EVGA

GTX 950 SC+ No Sound On Reboot (have to reinstall driver every time)

Author
Kanti
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4739
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2017/10/04 06:23:01 (permalink)
I've just installed Server 2016 and for the most part things are okay, but when I reboot I lose sound playback and have to reinstall NVidia drivers to regain sound over HDMI each time I boot.  I've been searching around but I can't seem to figure out what is going on.  Is this an issue with the drivers or the OS?  Device Manager says the card is working fine.  I had to roll back the ATI drivers to get the AMD card to even show up.  So far that cards seems stable (no sound over DVI for the AMD card, but I can get the user connected to the AMD card to output sound over HDMI to the other monitor if the NVIDIA drivers are good),but it is connected over DVI (although that cable does carry sound from the 950 if connected). 

The odd thing is that the resolution no longer resets, but no sound.  I've rolled back to 385.28 and still haven't had luck with the 950. 

Hopefully some of that makes sense.  I've been up all night trying to figure it out and I'm sure my writing is suffering. 

I'm double checking the services.  I may have forgotten to install one of the multi media services that would probably fix this but this is all new to me.  My x58 board doesn't support pcie pass-through from what I've read, so I am using this OS for a multipoint build.

UPDATE:

I think I've figured it out...
post edited by Kanti - 2017/10/04 06:52:35

Muh 'filiate code: 387JKEF57G

5 Replies Related Threads

Kanti
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GTX 950 SC+ No Sound On Reboot (have to reinstall driver every time) 2017/10/04 07:45:15 (permalink)
    I rebooted, hit F8, dropped the driver signing option and thought that it would work.  Nope.  Apparently that's a one time solution, though I am not getting any warning when I install drivers, they just don't hold over after a reboot.  Used command line to put the OS into testing mode and downloaded realtek drivers supposedly for server 2016 and got nowhere.  I'm open to suggestion.  I really don't want to have to reinstall drivers every time I reboot.   

UPDATE:
    All Drivers are installed upon boot, however I have to go into device manager each time and enable all audio devices as they are set to off by default.  Currently trying to have the default set to enabled upon boot.

UODATE 2:
    It turns out that multipoint service disables audio because apparently several users beeping and booping at once from a central hub is a bad thing.  I'll have to write a little service for each user I recon to activate the given audio device I want them to trigger.  I tried the regedit trick and that didn't work, so with my luck a small script will probably cause a catastrophic failure.  In the meantime all my time saved with the OS will be lost enabling audio manually each boot. 
    https://superuser.com/questions/769234/windows-multipoint-server-2012-audio-devices-disabled-on-startup
    post edited by Kanti - 2017/10/04 08:51:36

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 950 SC+ No Sound On Reboot (have to reinstall driver every time) 2017/10/04 11:09:07 (permalink)
    Does the issue occur with & without the nvidia hd audio drivers installed?
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX 950 SC+ No Sound On Reboot (have to reinstall driver every time) 2017/10/04 11:20:26 (permalink)
    what you mite try is   do a clean uninstall of the driver   [sorry]  and then do a custom install  and ''DO NOT'' install the NVidia hd audio driver 

may have a conflict  with windows driver  . if using win-10 I guess cant help with malware issues   [LOL.. ]  your on your own  with that thing of a so called OS / cloud based  service  [sorry]

I only install the cards driver and maybe PhysX   only and nothing else   and audio  works fine over hdmi for me 

good luck 
    Kanti
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GTX 950 SC+ No Sound On Reboot (have to reinstall driver every time) 2017/10/04 12:13:26 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Does the issue occur with & without the nvidia hd audio drivers installed?

Everything "works".  After fiddling around with it I've come to discover that the 2016 OS disables audio by default and each connected user has to manually enable it upon booting.  Once users log off log on it should stay on, but it has to be manually enabled after a power down or reboot.  In a perfect world each user has a terminal with what I am assuming has its own audio device.  When connected over usb hub/ poorman's terminal everyone shares the same audio output for whatever reason.  I have two cards in and was hoping to have different audio from each HDMI/card, but I guess That's not happening. 

2016, is nice, but running a server OS as a client feels convoluted.   I am tempted to use Windows 10, but I just can't succumb to it.  It feels nice being able to boot up multiple users from one box and each be able to run the same programs from the same directory or do two different things.  I REALLY want to be able to multiport co-op game, but I haven't made it that far yet.  The main goal is to have one person able to work while the other person can watch a movie or play a game and not need to disturb the HIDs of the other client.  Eventually I'd like to expand to a third user, but right now I need to figure out if I can even use this setup the way I want to without pilling my hair out everytime windows reminds me that this OS is for business and that having a home server is silly...

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX 950 SC+ No Sound On Reboot (have to reinstall driver every time) 2017/10/04 13:27:12 (permalink)
    seemed like with NVidia  that  consumer cards like gtx series  and server OS  is not truly supported  ? sounds silly but  its like they prefer you use a server/ workstation cards with server Os's   and the drivers between each has beed ''adjusted''  for that

if I get time i'll try to look that deal up and post a link to it ..

maybe something like said from here if it helps ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/dc199538-ea36-4e9d-ad90-e18c2efb097a/windows-server-2016-tp5-gui-nvidia-drivers-are-not-supported?forum=WinServerPreview

hmmmmm..... seems to what that guy says  that malware called win-10 maybe the thing ???

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/821948/are-there-no-windows-server-2008-or-2012-nvidia-drivers-for-gtx-900-series-cards-can-win-7-8-driver/

maybe them will point you in a direction

good luck 
    post edited by Dr.Death - 2017/10/04 13:29:18
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile