Z270 Classified K HDD activity light always light ?? new build

Author
calichin
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/10/15 08:56:19 (permalink)
Hello,
I just build this new system replacing my old EVGA card that finally died after 12 years.  Strange thing is that the HD activity light is always on solid not blinking.  I verified that I did connect the hd led cable  correctly.  I even flipped it which result in no light at all.  so its connected to the correct location but is just always on solid.  I love to find out out why.  I have 6 hard drives connected to the board and 2 dvd burners so I am using every single sata port on the board.  I know I have types of controllers the Intel and the Marvell.  All the drives work fine no issue the computer runs great.  I think it maybe a bios setting but not sure just from reading other folks online with the same issue on different mother boards had corrected by disabling the second sata controller but I cant do that since I use them both.  I am thinking may be better hd cables that will lock in.  I have read that if the are not seated properly you can get this error as well.  Anyone had this issue ????? love to get some feedback.

5 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Z270 Classified K HDD activity light always light ?? new build 2017/10/15 14:50:28 (permalink)
    Hello,

Have you checked your resource manager in windows to see if your disks are being utilized? Perhaps the LED on your case for HDD Activity is defective?

calichin
    Re: Z270 Classified K HDD activity light always light ?? new build 2017/10/17 18:42:11 (permalink)
    i have checked that and no there is no issue with the led and the hard drive activity cant be a solid light every second of the day for the entire day.  I think is something else.  I did reverse the connection in the motherboard and it shut the light completely no activity.  this was working on my previous motherboard prior to this change in motherboard. thanks for the response.

Bentmind
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: Z270 Classified K HDD activity light always light ?? new build 2017/10/20 10:58:39 (permalink)
    Mine is doing the same thing.  Always on.  Windows Task Manager right at this minute says my machine is effectively doing nothing in the disc department, LED is on solid.
    I haven't tried reversing the plug because it isn't that important to me that the activity light blinks, but I did think it was odd that it stayed lit when there was no drive activity.

Z279 Classified in a Thermotake Armor+ case.    Using a M2 in the top bay, bottom is empty, for my OS drive.  Two SSDs and a four mechanical drive RAID 5 array on the Intel SATA bus.  Bluray burner.  EVGA 980 Classified.
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Z270 Classified K HDD activity light always light ?? new build 2017/10/24 16:13:23 (permalink)
    It works backwards, thought the same thing with my corsair case. Always lit, blinks off when active. Funny thing is the m.2 activity light works the right way. Quirks, gotta love em

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    langstons
    Re: Z270 Classified K HDD activity light always light ?? new build 2017/11/20 05:24:28 (permalink)
    I have had issues in the past where a defective DVD drive caused that issue for me. you may want to try removing the cable on one drive at a time and see if that solves your problem.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile