EVGA

Memory settings for a z270 Classified.

Author
Bentmind
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/10/15 15:05:48 (permalink)
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get the memory properly configured.  XMP Profile 1 causes the board to not boot.  So I started working on setting up the memory manually.

I can get a stable machine with the voltage set to 1.35v.  I have the timings entered according to the package and that works as well.  My issue is that any setting for the frequency other than auto seems to be causing the system to not boot.  The auto select is detecting the ram at 2133, and eleet is should 1066 which means their running at about half speed.

Any ideas, what am I missing?  I should be able to go to the drop down box in the Memory tab in the UEFI Bios and switch it from auto to 4133 and get the speed the memory is supposed to run.  It's not working out that way.

Thanks for your help.

EVGA 134-KS-E279-KR
Intel I7 7700K
G.Skill F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW 21-19-19-41 1.35v (x2) 

4 Replies Related Threads

Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Memory settings for a z270 Classified. 2017/10/15 15:45:00 (permalink)
    The fastest Ram we ever tested in that board is 3600 Mhz. 4133 is unlikely to work in anything other than an OC'd CPU in a Z370 board. The Motherboard will default to 2133 Mhz and the most that Intel certifies for that chipset is 2400 Mhz. You will be able to do much more than that, but try a setting near 3600 Mhz as the XMP is unlikely to work for that Ram kit.
    post edited by EVGATech_RayH - 2017/10/15 15:47:03

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

Bentmind
    Re: Memory settings for a z270 Classified. 2017/10/15 16:24:06 (permalink)
    I looked up the specs again.

I know to check the qualified parts lists and to buy what has been tested to work.  I see that there is a G.Skill kit 3600 speed on the list.  Fastest on the list.

Then I double checked where I bought the board.  Newegg has 4133 listed.  That is probably how I got the idea that I should just buy them.

I'm going to try the settings a couple of more times but I think I may have tanked one of the BIOS on the board, it wont boot even with a CMOS clear and stops on an 4F code.  Any way to recover it?

Most likely though, I'm going to look into calling Newegg tomorrow and see if I can return / exchange for memory on the compatibility list.  Can't believe I overlooked that.  Then again, that's what I get for ordering parts while I'm still recovering from the realization that my x58 Classified 3 melted down.  

Thanks for the help.

Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Memory settings for a z270 Classified. 2017/10/15 16:37:34 (permalink)
    Just below the 24 pin plug on that motherboard there is a BIOS switch, that will let you toggle to the other BIOS mode. Removing the battery should allow the CMOS to clear is the CMOS clear button is not allowing the board to clear, but that is not a common issue.

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

Bentmind
    Re: Memory settings for a z270 Classified. 2017/10/20 11:22:00 (permalink)
    I switched to the backup BIOS and it's working just fine.  I used the onboard rest and the unplug / remove battery reset on the primary BIOS before switching to the backup, had no effect.  Still stops on 4F.  To be clear, the backup BIOS is working as intended.  I'm not sure this issue needs to be resolved, once the system is up and stable I doubt I'll pop back into the BIOS for any reason for years and it looks like I just might have it stable now.

The G.Skill F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW 21-19-19-41 1.35v (x2) kits are on their way back to Newegg.  Had to fight with them about the restocking fee and shipping costs.  They mislead me into buying the wrong product and I refused to allow them to profit off their mistakes.  Their in a box and shipping right now.  Note that I will take some of the blame for not double checking the QVL against my order, but you'd think Newegg would list out the specs you guys have for your products.  Heck, I would think they would build recommendation lists based on your QVL.  But, I digress.

I pick up a G.Skill F4-3600C17Q-32GVK kit and installed it this afternoon.  XMP1 discovered all the settings.  (Says they are supposed to work with XMP2 and the BIOS lists it, but automatically bounces back to XMP1, the board only supports XMP1?)  Though, windows still doesn't list the memory correctly, the BIOS, Eleet-X software and couple of other programs that look up the system hardware do properly listed them at the proper frequency and clock settings.  Ran a couple burn in tests focusing on heavy memory testing and the system didn't crash once.

Seems like I've got a runner here, now.  Thanks for pointing out the rainbow colored unicorn in the middle of the room that I missed.  :-D

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile