EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Seramire93
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/14 21:07:41 (permalink)
Hey guys, I have been having some issues with my laptop, I got it 4 months ago. Whenever I turn it on the display doesnt give any image, it has a bright black and the keyboard lights up, but there is no image, I have to force shut it down (holding the button), and then turn it on again, after doing this it will be normal. Also sometimes my screen goes black and flashes weird images (see images attached). 
Has anyone had similar issues? 

Attached Image(s)

36 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/14 22:27:31 (permalink)

Moved to the Laptop section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    demogis
    • Total Posts : 23
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:14:16 (permalink)
    ME TOO!!! I have an open ticket with customer service to see what is going on. So far, the initial fix isn't working.
    Seramire93
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:17:31 (permalink)
    Finally someone! What do you mean by initial fix, did you send it or did you try some software repair? It seems that is a hardware issue, I'm trying to send mine for warranty but I can't afford to be without a laptop at the moment. 
    demogis
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:22:38 (permalink)
    They told me to disable the fast boot option (Windows 10 Settings > System > Power > Additional Power Settings > Choose what the power button does > and click the checkbox that disables fast boot). This helped me get past the frozen screen, but boot and startup times are much slower now. The machine feels like a whole different computer. It was blazing fast at startup, now it hangs. I also can't get it back from sleep, so I have to hard reset every time (restarts aren't reliable either). I want my old computing experience back!!! They haven't suggested I send mine in yet. I just updated my ticket. Let's see.
    Seramire93
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:24:38 (permalink)
    Oh okay I see, apart from the boot problem, mine has random display crashes. So I'm going to send it in. I know, I wish it was as fast as before. 
    demogis
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:28:21 (permalink)
    That's awful. My screen only crashes at startup...for now...fingers crossed.
    Seramire93
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:31:41 (permalink)
    I hope you can fix yours!
    demogis
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/11/27 11:42:53 (permalink)
    Thanks. You too!
    napz0r
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/02 12:33:22 (permalink)
    I am having the same problem it started after a windows update i'm assuming the fall creators update. I also tried turning the fast boot option off. The laptop was amazing until this serious problem. I also get screen artifacts after the EVGA POST screen. It would be nice if a representative would let us know whats going on.

post edited by napz0r - 2017/12/02 12:46:45
    demogis
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/02 15:17:19 (permalink)
    I tried installing the feature update to Windows 10, 1709 and it keeps failing. I feel like it started after I did the Creators update as well. This really needs to be fixed. I just opened a new ticket. The screen is one issue, but I feel like it is bigger than that.
    napz0r
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/02 15:22:27 (permalink)
    I also just submitted a ticket, I tried every fix I could find online and none of them are working. I'm starting to think it's an RMA issue. The EVGA support for laptops seems to be lacking. I'm seriously disappointed in EVGA especially after dropping $2k+ on a laptop.

napz0r
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/03 07:23:00 (permalink)
    I was issued an RMA number for replacement, Good luck with your laptop Kudos EVGA.
    Seramire93
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/09 07:41:32 (permalink)
    Hey guys, I sent mine in for repair. Currently waiting for it to get back. Keep in mind that the RMA process for laptops can take from 3-5 days. I was told by many representatives that it was from 1-3 so I sent the laptop in, and later I was told that it could take up to 5 days, which is a real problem since I have an international flight soon and I scheduled everything with a 3 day process in mind. 
     Its good to know I'm not the only one with this awful problem, hope everything goes well with your laptops!
    Xeltharuc
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/12 11:52:38 (permalink)
    napz0r
    I am having the same problem it started after a windows update i'm assuming the fall creators update. I also tried turning the fast boot option off. The laptop was amazing until this serious problem. I also get screen artifacts after the EVGA POST screen. It would be nice if a representative would let us know whats going on.

+1 here : ive ordered one 2 weeks ago, got it, sended straight back to seller, got a new one : same issue ! Help please
    drdoomgod
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/15 13:05:08 (permalink)
    problem seems to  be windows creator update. After the update my screen goes black and stays that way. I suppressed the update and now it seems to work. Bad and temporary solution though....
    YogSothoth
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/15 22:40:25 (permalink)
    I received my SC17 w/ 1070 today. (W00t Xmas sale!) The first thing Windows wanted was to install the Creators Update. This went OK, but after a reboot, I left the machine idle and could not recover it from sleep. I forced a reboot with the power button, after which the trackpad had stopped working. I plugged in that free mouse and reinstalled the trackpad drivers, but no joy. 

Since I hadn't really spent any time on setup yet I decided to reset Windows... That process just finished and now I have a humming laptop with a black screen and no signs of life. No bueno, man. 
    hli362
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 01:10:41 (permalink)
    Wish I had read this post before tried to install the windows update (newest one)

Mine is also the 1070 one with GSYNC, the computer just went to black screen (not off, the screen light is on, just no color) for about a half hour. I lost my patience and did a hard shutdown then it rolled back to the old version. I tried again and the same thing happened again.

After some googling I found out that this may be an issue of Microsoft's new update, guess we just had to wait until it is fixed. 

The other thing is that this laptop has a very noisy fan, does anyone also find the fan noisy? Or I just get a lemon.
    YogSothoth
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 01:24:09 (permalink)
    It's been a long night but I got the machine back up. The Windows reset process resulted in a non-booting machine. I called EVGA and they suggested the Win10 thumb drive repair tool. Jeff (who was great) said he has never seen it fail. Well, I made a Win10 thumb drive and tried the Repair and Reset options it provides. All failed. At this point there was nothing left to do but reinstall Windows, so I did that. Fortunately, it came with the Creator's Update so I didn't have to wait another 2 hours and risk the same trackpad problem I had before. Also fortunately, Windows automagically reactivated itself. I've been reinstalling drivers and so far things seem fine.....

I still don't know why I got a black screen before and started this whole mess, though... 

tl;dr Do not try the Windows built-in "reset" feature! Have an 8 GB USB drive handy! 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 01:47:28 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I will make a wild guess and say that a background process is hampering the update.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

hli362
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 11:49:21 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I will make a wild guess and say that a background process is hampering the update.

A clean installation will solve this. I just did mine half a hour ago.
    YogSothoth
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 11:56:46 (permalink)
    This morning when I woke the machine, the screen stayed black for an alarmingly long time... seemed like 2-3 minutes. It did eventually wake up, but all my troubles started when I forced a power cycle during an apparent failure to wake up. Maybe I rushed it. 

If I do a quick sleep/wake, then it works as expected. If some time passes before I wake it, then it seems to wake up slowly, like maybe it's switching sleep modes. I've used a lot of Windows laptops but this behavior seems unusual. 

ykryukov
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 14:05:41 (permalink)
    Having the same issue with my new CS17. Got it few days ago. Also went to Best Buy and bought HP VR headset hoping to use it with my new fancy laptop.

Here is what happened:
    • Standard Windows updates were installed without issues. (although it a bit longer then I expected).
    • Got prompt to upgrade to Win10 Creators, so I can use HP VR headset.
    • Downloaded upgrade - started install.
    • Promoted reboot by Windows.
    • After first reboot @ 35% complete got grayed out screen.
    • Waited for hours, nothing happened.
    • Forced reboot - Windows recovers (goes back to previous version).
    • Im able to login and use it with no issues.
    • Tried upgrade multiple times - same result - gray screen and laptop is frozen.
    • Another non-issue is that laptop config has HDMI port on one side, and USB on another. HP headset cables do not stretch that long and I need to find extension cable to be able to plugin device.
    • Poor design on EVGA or HP side? You decide.

So my question to EVGA is: What is the solution for this issue (Win update)? Do we need to wait for Microsoft fix or EVGA has solution? Appreciate assistance!

Thanks
    Yev
    hli362
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 14:12:20 (permalink)
    ykryukov
    Having the same issue with my new CS17. Got it few days ago. Also went to Best Buy and bought HP VR headset hoping to use it with my new fancy laptop.

Here is what happened:
    • Standard Windows updates were installed without issues. (although it a bit longer then I expected).
    • Tried upgrade multiple times - same result - gray screen and laptop is frozen.
    • Another non-issue is that laptop config has HDMI port on one side, and USB on another. HP headset cables do not stretch that long and I need to find extension cable to be able to plugin device.

So my question to EVGA is: What is the solution for this issue (Win update)? Do we need to wait for Microsoft fix or EVGA has solution? Appreciate assistance!

Thanks
    Yev

Hi Yev,

Go find a 8GB usb 3.0 drive, then download the windows install software from this link . Execute on your EVGA laptop and create a USB boot drive, plug it in, press F7 when you start the computer and do a clean installation. You windows 10 will activate itself if you don't change any hardware inside your computer. The installed version will be v1709 which is the creator update. 

I don't know why this happened or whom to blame, but I think it might be Microsoft's fault. Also, please update your bios to the newest one, the fan will be quieter. 

Hope it helps.

H Lee
    hli362
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/16 14:14:19 (permalink)
    ykryukov

Here is what happened:

Thanks
    Yev

Search 

Create Windows 10 installation media

to get the installation tool

I guess you cannot post a link here. 

kdthai86
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/19 19:19:26 (permalink)
    Same problem here. Evga screen would freeze on startup, turns black, shows some artifacts, then boot into windows. The entire startup process now takes a lot longer than before. Also, brightness reset to max on every startup.

Update: Seems like Nvidia Driver 387.XX and above causes booting issues. After uninstalling the latest (388.59) and reinstalling 385.69, everything is back to normal again--fast boot from shutdown and restart.
    post edited by kdthai86 - 2017/12/19 21:43:27
    paetoriat
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/21 02:39:39 (permalink)
    Ugh wish I had read all these comments first. I am in the process of reverting my  windows back to default after I managed to get it to boot into windows (black screen issue after auto updating to latest windows) through the settings -> recovery tool. My problem now is....I think it's stuck on a black screen after trying to revert....not sure if I just need to leave it on for awhile or if its actually stuck....kinda of afraid to hit the reset button and bricking my new laptop....ugh wish they gave us a warning that these laptops have major problems out of the box.
    drdoomgod
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/21 02:52:01 (permalink)
    paetoriat
    Ugh wish I had read all these comments first. I am in the process of reverting my  windows back to default after I managed to get it to boot into windows (black screen issue after auto updating to latest windows) through the settings -> recovery tool. My problem now is....I think it's stuck on a black screen after trying to revert....not sure if I just need to leave it on for awhile or if its actually stuck....kinda of afraid to hit the reset button and bricking my new laptop....ugh wish they gave us a warning that these laptops have major problems out of the box.

Try to reset bios (press little hole above power button). This allows me boot into windows when getting a black screen.
    Thannatos21
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/27 09:51:06 (permalink)
    I'm having the same problem as most of you. Shutdown the laptop, press power button, evga logo flashes, static flashes, black and nothing. Hold power button to force shut-off, press power button to turn on, starts normally. I've repeated and verified this multiple times, every time the same. SC17 1070 with Gsync.
    YogSothoth
    Re: EVGA CS17 GSYNC Laptop problem 2017/12/27 09:57:54 (permalink)
    I thought my problems had gone away but this morning I did have the wake-from-hibernate-to-black-screen problem. I got the machine back up without powering off, though. Maybe it was a fluke, but...

- Try to wake machine, get black screen instead
    - WAIT a couple of minutes for Windows to completely wake up (I could tell when my Torq mouse lit up)
    - Close the lid to begin sleep
    - Open the lid, computer wakes up like normal

In the past I also once got past the black screen of doom by simply waiting about 5 minutes. It appeared to eventually exit hibernation correctly.

Something is goofy, that's for sure. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile