Hawken finally declared dead on PC

Author
fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2017/10/04 13:05:41 (permalink)
After 5 years of early access scamming with microtransactions and numerous owners the scam known as Hawken is finally ending(on PC at least). Personally I gave up in 2014 after little progress on the game and the original developer went under. I'm surprised it was still around in 2017 and it seems like most gamers including former players as well with less than 100 concurrent players a day for awhile.

I didn't spend a dime but plenty of people did and all they got were excuse after excuse, little to show for it, and a game shut down after never making it out of early access. This should be a warning to all about early access and why it's not beneficial for consumers.

Also RIP to another hugely promising game ruined by poor management decisions and greed. Never forget Project Offset.......

8 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/05 08:01:30 (permalink)
    Yeah, Early Access is abused too easily by Devs....  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/11 09:34:42 (permalink)
    This is the same title that brought about the other scam -- the "Mek-Fu" controller. That in and of itself was a debacle.
    gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/12 15:10:14 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    Yeah, Early Access is abused too easily by Devs....  

Agreed, but on the other hand there are decent games that are / were in early access that I've played.

I've avoided getting burned by it myself, but I've seen a lot of games that get hype trained, and then the devs do stupid stuff.

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/13 12:08:17 (permalink)
    Valve should do a stand up thing and limit early access to a 1 year on their platform. Instead they allow anyone to sell early access and years later players are still playing alpha state software....
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/13 22:28:48 (permalink)
    This bites I really enjoyed Hawken=/

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/15 15:25:14 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Valve should do a stand up thing and limit early access to a 1 year on their platform. Instead they allow anyone to sell early access and years later players are still playing alpha state software....

Maybe. It'd probably be better if games were a bit closer to complete before getting put on the market. I don't think rushed games would be any better, nor would removing games that are just taking a while but have dedicated developers, however.

It's really the ones that are there to leach off of the system. The ones who aren't dedicated, and sometimes not even honest. The ones who think mid-development cash grab dlc / micro-transactions are valid. That's what I take issue with, not really how long it takes some games to develop.

There are some games that have been in early access for a while, but have good devs (and the games themselves are actually good), and I personally don't take issue with them.

That being said, it's almost a label sometimes, and they could just say it's gold and keep working on it if they're dedicated. Or just say it's gold, and dump it if they don't care.

I think ones best bet is to be discerning with this stuff. Obviously don't support developers that do this kind of stuff. Waiting to see where development goes, and looking through reviews are also good strategies. If you really dislike early access, don't support it, obviously. It's the same as any other market.

If people aren't stupid and discern (sadly this doesn't always happen), the bad practices should die out. If Early Access itself is ineffective, it too should die out. If you're discerning the bad parts of the market can be mitigated or completely ignored if you're not wandering over to get ripped off by whoever just got their game greenlit.

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/15 22:43:22 (permalink)
    gipothegip
    fearpoint

Maybe. It'd probably be better if games were a bit closer to complete before getting put on the market. I don't think rushed games would be any better, nor would removing games that are just taking a while but have dedicated developers, however.

It's really the ones that are there to leach off of the system. The ones who aren't dedicated, and sometimes not even honest. The ones who think mid-development cash grab dlc / micro-transactions are valid. That's what I take issue with, not really how long it takes some games to develop.

There are some games that have been in early access for a while, but have good devs (and the games themselves are actually good), and I personally don't take issue with them.

That being said, it's almost a label sometimes, and they could just say it's gold and keep working on it if they're dedicated. Or just say it's gold, and dump it if they don't care.

I think ones best bet is to be discerning with this stuff. Obviously don't support developers that do this kind of stuff. Waiting to see where development goes, and looking through reviews are also good strategies. If you really dislike early access, don't support it, obviously. It's the same as any other market.

If people aren't stupid and discern (sadly this doesn't always happen), the bad practices should die out. If Early Access itself is ineffective, it too should die out. If you're discerning the bad parts of the market can be mitigated or completely ignored if you're not wandering over to get ripped off by whoever just got their game greenlit.

Valve use to have standards with what they put on Steam. They could go back to that to benefit their user base instead of just allowing garbage to be sold. Early access games listed games shouldn't be allowed to sell anything additional either. Developers hide behind the early access status. Steam is pretty garbage these days. Not only do they have early access scams everywhere, but the majority of the most played games are simply gambling platforms, and then you have games on Steam which are nothing but poorly combined pre-purchased asset drops.

Taken directly from the Early Access FAQ:

Is this the same as pre-purchasing a game?

No. Early Access is a full purchase of a playable game. By purchasing, you gain immediate access to download and play the game in its current form and as it evolves. You keep access to the game, even if the game later moves from Early Access into fully released.

Valve even implies most early access games they sell will never be anything more than unfulfilled promises and broken software.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Hawken finally declared dead on PC 2017/10/16 00:14:56 (permalink)
    Early access is a very bad thing as developers listen to fans more then they should. What I mean is fans play a game a are excited about it but then they mention changes they would like to see. The developer don't hear the fact gamers are excited instead they focus on what gamers want to see and push back release but it's always more and more changes. It's best to just get the game out and see if gamers are excited about it instead of having the risk of second guessing every detail of the game.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile