kinda plain jane

Author
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 56
2017/10/05 09:58:07 (permalink)
have to say the look is a bit boring and plain. the I/O cover will be mostly blocked by rear case fan in alot of cases, straight power connector and headers and only 8+4 cpu power. seems to have been rushed and taken a step backwards.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498

22 Replies Related Threads

iVXZyTox9362XVi
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/05 10:12:49 (permalink)
    Im going to be truly honest these boards look ugly
    post edited by Sajin - 2017/10/05 10:17:22
    _AlanT
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/05 15:29:39 (permalink)
    I'm going to be truly biased, I'm loving all the beautiful shades of grey on these boards! 
    post edited by EVGATech_AlanT - 2017/10/05 16:30:52
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/05 15:39:05 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AlanT
    I'm going to be truly biased, I'm loving the all the beautiful shades of grey on these boards! 

Welcome to the Forum EVGATech_AlanT
    As I am, I am not into RGB.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

justin_43
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3326
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/05 17:51:23 (permalink)
    I think the boards look awesome. I wish they were all black, but even with the white cover they still look really good to me. I'm into sleek understated looking hardware. I hate the RGB and flashy stuff. Great job EVGA
    I would consider the FTW, but I don't like the M.2 placement on these boards. Seems like they would get hot right under the graphics cards. I hope someone will tell me I am wrong about that.
    post edited by willdearborn - 2017/10/05 17:55:54

ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC • Intel Core i7 12700K • MSI Z690 Edge WiFi • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z • EVGA 1600T2 PSU
    3x 2TB Samsung 980 Pros in RAID 0 • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro • 2x WD 2TB Blacks in RAID 0 • Lian-Li PC-D600WB
    EK Quantum Velocity • EK Quantum Vector² • EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 • 2x Alphacool 420mm Rads
    LG CX 48" • 2x Wasabi Mango UHD430s 43" • HP LP3065 30" • Ducky Shine 7 Blackout • Logitech MX Master
    Sennheiser HD660S w/ XLR • Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD • Drop + THX AAA 789 • DarkVoice 336SE OTL
    sHans3n
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/06 06:03:37 (permalink)
    My Z170 Classified K looks 100% better than any of these 370 boards.

:D
    Otavio7
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/06 10:43:18 (permalink)
    I hope the MATX is a budget motherboard!
    Also missing U.2 ... Intel announced optane 900p U.2 and PCIe.
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/06 12:47:41 (permalink)
    willdearborn
    I think the boards look awesome. I wish they were all black, but even with the white cover they still look really good to me. I'm into sleek understated looking hardware. I hate the RGB and flashy stuff. Great job EVGA
    I would consider the FTW, but I don't like the M.2 placement on these boards. Seems like they would get hot right under the graphics cards. I hope someone will tell me I am wrong about that.

they can get toasty, especially the faster drives, one of the reasons boards from asus and such moved them.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/07 16:13:28 (permalink)
    willdearborn

RGB on any motherboard can be disabled in the BIOS. Depending on the GPU you have, it could blow hot air right onto the #2 m.2 spot. I like how ASUS puts a m.2 slot on bottom right away from the PCI-E slots.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/07 22:21:51 (permalink)
    MSim
    willdearborn

RGB on any motherboard can be disabled in the BIOS. Depending on the GPU you have, it could blow hot air right onto the #2 m.2 spot. I like how ASUS puts a m.2 slot on bottom right away from the PCI-E slots.

yeah asus does it right, one above the top pcie slot and one at the bottom right of the board. they do have few boards with vertical mounting, not really a fan of that, the one that uses a adapter and goes into a dimm type slot is kinda ok i guess, but it does look strange.

Method320
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/12 14:28:01 (permalink)
    These new boards are hideous. Z97 and Z170 evga boards are much better aesthetically. 
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/14 16:14:37 (permalink)
    Method320
    These new boards are hideous. Z97 and Z170 evga boards are much better aesthetically. 

yeah im kinda picky on the look, i bought a z170 and stepped up to a z270 classified right when they released for that very reason.

mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/15 21:23:30 (permalink)
    I like the look of my z170 Classified K over the z370 ones personally.

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

Edome
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 271
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/16 14:33:41 (permalink)
    Time to get some spray cans to spice up the aesthetics of these boards a little :)
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/16 21:57:25 (permalink)
    Edome
    Time to get some spray cans to spice up the aesthetics of these boards a little :)

That would void the warranty.           

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Shadowdane
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/19 10:08:30 (permalink)
    I'm liking the board designs!!     The PC Gaming hardware space has gotten too flashy & busy with RGB everything.    ugh!

I've always liked minimalistic designs..    so these boards look to be exactly what I was looking for.

I haven't 100% decided yet on a motherboard..      I was semi-decided on the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero, but I'm holding off until I see some more details and prices on these EVGA boards.

* Fractal-Design Define R5 * Seasonic X-1050 PSU * Asus Maximus X Hero *
    * Intel i9-9900K * 32GB G.Skill DDR4-4000 C17-17-17-37 *
    * NZXT Kraken X62 280mm Cooler * MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Duke OC *
    * Samsung 870 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD + 3 Additional SSDs (2.5TB)
    * Asus Rog PG278Q Gsync Monitor *
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/20 13:17:03 (permalink)
    Shadowdane
    I'm liking the board designs!!     The PC Gaming hardware space has gotten too flashy & busy with RGB everything.    ugh!

I've always liked minimalistic designs..    so these boards look to be exactly what I was looking for.

I haven't 100% decided yet on a motherboard..      I was semi-decided on the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero, but I'm holding off until I see some more details and prices on these EVGA boards.

then they need to charge a minimalist price then, for the same price you alot more with some other brands. honestly if i was going to build a 370 setup i would go with the asus board, the features and look just have evga beat. 

AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/20 20:50:29 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    Shadowdane

then they need to charge a minimalist price then, for the same price you alot more with some other brands. honestly if i was going to build a 370 setup i would go with the asus board, the features and look just have evga beat. 

Yeah, I agree with you on that these new z370 boards are not the best I have seen. All the other board makers offer a lot more features, wifi, B/T, RGB and enhanced sound software but the customer service EVGA provides is still a strong selling point. The other issue is other than the x299 micro, you can't get the FTW or Dark that were announced months ago and who knows when they will be available. You can buy z370 boards already from competitors but EVGA's are no where to be found. So if one is champing at the bit to upgrade, how long do you wait?

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/10/24 16:08:48 (permalink)
    AngryAce
    quadlatte
    Shadowdane

Yeah, I agree with you on that these new z370 boards are not the best I have seen. All the other board makers offer a lot more features, wifi, B/T, RGB and enhanced sound software but the customer service EVGA provides is still a strong selling point. The other issue is other than the x299 micro, you can't get the FTW or Dark that were announced months ago and who knows when they will be available. You can buy z370 boards already from competitors but EVGA's are no where to be found. So if one is champing at the bit to upgrade, how long do you wait?

To me the best customer support is the one you dont have to call, of all my asus, gigabyte and evga boards ive had i never had one with hardware problems. Sure i have asked questions about certain things but other than that no problems. Evga big drawback is the small niche market they serve, at one time you would wait because you wanted the best enthusiast board, but asus and gigabyte have really closed that gap now.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/11/11 05:34:02 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    AngryAce
    quadlatte
    Shadowdane

To me the best customer support is the one you dont have to call, of all my asus, gigabyte and evga boards ive had i never had one with hardware problems. Sure i have asked questions about certain things but other than that no problems. Evga big drawback is the small niche market they serve, at one time you would wait because you wanted the best enthusiast board, but asus and gigabyte have really closed that gap now.

@Angry Ace
    The top 4 mfg (ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI) all give you more features. The best thing people can do when purchasing new hardware is to buy sold and shipped by Amazon (Amazon customer service is #1), purchase with a credit card that has buyers protection coverage.  

@quadlatte
    +1
    Most hardware works like it should out of the box. 

prawdaeh
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/11/13 05:29:41 (permalink)
    Kind of thinking (Deleted for Foul Language) here myself.   EVGA I dread buying pc parts without the quality of your customer support, even if your warranty policies have changed since I bought my fist evga videocard a GTX 285 and you denied me a step up on my latest card because I didn't purchase it three days later. 

But.. the FTW was released later than the competition, at a price point higher than some of the competition while offering less features. My 8700k will be here today or tomorrow.  I've selected a case with RGB fans, cooler with RGB fans..  and pretty much all of my visible components are will be EVGA as I love the modular power supplies.. and my video card are EVGA.    But currently.. there's going to be one component looking a bit out of place because it says AsRock, or Asus, or MSI, or Gigabyte.  I

I'm having to build my rig over the next few weeks for budgeting reasons.  mobo will probably be my last decision... part of me wants to stick with EVGA just in case I end up with a dud and need to RMA within the warranty period.   The other parts of me disagree with paying more for less, as I've never really had many issues with motherboards in general in my lifetime.. built in wifi sounds like hey I could move my office and it still be okay that my fiber optics jack is on a wall in the room I'm currently in.  ANd sure, I could still do that by buying a usb wireless receiver or something else.. but if it's built into the mobo that's one less thing I could possibly lose.   RGB sounds like it would match my new case and fans.. and for all the people who don't like RGB?  Personally.. there's always the option of turning the lights off. 

I'm assuming the classified whenever it comes along will be more expensive than the FTW.  And while built in Creative audio sounds nice.. my usb headset doesn't care about it.   I'm a little disappointed.   My Power supply has an EVGA Logo, so does my video card.  And currently, my z68 is still running my 2500k @ 4.3ghz and running strong.   That Asus logo is going to look out of place through tempered glass.   I considered myself EVGA for life.. abandoned Asus from the moment I built my first intel system with EVGA parts.    But.. asus/msi/asrock are all  seeming like the better bang for the buck at the moment, at least for 300 series motherboards. 

post edited by XrayMan - 2017/11/15 19:53:48
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/11/15 03:46:27 (permalink)
    prawdaeh
    Kind of thinking (Deleted for Foul Language) here myself.   EVGA I dread buying pc parts without the quality of your customer support, even if your warranty policies have changed since I bought my fist evga videocard a GTX 285 and you denied me a step up on my latest card because I didn't purchase it three days later. 

But.. the FTW was released later than the competition, at a price point higher than some of the competition while offering less features. My 8700k will be here today or tomorrow.  I've selected a case with RGB fans, cooler with RGB fans..  and pretty much all of my visible components are will be EVGA as I love the modular power supplies.. and my video card are EVGA.    But currently.. there's going to be one component looking a bit out of place because it says AsRock, or Asus, or MSI, or Gigabyte.  I

I'm having to build my rig over the next few weeks for budgeting reasons.  mobo will probably be my last decision... part of me wants to stick with EVGA just in case I end up with a dud and need to RMA within the warranty period.   The other parts of me disagree with paying more for less, as I've never really had many issues with motherboards in general in my lifetime.. built in wifi sounds like hey I could move my office and it still be okay that my fiber optics jack is on a wall in the room I'm currently in.  ANd sure, I could still do that by buying a usb wireless receiver or something else.. but if it's built into the mobo that's one less thing I could possibly lose.   RGB sounds like it would match my new case and fans.. and for all the people who don't like RGB?  Personally.. there's always the option of turning the lights off. 

I'm assuming the classified whenever it comes along will be more expensive than the FTW.  And while built in Creative audio sounds nice.. my usb headset doesn't care about it.   I'm a little disappointed.   My Power supply has an EVGA Logo, so does my video card.  And currently, my z68 is still running my 2500k @ 4.3ghz and running strong.   That Asus logo is going to look out of place through tempered glass.   I considered myself EVGA for life.. abandoned Asus from the moment I built my first intel system with EVGA parts.    But.. asus/msi/asrock are all  seeming like the better bang for the buck at the moment, at least for 300 series motherboards. 

If anyone does mentions the ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE or MSI mobo you decide to go with "looks out of place", you can tell them why you decided to go with that mfg motherboard instead of evga one.  You wanted a mobo that has more features and better bang for the buck.

I recommend buying the new hardware from a retailer that's known for taking care of it's customers. I recommend Amazon, just make sure each part is Sold by Amazon and Shipped by Amazon. If you want more protection, buy using a credit card that has buyer protection plan.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: kinda plain jane 2017/11/26 09:36:40 (permalink)
    prawdaeh

get what best fits your budget ands looks most appealing to you, i love evga hardware, very solid and well built but as far as looks and features they sometimes fall asleep at the wheel. with asus and mostly gigabyte you can go from meh to OMG depending on budget, and i really cant say anything bad about either as i have own and still do own their boards over the years, and of all three i have never had one fail on me. ASRock is kinda a mixed bag, dealing with a weird GPU issue that i traced back to the ASRock MB, a h270, with either a weird setting or wonky bios so ill see how their support is with that. never used a MSI MB but i have had gpu's from them and they were solid. in the end it comes down to price vs features and looks, get what fits your build the best 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile