EVGA

X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code

Author
Foxsnipe
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/20 19:08:22 (permalink)
Hey all.  Need some help here with my (formerly stable as a rock since 2009/2010) X58 system.  Intel Core i7 920, GTX 670FTW, 6x2GB Crucial Ballistix, Corsair 850HX PSU, EVGA X58 SLI (p/n: 132-BL-E758-A1).

This AM everything was working fine.  Come home from work and suddenly I notice all my peripherals are without power (keyboard, mouse), monitor shows no picture, RAM LEDs show no activity.  Just fans & HDDs spinning, on-board LEDs shining brightly.  Power/reset buttons do nothing.  I flip the PSU switch to power off, flip it back & power the system on.  Again, HDDs & fans spin up, on-board LEDs light up but nothing else happens.  No POST, no beep codes, nothing.  Even the on-board diagnostic LED (boot/error codes) is dead.  The LEDs at the bottom of the Ballistics RAM light but the activity LEDs on the top are dark.

I've already reseated all the RAM and GPU.  I tried using just half of my RAM in DIMMs 1,3,5.  Reseated the 8-pin power cable.  The only other oddity I noticed was the fan connection (JAUX) for the SB  NB initially spins the fan when the system first powers up but then the fan stops.  I tried several fans, same thing.  Even unplugging the fan & then putting it back in results in the fan spinning for a few seconds and then it stops.

Suggestions before I "try" & take advantage of my lifetime warranty? 
post edited by Foxsnipe - 2017/11/21 18:43:19

12 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/11/20 22:21:27 (permalink)
    Foxsnipe
    Hey all.  Need some help here with my (formerly stable as a rock since 2009/2010) X58 system.  Intel Core i7 920, GTX 670FTW, 6x2GB Crucial Ballistix, Corsair 850HX PSU, EVGA X58 SLI (p/n: 132-BL-E758-A1).

This AM everything was working fine.  Come home from work and suddenly I notice all my peripherals are without power (keyboard, mouse), monitor shows no picture, RAM LEDs show no activity.  Just fans & HDDs spinning, on-board LEDs shining brightly.  Power/reset buttons do nothing.  I flip the PSU switch to power off, flip it back & power the system on.  Again, HDDs & fans spin up, on-board LEDs light up but nothing else happens.  No POST, no beep codes, nothing.  Even the on-board diagnostic LED (boot/error codes) is dead.  The LEDs at the bottom of the Ballistics RAM light but the activity LEDs on the top are dark.

I've already reseated all the RAM and GPU.  I tried using just half of my RAM in DIMMs 1,3,5.  Reseated the 8-pin power cable.  The only other oddity I noticed was the fan connection (JAUX) for the SB initially spins the fan when the system first powers up but then the fan stops.  I tried several fans, same thing.  Even unplugging the fan & then putting it back in results in the fan spinning for a few seconds and then it stops.

Suggestions before I "try" & take advantage of my lifetime warranty? 

Do you have another PSU to test with or a decent multimeter to check the voltage?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Foxsnipe
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/11/21 05:54:52 (permalink)
    I took a spare PSU and hooked it up to just the main 24- & 8-pin connections (leaving the original unit to power all the attached components), no change.  Still no POST, beeps or diag code.  I'll have to track down where I put my multimeter to check the voltages.
    Foxsnipe
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/11/21 18:54:32 (permalink)
    Finally found where I stashed my multimeter.  Reading from the on-board testing points, with only a couple minor PCI cards installed (was too lazy to unscrew them), no RAM, no GPU, and only the CPU/couple system fans.  Also, in my original message, I mentioned how the fan connection near the SB only ran the fan for a couple seconds.  That's actually at the NB location, mixed up the board orientation.

vCore = 4.1mV (not a typo... 0.004V)
    VTT = 168.4mV
    IOH = 1.095V
    DIMM = 1.544V

I fully expect someone to paste in an Adam Savage "there's your problem."  Which of course leads into the obvious "what the hell?"
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/11/21 19:31:06 (permalink)
    Foxsnipe
    I took a spare PSU and hooked it up to just the main 24- & 8-pin connections (leaving the original unit to power all the attached components), no change.  Still no POST, beeps or diag code.  I'll have to track down where I put my multimeter to check the voltages.

That's not a good idea. You really need everything to be running off a totally different unit or your still powering half your rig with a potentially faulty unit, which of course, is not going to give you a definitive answer.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/11/21 23:08:21 (permalink)
    You can try unplug the power cord, hit the start button to discharge electric.
    Then take the 3.3v battery out. Short the BIOS pins or hold down the reset CMOS button for 60 seconds.
    Leave the battery out over night.
    Next day install battery, plug it in and turn it on and see if she posts.
    If not i7-920 CPU are selling really cheap on ebay, buy one ans see if it works.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/11/22 03:07:13 (permalink)
    Foxsnipe

vCore = 4.1mV (not a typo... 0.004V)

I fully expect someone to paste in an Adam Savage "there's your problem."  Which of course leads into the obvious "what the hell?"

There's your problem!

The VID Voltage Range (the Min/Max voltage operating range at stock frequency) for an i7-920 is 0.800V-1.375V..It's not getting enough voltage to even turn on..Caused by a bad PSU 8-pin ATX_12V Power Connector (EPS 12V)/bad PSU, bad ground, or mobo CPU voltage regulation circuitry..Check the power and ground of that connector..Might wanna wiggle it around and see if the voltage comes into spec on the multimeter at the test points..Sounds like a bad mobo though.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Foxsnipe
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2017/12/15 17:46:22 (permalink)
    Hate to bump this but I don't really think it quite fits in the other/newer forums...

So I sent in my X58 for RMA and EVGA apparently found a couple bent CPU pins & are rejecting it.  Not sure I'm really happy with that excuse when the primary issue I have seems to be with the voltage going to the CPU (I would think the test point is before the socket).  The CPU was never even removed over this 8 year life of the mobo.

On the very likely chance I can't resurrect the board by trying to fix the pins, I'm probably up a creek with this build.  Making things worse, I hadn't gotten around to upgrading to Win 10 yet (yeah yeah, quiet).  Anyone have any experience with moving Win 7 to a Z270/X299 build and then making an upgrade attempt?  I have way too much software & such invested to make a clean start something I really want to entertain, and the anti-Win7 opinion of Microsoft/Intel be damned.  Just want to get it running enough I can try for an in-place upgrade.
    post edited by Foxsnipe - 2017/12/15 17:48:41
    elysics
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2021/02/14 05:50:29 (permalink)
    On the off chance that anyone else is still using this board and runs into this issue at some point, for posterity's sake, i just want to post how i fixed/mitigated this.

I had this issue for a long time to the point where i presumed the MB and CPU dead for a year until it randomly turned on when i pressed the button on a whim. Then the issue came and went, with me doing powercycling and completely taking it apart and putting it back together again for it to first work and then stop working again.

What i eventually found is that during boot, when the board is in the state where the internal reset button glows and the post code segment display is dead, applying slight pressure to the first 12V CPU power connector fixes the problem and lets the system boot, at which point i don't need to apply pressure anymore. Maybe it is the connector itself that has cracked solder or some other part in the vicinity, maybe some cap. Another symptom is that when the psu is completely shut off, the time until all leds turn off is shorter when the issue is present than when it isn't, leading me to believe that it is probably a cap somewhere.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2021/02/14 05:58:26 (permalink)
    elysics
    On the off chance that anyone else is still using this board and runs into this issue at some point, for posterity's sake, i just want to post how i fixed/mitigated this.

I had this issue for a long time to the point where i presumed the MB and CPU dead for a year until it randomly turned on when i pressed the button on a whim. Then the issue came and went, with me doing powercycling and completely taking it apart and putting it back together again for it to first work and then stop working again.

What i eventually found is that during boot, when the board is in the state where the internal reset button glows and the post code segment display is dead, applying slight pressure to the first 12V CPU power connector fixes the problem and lets the system boot, at which point i don't need to apply pressure anymore. Maybe it is the connector itself that has cracked solder or some other part in the vicinity, maybe some cap. Another symptom is that when the psu is completely shut off, the time until all leds turn off is shorter when the issue is present than when it isn't, leading me to believe that it is probably a cap somewhere.

Thanks for posting. I'm sure there are still a few X58 motherboards out there still in use. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

gregkrusz
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2021/02/19 21:20:03 (permalink)
    Hi I Still Have X58 LSI CLASSIFIED  MB  and it is looking good But I need to flash Bios and maybe some one still remember how to do this.
    Thanks
    G.

PromETHieus
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2021/03/14 13:25:15 (permalink)
    I have the sr2 board and with this the NB fan was Starting and stopping, turned out the board was analysing itself, due to myself trying to get 96 Gb of ram working, I found out what it was, I stripped all off board and started with 1 ram slot. Hope you get it sorted. I have 96 Gb running now, so was improper procedure on my part. But got there in the end. 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: X58 powers up but no POST or LED diag code 2021/03/14 13:34:09 (permalink)
    gregkrusz
    Hi I Still Have X58 LSI CLASSIFIED  MB  and it is looking good But I need to flash Bios and maybe some one still remember how to do this.
    Thanks
    G.

EVGA X58 Motherboard USB BIOS Flash Tutorial (I show myself finally) - Bing video

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile