EVGA

Helpful ReplyWhat settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ?

Author
Maverick1776
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1002
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2017/12/10 05:34:33 (permalink)
I am new to mining, so I am unfamiliar with what my settings should be. I left the settings at default.
I'm mining for litecoins using multiminer. For some reason, I can only find very little information on what settings to add into the configuration file. I only seen what you should set your gpu core & memory clock to.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is cgminer a better tool for this? I set it up, and it works, but again, not familiar with what the GPU settings should be.

Settings for GPU as of now.

"intensity" : "16",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "8192",
"shaders" : "2048",
"gpu-engine" : "1600",
"gpu-fan" : "85",
"gpu-memclock" : "666",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "75",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "65",
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "1",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "1",
"scrypt" : true,
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
post edited by Maverick1776 - 2017/12/10 05:47:35

Ranmacanada
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 992
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2017/12/10 11:48:46 (permalink)
Litecoin is an ASICS only coin now.  You're better off to mine something else instead and then sell that coin and buy Litecoin with the profits.  You'll LOSE money mining Litecoin with a graphics card.  A 1070 does 0.8 Mhash a day, which gets you 0.05 Litecoins in a YEAR.  Mine something else :).

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
AMD Ryzen 2700
Fold for the CURE!
EVGA 1080 FTW
EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

Maverick1776
FTW Member
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2017/12/11 07:54:18 (permalink)
Ranmacanada
Litecoin is an ASICS only coin now.  You're better off to mine something else instead and then sell that coin and buy Litecoin with the profits.  You'll LOSE money mining Litecoin with a graphics card.  A 1070 does 0.8 Mhash a day, which gets you 0.05 Litecoins in a YEAR.  Mine something else :).

Thanks, but do you know what gpu settings are good for mining?

Ranmacanada
SSC Member
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2017/12/11 08:28:50 (permalink)
Not for Litecoin, as it's useless to do it.  In the amount of time you will earn .05 Litecoins, you could have earned 50x that value in bitcoins using other mining platforms mining other, easier to mine coins, like Lux, Mona, Feathercoin, ZEC, Zcash, etc.  Don't mine Litecoin, period.  If you're going to ask for instructions on how to do it, I'll just ignore you, and so will everyone else, as it's literally the dumbest thing you can do.  0.05 Litecoin is about $9, and that's for an entire years worth of work.  Think about it. 

Mine a more profitable coin, and sell the coin and buy Litcoin with the profits.  That is the smart way to do it.  You can't mine Litecoin.  Every other coin you can mine, the mining pools have the directions on the help pages to show you exactly how to setup the miners.  If you're a beginner I would suggest miningpoolhub or supranova.cc. Get an account at Bittrex, Cryptopia, Binance, Livecoin, or any one of the multiple exchanges.  Ensure you have 2FA turned on to protect your account, and save your 2FA.

To know what coins you should be mining go here https://whattomine.com/coins In 3 days, you will make more money mining altcoins than you will in an entire year trying to mine Litecoin.

AMD Ryzen 2700
Fold for the CURE!
EVGA 1080 FTW
EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

Maverick1776
FTW Member
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2017/12/11 09:42:17 (permalink)
Ranmacanada
Not for Litecoin, as it's useless to do it.  In the amount of time you will earn .05 Litecoins, you could have earned 50x that value in bitcoins using other mining platforms mining other, easier to mine coins, like Lux, Mona, Feathercoin, ZEC, Zcash, etc.  Don't mine Litecoin, period.  If you're going to ask for instructions on how to do it, I'll just ignore you, and so will everyone else, as it's literally the dumbest thing you can do.  0.05 Litecoin is about $9, and that's for an entire years worth of work.  Think about it. 

Mine a more profitable coin, and sell the coin and buy Litcoin with the profits.  That is the smart way to do it.  You can't mine Litecoin.  Every other coin you can mine, the mining pools have the directions on the help pages to show you exactly how to setup the miners.  If you're a beginner I would suggest miningpoolhub or supranova.cc. Get an account at Bittrex, Cryptopia, Binance, Livecoin, or any one of the multiple exchanges.  Ensure you have 2FA turned on to protect your account, and save your 2FA.

To know what coins you should be mining go here https://whattomine.com/coins In 3 days, you will make more money mining altcoins than you will in an entire year trying to mine Litecoin.

My bad, I think I should rephrase my question. Do you know what GPU settings are good for the mining client? That's what I meant to say.
Referring to the settings you would add into the configuration file for cgminer,claymore, etc

Ranmacanada
SSC Member
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2017/12/11 09:54:56 (permalink)
That will all be determined by what you want to mine and what pool you want to mine on.  As I said all those instructions are usually on the actual pools themselves.  As you haven't said what currency you want to mine, which is EXTREMELY important, I'm just going to go ahead and go with monacoin, as it is currently one of the most profitable for your coin.  Mona uses ccminer, and your command looks like this ccminer-x64.exe -a lyra2v2 -o stratum+tcp://hub.miningpoolhub.com:20593 -u username.workername -p anythinghere  It's that easy.  This is for miningpoolhub, and for windows ccminer using cuda9 (same command basically for linux).  Most pools will have the instructions right on the help page.  It literally will take 30 seconds to get your miner up and running.  If you want to zcash I would suggest flypool.  It's more stable and honest.  

You're confusing yourself with all that extra unneeded crap.  You don't need to use no fancy multiminer crap.  The same few coins are always at the top, just pick 1 and mine it, as you only have 1 card, and not a farm.  With 1 card you're not going to make more than a few cents a day swapping between currencies.  Pick 1 and stick with it.  It's easier, and you don't need fancy smancy confusing extra settings.  All you do is just run it and go.

AMD Ryzen 2700
Fold for the CURE!
EVGA 1080 FTW
EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2017/12/14 04:15:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Maverick1776 2018/01/07 08:25:52
The answer is "it depends on what miner program, what algorithm, and what card you are using".

The reason you didn't find info on Nvidia cards for mining Litecoin is that even back when they WERE viable to mine with a GPU, AMD cards for half or LESS of the price would outperform the NVidia cards that were available - and that was about 5 years ago, long before the Nvidia 10 series existed.

There are algorithms that Nvidia cards ARE very good at mining - equihash (ZEC/ZEN and other coins) for example the current "most efficient" option is the 1070 ti with the 1080 the current "affordable hashrate king" at slightly less efficiency, and the 1070 and 1080 also in the same ballpark on efficiency - and the cards are all very close on hash/$ as well.

LyraV2r2 is another algorithm Nvidia cards are very good at.

Other algorithms NVidia is not currently a good option on - ethash (ETH/ETC and such coins) the 1060 is somewhat competative on hash/$ to the RX 470/480/570/580 but usually loses, the 1070 WAS competative for a while when AMD cards were getting gouge priced into the SAME price range as the 1070 (and both were being pushed into high 1080 price range) but at current pricing is no longer a good option, the 1080 and 1080 ti were never competative on hash/$ due to the latency of their GDDR 5X memory making them have very poor hashrates for the price (the 1070 mines ETH FASTER than the 1080, and the 1080ti is only 15-20% faster than the 1070 at not a lot less than double the price).

For ZEC (Zcash) mining I also recommend flypool - best reliability out of all the pools I have tried, and very transparent on their stats.

Whattomine only does a few select coins on it's "comparison" page, but they tend to be the most popular and *most* of the high-profit coins.
 Other coins will sometimes be higher profit, but the total hashrate on them is so small that even a FEW miners shifting can kill their profitability.

One of the reasons I mention ZEC is that it probably has the second-most GPUs pointed at it - it's rarely going to see huge swings in network hashrate moving the difficulty a ton and killing profitability - usually it's the PRICE swings that do that.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Maverick1776
FTW Member
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2018/01/07 08:31:08 (permalink)
QuintLeo
The answer is "it depends on what miner program, what algorithm, and what card you are using".

The reason you didn't find info on Nvidia cards for mining Litecoin is that even back when they WERE viable to mine with a GPU, AMD cards for half or LESS of the price would outperform the NVidia cards that were available - and that was about 5 years ago, long before the Nvidia 10 series existed.

There are algorithms that Nvidia cards ARE very good at mining - equihash (ZEC/ZEN and other coins) for example the current "most efficient" option is the 1070 ti with the 1080 the current "affordable hashrate king" at slightly less efficiency, and the 1070 and 1080 also in the same ballpark on efficiency - and the cards are all very close on hash/$ as well.

LyraV2r2 is another algorithm Nvidia cards are very good at.

Other algorithms NVidia is not currently a good option on - ethash (ETH/ETC and such coins) the 1060 is somewhat competative on hash/$ to the RX 470/480/570/580 but usually loses, the 1070 WAS competative for a while when AMD cards were getting gouge priced into the SAME price range as the 1070 (and both were being pushed into high 1080 price range) but at current pricing is no longer a good option, the 1080 and 1080 ti were never competative on hash/$ due to the latency of their GDDR 5X memory making them have very poor hashrates for the price (the 1070 mines ETH FASTER than the 1080, and the 1080ti is only 15-20% faster than the 1070 at not a lot less than double the price).

For ZEC (Zcash) mining I also recommend flypool - best reliability out of all the pools I have tried, and very transparent on their stats.

Whattomine only does a few select coins on it's "comparison" page, but they tend to be the most popular and *most* of the high-profit coins.
 Other coins will sometimes be higher profit, but the total hashrate on them is so small that even a FEW miners shifting can kill their profitability.

One of the reasons I mention ZEC is that it probably has the second-most GPUs pointed at it - it's rarely going to see huge swings in network hashrate moving the difficulty a ton and killing profitability - usually it's the PRICE swings that do that.

Thanks for this info. I just switched from mining ETH to ZEC. But initially I chose nanopool. I will try flypool next to see the difference. 
I feel like I may be making less, mining ZEC. I got to compare more. 
Is there an optimized miner for zcash ?
Currently I am using oneminer, which works pretty good, and has an easy to use GUI.
ETH = 32.5 MH/s
ZEC = 460 Sol/s

QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2018/01/07 11:48:26 (permalink)
oneminer I've never heard of before.
The current ZEC (and other equihash coins) mining options are EBWF, DSTM, and BMiner - but they're all pretty close on performance, mining ZEC seems to have hit "mature near-optimised" on the software side.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Zerospinduelist
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What settings should you use for a GTX 1070 FE ? 2018/01/29 14:24:41 (permalink)
you can mess with the memory oc and lowering voltage to try and improve efficency. Profit is not just your hashrate, consider your power usage. Under powering a card by 20% may only lower hashrate 2%...potentially more profitable. Most of my cards run at 85% power and with underclocked core frequencies, while the memory is overclocked. Test things out and see what works best for you. Good luck!
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile