Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/12/10 12:40:42 (permalink)
Hi all,

First the specs:

Core i7-6800K CPU (stock speed no OC)
EVGA X99 FTW-K Motherboard (BIOS version 2.01)
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 Power Supply 
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 GPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4A2400C14 (4x8gb) this is from EVGA QVL for this MB
Intel SSD 240GB
Windows 10 Pro

Now very occasionally it happened 2 or 3 times for the last year. I got this rig now for little over a year now and everything works great i can game for hours and hours without a hickup or any other basic task.

The first time i ignored it but today it happened again AFTER 5 days NOT using my game rig and its cold inside my room i checked the manual for beep codes it says: "System Timer Failure" either it has to do with the MB being faulty or RAM or USB....
I must say i am using one keyboard and one mouse for BOTH of my rigs one game rig and one that i use for work. In order to do this i am using a KVM switch sometimes i forget switching and one of the pc's post without keyboard and mouse so i need to press the KVM switch button. Before this happens most of the times i just hear the "good beeps" like a melody telling me everything is fine even without keyboard and mouse.

Odd thing i also get a couple of beeps cant recall exactly 3 short one long or 4 beeps on my secondary rig (asus AMD sabertooth) whenever the rig knows i have no keyboard and mouse attached since i forgot yet again to switch via KVM switch.

So is this really a MB failure...should it not die by now? even though i can post just fine into desktop even with the 4 beeps, just to make sure i then do hard reset it boots fine and normal restart and it boots just fine including the melody beeps telling everything is ok. Something tells me its the KVM switch causing this but i can be wrong....I'm at a loss here since i can post into desktop just fine even when this error beep thing happened for 3 or 4 times the last year since i got this rig.

What should i do now from here?

*EDIT*

Got the updates for W10 in which it had to restart a couple of times and no 4 beeps just the "melody" beeps that everything is ok every time it restarts. I can not replicate the 4 beeps. It only happened 3 or 4 times this year....

Thanks in advance.
post edited by CobraCommand - 2017/12/10 13:49:30

9 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/10 15:55:56 (permalink)
    Odd that it happens only once in a while. Update your bios to the latest version to see if it helps get rid of the issue.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/10 17:04:59 (permalink)
    I've had my X99 Classified beep at me before (and not the regular beeps that count the USB devices during POST). It turned out that my CMOS battery was nearly dead, and replacing it stopped the random "bad" beeps on boot. Funny thing is, the motherboard isn't all that old and needed a replacement before my X79 Dark motherboard did.

If your board stopped doing it then I wouldn't worry about it.
    CobraCommand
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/10 18:15:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.

So even though it happened a couple of times over the past year this "4 beeps on post" yet I can use my rig without issue ie it does go to desktop even with the 4 beeps.

In the beginning when I first had this rig I had a "A2 error" on post every time the forum members here suggested a brand new cmos battery in which I followed that good advise no more "A2 error". Since then no errors or critical errors used this rig pretty much every day for hardcore gaming sessions without issue.

Either this 4 beep error has something to do with my KVM USB SWITCH this thing is concealed so I can't see which rig it is connected to I made sure I can see the light on which rig it is on so I always boot correctly.

So I don't need to worry as arestavo said? I mean if this was a critical error it should have died 9-10 months ago....

So best course of action now is update to latest bios version even though everything works fine except for this 4 beep that happened a couple of times over a period of a year.

Or is it the cmos battery again?? Do I need to replace it again even after a year cmos battery should last for years correct?
    If this happens again even with an updated bios AND making sure the KVM USB SWITCH is connected to the proper rig then well...it's probably the mb or ram I sure hope it's not the mb...to much work went into this rig.

The only times if memory recalls this 4 beep comes is when my KVM USB SWITCH is NOT connected to my game rig...yet enough times without my rig being connected to my KVM switch I don't get the 4 beeps....odd.
    post edited by CobraCommand - 2017/12/10 18:35:56
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/10 19:12:58 (permalink)
    The beeps on these boards are odd to me as they aren't your usual shorter beeps from the past MBs.  I literally turned off mine and have been fine ever since.  If something should go wrong, I pay attention to the Bug LED display on the MB and go from there.  If you're booting up and everything looks n runs fine and dandy, I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    CobraCommand
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/10 20:30:28 (permalink)
    Alright,

2 people telling i shouldn't worry since it happened a view times this "4 beep" on post in one year yet still can use my rig without issue when IT happens.

I now will check my KVM USB SWITCH every time i switch from pc's to make sure it is connected to the proper pc. So i'm hoping it wont happen again even if i can enter my desktop. If it happens more frequently i will resurrect this thread again for further help/advise this include already an updated BIOS if i need further assistance.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions/help.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/11 07:16:49 (permalink)
    During a typical boot-up, you'll hear (if enabled in BIOS) 4 - 5 short beeps in rapid succession depending how many connected USB devices you have.  All normal.

SethH
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/11 07:55:43 (permalink)
    bdary
    During a typical boot-up, you'll hear (if enabled in BIOS) 4 - 5 short beeps in rapid succession depending how many connected USB devices you have.  All normal.

I believe it does this for drives you have connected too. I think it beeps when it initializes every device connected (USB + drives) because mine beeps about 10 times. 4 USB, 6 drives.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/11 08:01:06 (permalink)
    SethH
    bdary

I believe it does this for drives you have connected too. I think it beeps when it initializes every device connected (USB + drives) because mine beeps about 10 times. 4 USB, 6 drives.

I have 5 connected USB devices, 3 SSD's, and 1 HDD.  I get 5 short beeps during boot-up.  Maybe an EVGA tech will see this thread and chime in with an answer on this.

CobraCommand
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 4 beeps on my EVGA X99 FTW-K 2017/12/11 12:42:11 (permalink)
    Normally when it boots I can hear this melody beeps like a beat "beep...beep de beep, beep beep" something like that whenever everything is A -OK I've done some searching apparently this melody beep is telling you all is OK during post. The 4 beep I had is mono tone just 4 cold beeps "beep..beep..beep..beep". It did this 3 or 4 times this year and I suspect it's my KVM USB SWITCH so I can use one keyboard and one mouse on two pc's but sometimes I forget to enable the proper channel to use my game rig so it boots without keyboard and mouse well most of the times it just posts with the melody beeps. But a view times it did not ie the cold 4 beeps yet I can enter desktop no issue.

Right as of today just a normal boot up made sure the KVM USB SWITCH is connected to the correct pc.
    In any case if it happens more frequently hopefully NOT IL resurrect this thread.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile