Delidded i7 7700k and temps... well expected better

Author
VasekBk
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/09/30 06:49:47 (permalink)
Hey guys !:)
So, after long deciding, yesterday Ive delidded my I7 7700k (running at 1.3 at 4.8ghz).
Well it was one hell of a nerves, because I was using razor method... and u know... well after delid, Ive applied liquid metal from thermal grizzly, and put all together to check my temps, and here comes my question... As I fail to find some threads where people post results with similar cooling... 
Running prime 95 fft gives me 70-77 on package temps... isnt it a little bit too high? Well in general not, but I have expected better results... 
Btw for cooling, Im using NZXT Kraken x62... (bit lazy and worried about building custom loop).
So whats ur advice and results? 
Thanks a lot :)

3 Replies Related Threads

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Delidded i7 7700k and temps... well expected better 2017/09/30 11:24:56 (permalink)
    what are your core temps? have you tried lowering the volts just a bit? maybe 1.25. did you clean all the old black glue off and reapply some sealant and clamp it down for a few hours? i would think depending on ambient temps, you should be a little lower. here are mine after deliding. i was hitting 80~85 before

Attached Image(s)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    VasekBk
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Delidded i7 7700k and temps... well expected better 2017/09/30 12:19:03 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    what are your core temps? have you tried lowering the volts just a bit? maybe 1.25. did you clean all the old black glue off and reapply some sealant and clamp it down for a few hours? i would think depending on ambient temps, you should be a little lower. here are mine after deliding. i was hitting 80~85 before

Hey, thanks for quick reply... I didnt glued the ihs back on, just attached it and fixed it on with motherboard pins... my ambient temps are little higher now - 25-26... Do u think that big difference is related to gluing/ambi?
    Edit: Socket pins (the thing that holds the cpu)
    post edited by VasekBk - 2017/09/30 13:12:46
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Delidded i7 7700k and temps... well expected better 2017/09/30 13:38:49 (permalink)
    VasekBk
    quadlatte

Hey, thanks for quick reply... I didnt glued the ihs back on, just attached it and fixed it on with motherboard pins... my ambient temps are little higher now - 25-26... Do u think that big difference is related to gluing/ambi?
    Edit: Socket pins (the thing that holds the cpu)

i have heard two different stories on it, some say yes others say no. the biggest thing is to remove the old glue, intel went a bit to thick and it could hold the ihs just a hair high off the dies which would cause issues with heat transfer. i glued mine on with some permatex ultra black, that way i know its even on the die and will stay inplace. you might also want to check the flatness of the ihs top, mine was concave some causing a hot spot in the center, after i lapped it flat and polished it to a mirror finish i need very little TIM between my cpu and water block.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile