is they send you back a different, broken card and run with the PayPal refund. PayPal is buyer-friendly to a fault. You handled the situation exactly as you should. If you do sell more parts in the future, try to document EVERYTHING. Take pictures of the product to note it's condition, pictures of the serial numbers, how you have packed it, and keep all of the tracking information.
    Now, I just try to stick to in-person cash sales through facebook, craiglist, or forums. It seems to keep people honest for the most part.

That happened to me once.  The first time and the last time I had sold a expensive PC part, EVGA GTX 680 Hydrocopper with only 1-2 months of use because I upgraded to the GTX 780 HCs that I have now.  I made sure to message them through the ebay system so everything is on record and I had documented images of the GPU prior to being shipped.  The buyer tried to pull a quick one on me by saying that the GPU didn't work with his other GPU for SLI.  My GPU went from working and functioning within a week to not working on someone else's hands.  Yeah well, you're either pulling my string here or you damaged the GPU (I thought of this since it was a Hydro Copper) or you're a complete amateur and don't know what you're doing.  I thought to myself, hell will freeze over before they try sending me a damaged GPU.  With over 20 years of computer experience, I caught the little bastard.  I thew a curve ball question in between his frantic nothing works agenda.  I asked if the GPU powered on and he said yes.  I then asked if he could see a display, he said yes.  KABOOM! So I asked again, the GPU just doesn't work in SLI with your other GPU?  And he said yes.  I made my case to the Ebay board and case closed!  #Winning 

I don't mind using Ebay for selling again.  I don't like using others means in a private setting cause I just don't trust no one. lol  Craiglist is a risk unless you meet at a police station parking lot but I still don't want strangers knowing my cell number, etc.  I'd rather be behind a screen and use a middle man like Ebay to take care of the transaction as there are tools to protect us.  Just have to be a smart seller and buyer.  Research needs to be done.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2018/01/28 13:41:09

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    s10blazed
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/29 08:23:24 (permalink)
    Whoa, people still use eBay? I thought the scammers and foreign junk would have driven everyone away by now.
    EchofoxtrotFTW
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/29 08:50:56 (permalink)
    I would call the buyer and verify the phone number along with any past transactions they have made through ebay s cammers hate using legitimate phone numbers.
    Noxnoctis1976
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Help me Ebay/Paypal Wizards(possible scammer) 2018/01/29 09:22:34 (permalink)
    Yeah stopped using eBay years ago due to scams.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile