krashbandit
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/13 05:17:57 (permalink)
So I built a rig using:
AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0 motherboard
Corsair HX1200i power supply
Kingston Value RAM 4gb, 1600mhz pc3-12800 DDR3 (2 of these)
EVGA GTX1070Ti SC (4 of these)
EVGA GTX1070Ti FTW2 (2 of these)
Silicon Power 60GB SSD S55

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to building mining rigs, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this system won't work.  When using onboard video everything is good to go...Then when I plug in the first GPU it crashes during installation every time(most of the time locking up at startup after restart as well).  I've uninstalled the cards, replaced the powered riser(twice), reinstalled Windows 10, installed the newest version of Windows 10, and talked to Nvidia support last night for over an hour.  I switched out the SC for the FTW2(which has two power inputs) and it fired up.  Then I tried to hook up two of the SC cards and it crashed again...and now it won't even boot as it locks up at the Windows screen and that little spinning thing under the Win icon is frozen.  I had no real trouble booting to BIOS, and told BIOS to search for an update but it didn't find one.  

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?  I'm not sure I can go any further with this, given my level of knowledge.  I figured I'd post on here and see if anyone had any ideas before I just take the computer to someone to fix or just sell the components off.  Thanks in advance for any help.

6 Replies Related Threads

krashbandit
    Re: GTX1070TI problems installing 2017/11/13 08:31:12 (permalink)
    I'm starting to lean towards the AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0 motherboard maybe not supporting the GTX1070Ti card yet.  Has anybody successfully installed that card on that mobo before?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: GTX1070TI problems installing 2017/11/13 08:42:03 (permalink)
    Try with 1 card. Once you get everything i stalled and working, test each card individually to verify they all work. You may have 1 bad card. Yes, it takes time, but at least you can fine out where the issue is occurring.

Once you have tested every card, 1 by 1, then start installing them until you get an error testing each step of the way.

Also, this thread would be best suited for the crypto currency forum, as thy have more experience with mining in there. They may be able to provide much better information than most general users. The mods can move it for you, so do not repost.
    krashbandit
    Re: GTX1070TI problems installing 2017/11/13 10:47:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, I was only starting with one card.  The others were not plugged up yet.  I did switch the card out 3 times, but that didn't fix it.  I did try sticking one of the GTX1070Ti's in my GTX1070 rig, and it almost immediately crashed(tried to install the driver for that card automatically).  I reverted to the previous driver after removing the card and everything worked again.  I'm thinking the Mobo might not be capable of working with this card yet...Can't think of any other explanation at this time.

*sorry, didn't realize there was a crypto forum*
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX1070TI problems installing 2017/11/13 14:39:39 (permalink)
    krashbandit
    I switched out the SC for the FTW2(which has two power inputs) and it fired up.  Then I tried to hook up two of the SC cards and it crashed again.

So the FTW2's work fine, but the SC's don't? That's odd. Do the SC's work fine in another pc?

Moving thread to the cryptocurrency subsection.
    krashbandit
    Re: GTX1070TI problems installing 2017/11/14 08:00:25 (permalink)
    The FTW2 worked at first, but then I turned the computer off and installed two SC's (so up to 3 total cards now) and then the display never came back.  I removed the SC's again, but it still didn't come back.  I contacted ASrock and they said to return the motherboard for exchange, which I will do today.  If I hadn't already built two other rigs using almost the exact same components(except the power supply and video cards) I'd think it might be a simple mistake...but maybe it is a rookie mistake...Who knows?
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GTX1070TI problems installing 2017/11/15 16:41:53 (permalink)
    Had a build I was working on earlier this week using the H81 Rev 2 - and it DOES in fact work with the GTX 1070 ti but turned out that the guy I was building it for had gotten a bad BATCH of risers - worked fine with a riser I borrowed from one of my own rigs or with a card in the 16-bit slot directly, but would not work at ALL with any of his risers.

All of the GPUs were the EVGA SC model.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile