EVGA

Precision XOC GPU Undervolting

Author
yellowcakepie
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/12/15 00:07:25 (permalink)
I got a brand new laptop with a GTX 1070 in it, and I'm trying to undervolt the graphics card so my laptop can run cooler and quieter.

Problem is, Precision XOC isn't allowing me to change the voltage on the card. I went into General Settings, and the Overvoltage button is greyed out. What do I do?

24 Replies Related Threads

• Total Posts : 39
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 01:24:57 (permalink)
    Reduce the power limit and set the priority to that.
    yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 01:42:40 (permalink)
    ceekc

The power limit slider is grayed out as well. How can I unlock it?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 06:29:14 (permalink)
    Mobile video cards are not supported by Precision. Additionally, undervolting is not supported for any product in Precision in the first place.

Maybe try MSI Afterburner, choose its voltage unlock option in its settings, and see if it allows more control.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/12/15 06:32:24

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Berfs1
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 08:47:13 (permalink)
    Mobile video cards are supported, but the GPU vBIOS must allow changes, otherwise it will show up as locked.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 09:13:15 (permalink)
    Berfs1
    Mobile video cards are supported, but the GPU vBIOS must allow changes, otherwise it will show up as locked.

No, mobile video cards are not supported. Basic functionality generally tends to work, but officially, according to EVGA, this Precision software is not designed to support mobile video cards.

The Precision Mobile version designed for EVGA Laptops is a different program, available to EVGA laptop owners through special means, and only supports mobile video cards in EVGA laptops.

"Supported" has a special meaning. "Supported" does not mean that it will or will not work. "Supported" means that it is designed by the software engineers to work and if it doesn't work, they will try to fix it. Mobile video cards are not supported by Precision. As I said, some functionality may or may not work with mobile video cards, but you should not expect it to work with mobile video cards, and anything which doesn't work with a mobile video card will not be fixed or addressed by Precision software engineers.

And, as I said, undervolting of ANY video card is not supported by current Precision developement -- whether it is for a supported or un-supported video card -- so, this is a pointless discussion in the first place.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/12/15 09:25:06

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 11:31:32 (permalink)
    My laptop is an EVGA SC 17. Precision Mobile only allows me to undervolt the CPU and adjust the clock speeds of the GPU and CPU, but that's about it.

I'll give MSI Afterburner a shot to see if it lets me do more.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 11:50:49 (permalink)
    Are you using the standard Precision XOC, or PrecisionX Mobile? Your title says Precision XOC which is the wrong version to use with your EVGA laptop.

I haven't used PrecisionX Mobile yet for myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it too does not allow undervolting. But, please make sure that you are using the correct version for your laptop anyway.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/12/15 11:53:29

yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 13:28:37 (permalink)
    I have both XOC and X Mobile on my laptop. Neither allows me to change the voltage on my graphics card.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/15 13:30:30 (permalink)
    Try using msi afterburners voltage/frequency curve editor to undervolt.
    Kulkiet
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/17 12:43:37 (permalink)
    Does yr laptop runs hot at gaming ? I got issue with heat lvl when playing.i did select undervold setting in precision x mobile but then the CPU choke
    I'm trying to make custom profile for CPU and GPU for most efficient setting .for CPU and GPU I don't mind run CPU at lower clock to boost temperature overall .I don't use cooling pad so I guess that will be first thing to buy
    Lowering resolution to 1080 helps a lot but screen looks like a crap.i don't want to cut corners that way
    yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/17 15:55:29 (permalink)
    Kulkiet
    Does yr laptop runs hot at gaming ? I got issue with heat lvl when playing.i did select undervold setting in precision x mobile but then the CPU choke
    I'm trying to make custom profile for CPU and GPU for most efficient setting .for CPU and GPU I don't mind run CPU at lower clock to boost temperature overall .I don't use cooling pad so I guess that will be first thing to buy
    Lowering resolution to 1080 helps a lot but screen looks like a crap.i don't want to cut corners that way

I haven't had time to game on it yet, but my SC 17 is relatively cool while benchmarking. Furmark for 20 minutes on 4k extreme gets my GPU up to about 72-75 C.

I just wanted to undervolt both my CPU and GPU so that my fan isn't always on. Idle temps are around 40-42 C for both CPU and GPU, dunno if that's kinda high.
    Kulkiet
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/18 08:01:37 (permalink)
    Ok my system gets more than 50 not CPU and GPU is around 65-70 . . .problem is the case is warming up very bad .I tried to down clock everything to cut down on the heat
    I use precision down lock to use web browsing so fans run at 1300 and it's hard to hear it
    It's good when u don't use it
    I just did install newest bios 1.03 from website
    I did purchase this laptop cos metal case and keep it cool.there is no any kind of throttling but temperature is high after one hour of gamin in uhd. In 1080 is not issue I can hear fans slowing down etc
    I don't complain baout GTX running stable at 1949 MHz. All the time .I just want lower temperature of the system .
    Kulkiet
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/18 08:07:54 (permalink)
    I hope to find best ratio of clock speed .volt to temperature so I can lock down the cpu to 2.8 or something .undervolt stable and be able to down lock or leave normal GTX
    Downclock setup lowers ram speed and core ton500/200. .my desktop GTX 1080 runs perfect with v ram oc 1000 MHz
    I had gt62vr from main and it was much cooler case .I did return it cos faulty external display .I hope I'm not wrong about this metal case.btw display is perfect compare to my Asus pb278q colors look dull . . Now I'm thinking to buy 4k display for my desk
    yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/18 13:19:40 (permalink)
    Okay, I got MSI Afterburner today and tried doing some tweaking. However, the power limit slider is grayed out. I went into its settings and clicked unlock voltage control, but that still didn't unlock the power limit slider. What can I do?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/18 15:05:48 (permalink)
    yellowcakepie
    Okay, I got MSI Afterburner today and tried doing some tweaking. However, the power limit slider is grayed out. I went into its settings and clicked unlock voltage control, but that still didn't unlock the power limit slider. What can I do?

You need to use the voltage/frequency curve editor to lock the card to a lower voltage. Press CTRL+F to bring up the editor. Press CTRL+L after selecting a dot on the editor that corresponds with the voltage you want. Close the editor and click the check mark button on the main screen to apply the changes.
    yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/18 22:52:17 (permalink)
    Sajin

You need to use the voltage/frequency curve editor to lock the card to a lower voltage. Press CTRL+F to bring up the editor. Press CTRL+L after selecting a dot on the editor that corresponds with the voltage you want. Close the editor and click the check mark button on the main screen to apply the changes.

Okay, I opened up the voltage-frequency curve editor. However, the GPU voltage seems to vary across a huge range depending on usage, so I don't think locking the GPU voltage is an optimal solution. I tried shifting the curve to the left to reduce voltage while maintaining clock speeds, but that doesn't work. It only lets me move points on the curve up and down.

Another problem with the curve editor is that the minimum voltage option seems to be 800 mV, and won't go any lower than that.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/19 09:53:53 (permalink)
    Both the voltage & frequency get locked. You can adjust the frequency after locking. The voltage should stay the same as long as you have selected a voltage in the range of .975-962mv or lower.
    yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/19 11:33:00 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Both the voltage & frequency get locked. You can adjust the frequency after locking. The voltage should stay the same as long as you have selected a voltage in the range of .975-962mv or lower.

Is there a way to set the voltage below 800 mV? My GPU only goes up to 762 mV during stress tests, and I want it to go as low as possible.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/19 14:12:17 (permalink)
    yellowcakepie
    Is there a way to set the voltage below 800 mV? My GPU only goes up to 762 mV during stress tests, and I want it to go as low as possible.

Nope.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/19 14:51:34 (permalink)
    yellowcakepie
    ceekc

The power limit slider is grayed out as well. How can I unlock it?

When creating a windows batch file with the following command...

@ECHO
    start cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -q -d power

Does the min & max power limit show different values? e.g.

If yes, you may be able to set/reduce the power limit by using the following command...

@ECHO
    start cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl *power limit in watts here*

yellowcakepie
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2017/12/21 23:10:21 (permalink)
    Sajin
    When creating a windows batch file with the following command...

@ECHO
    start cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -q -d power

Does the min & max power limit show different values? e.g.

If yes, you may be able to set/reduce the power limit by using the following command...

@ECHO
    start cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl *power limit in watts here*

The Min and Max Power Limit both simply show N/A. Only the power draw wattage is shown.

I think I'll just give up on undervolting my GPU. I'll simply underclock it when it is idle.
    Berfs1
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2018/03/20 21:49:52 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Mobile video cards are not supported by Precision. Additionally, undervolting is not supported for any product in Precision in the first place.

Maybe try MSI Afterburner, choose its voltage unlock option in its settings, and see if it allows more control.

This is not true, my laptop GPU has voltage control enabled, I only needed to flash the vBIOS to a specific modded version. Voltage control is usually locked by the vBIOS if it is not showing in controls in EVGA Precision. Sidenote, I use MSI Afterburner for overclocking AMD/ATI GPUs, while I use EVGA PrecisionX 16 for overclocking NVIDIA GPUs. I use ASUS GPU Tweak 2 as a back up software.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2018/03/21 15:55:12 (permalink)
    Berfs1
    ty_ger07

This is not true, my laptop GPU has voltage control enabled, I only needed to flash the vBIOS to a specific modded version. Voltage control is usually locked by the vBIOS if it is not showing in controls in EVGA Precision. Sidenote, I use MSI Afterburner for overclocking AMD/ATI GPUs, while I use EVGA PrecisionX 16 for overclocking NVIDIA GPUs. I use ASUS GPU Tweak 2 as a back up software.

Sorry, it is true. "Supported" has a definition. Precision XOC is not designed by its developers to support mobile video cards. If it works for you with modified GPU BIOS or whatever, fine. But, it still isn't supported, results may be unexpected, and EVGA and it's Precision XOC developers will not provide you any assistance for using the application in a way which is not supported.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/03/21 21:06:53

Berfs1
    Re: Precision XOC GPU Undervolting 2018/03/27 00:04:28 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Berfs1

No, mobile video cards are not supported. Basic functionality generally tends to work, but officially, according to EVGA, this Precision software is not designed to support mobile video cards.

The Precision Mobile version designed for EVGA Laptops is a different program, available to EVGA laptop owners through special means, and only supports mobile video cards in EVGA laptops.

"Supported" has a special meaning. "Supported" does not mean that it will or will not work. "Supported" means that it is designed by the software engineers to work and if it doesn't work, they will try to fix it. Mobile video cards are not supported by Precision. As I said, some functionality may or may not work with mobile video cards, but you should not expect it to work with mobile video cards, and anything which doesn't work with a mobile video card will not be fixed or addressed by Precision software engineers.

And, as I said, undervolting of ANY video card is not supported by current Precision developement -- whether it is for a supported or un-supported video card -- so, this is a pointless discussion in the first place.

In this link: 
    clearly, it says GTX Titan, 900, 700, and 600 series recommended. It never said desktop GPU. My GTX 965M works perfectly fine other than the fan control which obviously isn't associated with the GPU, but my motherboard. If you are saying now that there is a special meaning, you need to clarify that from the beginning. Also, its not just for EVGA products, my Asus GTX 750 Ti Strix works perfectly fine, full compatibility. Also, if it was truly was not supported, it would give an error, like when using a Tesla GPU, which is kind of obvious why it doesnt work with it well.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile