EVGA

Helpful ReplyIt's been a long, loveable ride...but...

Author
mankxp
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/09/24 19:55:22 (permalink)
...Time to upgrade!

My current system has served me well since building it in 2008. Having upgraded the Vid Card once, upgrading the CPU once, adding more ram and updating the OS, I consider almost 10 years to be quite a milestone for a system - especially for a system that runs 24/7/365. It's quite the testament to EVGA quality. My last upgrade of CPU and RAM got me another ~2 years of useful service.

I'm at a point where 4K video and certain newer games just aren't gonna happen with my current rig, and I'd like to design some longevity into this new build(if that's even possible).

I plan on keeping my Antec 900 case and Antec 850watt PS. As well as my EVGA GTX 760 vid card.

The Motherboard I plan on getting is the EVGA Z270 FTW K, 132-KS-E277-KR, but with the Antec case and lower mounted PS, it looks like I may have issues with the edge mounted connectors on the bottom of the board. Anyone have any feedback on using this Mobo in such an install?

Couple of quick questions: RAM, what is considered the best performing RAM for this Mobo?
What about CPU? I'm eyeing the I7 7700 as it seems to be the best rated for Gaming and A/V apps.
Are there any benefits from using SSD's where 4K streaming is concerned?

Any input or feedback is appreciated. Keeping in mind I have a budget for this build of about $1k. 

Current System:ASRock Z370 Pro4/Intel I7-8700K Processor @ 5.0ghz De-Lidded with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra/AData DDR-4 2400mhz 2x8 16-gig RAM/SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe/Cougar Panzer-S Mid-Tower Case/EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM/Cooler Master 240 RGB CL CPU Cooler/EVGA GeForce GTX-1080 8-Gig

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/09/24 23:59:46 (permalink)
The PSU would have me a little bit worried because of the connector on the motherboard and of course the front header on a the Antec 900 is probably USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 if it is from 2008. I think you would have a little bit of room for the bottom but it really wouldn't be that much and would really be pretty rough to get it to fit and would take making the connection and then sliding the PSU into place if it fit at all.

I personally would figure that the case might not work with the upgrade though and budget for that. As for memory performance really doesn't matter that much really or at least to a point since I feel memory is an area you can save some money on if you are putting it into a SSD or Intel Optane memory. As for the SSD question I would wonder what size the current HDD you have is and the age of it. Intel Optane memory isn't bad to pair with a HDD to give a nice speed increase to it without really being super expensive. On the other hand if you go SSD then you won't need Optane as it will not help much if at all.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/09/27 17:59:47 (permalink)
Coffee Lake stuff is launching Oct 5th, you should definitely wait for that since you can get a 6-core chip for that price. Two extra cores will definitely future-proof things for awhile. They won't work on Z270 motherboards, so if you do decide to go for Coffee Lake EVGA may not have a Z370 ready for launch. 

Have water, will cool. 
mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/09/29 01:57:01 (permalink)
kougar
Coffee Lake stuff is launching Oct 5th, you should definitely wait for that since you can get a 6-core chip for that price. Two extra cores will definitely future-proof things for awhile. They won't work on Z270 motherboards, so if you do decide to go for Coffee Lake EVGA may not have a Z370 ready for launch. 

A couple of more months with this rig isn't gonna kill me, I guess. heh

Thanks for the heads up on the Coffee Lake release, Kougar!

Current System:ASRock Z370 Pro4/Intel I7-8700K Processor @ 5.0ghz De-Lidded with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra/AData DDR-4 2400mhz 2x8 16-gig RAM/SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe/Cougar Panzer-S Mid-Tower Case/EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM/Cooler Master 240 RGB CL CPU Cooler/EVGA GeForce GTX-1080 8-Gig

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/09/29 20:52:45 (permalink)
case may work, if you have 7 pci slots you will have one slot space between the PSU and bottom of the board. as mentioned if you have the older v1 of that case it will not have usb 3 and the newer boards come with one usb header, you can get adapters though to use the usb plug on usb 3 headers.
the PSU should be upgraded, 8-10 yrs is about the max you will get as the caps will start going downhill and can cause problems. 850 is a good wattage but you will want two 8 pin cpu plugs, the evga G3 850 is a great PSU and not that much really.
if you can go with m.2 NVME as a boot drive, they are crazy fast, SSD for apps and stuff and Large HDD for storage. 
as for coffee lake, extra cores are nice and the 8700k is looking to be a good cpu, down side is not sure what the upgrade path will be once the 10nm cpu's come out, z270/7700k is the end of the line it seems for Kaby lake platform. given the typical price you should be able to do a z370, 8700k, g3 850 PSU and a decent M.2 (512GB samsung if you can catch it on sale, they are the best bang for the buck) for right around $1k if you catch them at the right time.
post edited by quadlatte - 2017/09/29 20:55:42

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/10 06:46:50 (permalink)
Okay..

Since they have announced the 370 boards, and after having a look, the Z370 FTW Motherboard seems like a good fit for my Antec case and needs.

I7 8700k pricing seems to be around the $380'ish mark for the unlocked version
The Z370 FTW Mobo hasn't been priced yet(that I could find), but I would suspect a $349'ish price tag..??
DDR4-4133MHz memory seems to be around $200-250'ish for 16-gigs...we're still 288 pins, yes? XMP support?

Anyone know if the X370 chip will allow for more choices in the M.2 drive department?

With the M.2 drive addition and an SSD, it looks like I will be over my $1K budget for this build. Not really an issue, it'll just take me longer to get everything.

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/10 12:06:25 (permalink)
mankxp
Okay..

Since they have announced the 370 boards, and after having a look, the Z370 FTW Motherboard seems like a good fit for my Antec case and needs.

I7 8700k pricing seems to be around the $380'ish mark for the unlocked version
The Z370 FTW Mobo hasn't been priced yet(that I could find), but I would suspect a $349'ish price tag..??
DDR4-4133MHz memory seems to be around $200-250'ish for 16-gigs...we're still 288 pins, yes? XMP support?

Anyone know if the X370 chip will allow for more choices in the M.2 drive department?

With the M.2 drive addition and an SSD, it looks like I will be over my $1K budget for this build. Not really an issue, it'll just take me longer to get everything.

ftw board should fall in around $249 US, the classified usually are $299

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/10 12:19:33 (permalink)
I wouldn't keep the Antec 900. You can find far better PC cases out there that are better at keeping good airflow. The Antec 900 was good for its time. However if you are convinced you want to keep it then make some modifications to allow more airflow and cable management.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/11 23:28:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Hoggle 2017/10/12 00:07:19
You might want to do more research cause that cpu only has 16 pci-e lanes, which means your going to be very limited on what features are available and accessible. Also, antec makes a replacement header for your case but you may have to call them to see if you can get it or try ebay. Just for reference:  http://store.antec.com/parts/nine-hundred-usb-30-module.html  Its def a good case with plenty of airflow, I own one of the v1's also, but its in desperate need of fan filters, lol. If you cant find the exact header for it and don't want to buy a new case then I would just get a usb 3.0 bay maybe like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9385MP7807  and either mod it into where the current one is or install it to the cubby hole in the top of the case. Good luck to you either way though.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/12 00:11:52 (permalink)
wmmills
You might want to do more research cause that cpu only has 16 pci-e lanes, which means your going to be very limited on what features are available and accessible. Also, antec makes a replacement header for your case but you may have to call them to see if you can get it or try ebay. Just for reference:  http://store.antec.com/parts/nine-hundred-usb-30-module.html  Its def a good case with plenty of airflow, I own one of the v1's also, but its in desperate need of fan filters, lol. If you cant find the exact header for it and don't want to buy a new case then I would just get a usb 3.0 bay maybe like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9385MP7807  and either mod it into where the current one is or install it to the cubby hole in the top of the case. Good luck to you either way though.

Thanks for listing the 900 part he would need for the case. That was a big part of why I was thinking he might want to upgrade the case to support USB 3.0. I think we all agree a case might be something he should consider it's a lot to factor into a build compared to a header. The only problem is it's out of stock and might be something that is no longer available anywhere.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/14 03:14:12 (permalink)
Hoggle
wmmills

Thanks for listing the 900 part he would need for the case. That was a big part of why I was thinking he might want to upgrade the case to support USB 3.0. I think we all agree a case might be something he should consider it's a lot to factor into a build compared to a header. The only problem is it's out of stock and might be something that is no longer available anywhere.

Np. Antec are really awesome at helping you out with parts. I lost some of the window screw holder/caps when I modded/painted my Antec 900 and I wrote to them cause I couldn't find the parts on the store, im willing to pay whatever for them etc.... and they sent me out a free packet of replacement ones to do the whole window again for free, no problem. So im sure if the OP writes to them and tells them whats going on they probably will fix him up. Maybe not for free though. 

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/14 16:30:58 (permalink)
wmmills
Hoggle
wmmills

Np. Antec are really awesome at helping you out with parts. I lost some of the window screw holder/caps when I modded/painted my Antec 900 and I wrote to them cause I couldn't find the parts on the store, im willing to pay whatever for them etc.... and they sent me out a free packet of replacement ones to do the whole window again for free, no problem. So im sure if the OP writes to them and tells them whats going on they probably will fix him up. Maybe not for free though. 

they probably sold out due to modders using it for custom setups, i bought one to graft into a nzxt case for my daughter lol, seen a few youtubers that used it also.

mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/16 21:37:53 (permalink)
The USB 3.0 front panel connectors are not an issue for me as the mobo mounted ones are more than adequate. But thanks for the part numbers and such!

I get excellent airflow with the Antec case, so I'm a little surprised at the suggestions I should replace it. All the fans have been replaced(recently) with the exception of the large one in the top of the case. After all, I'm going on 10 years now and have never had a single heat related issue, even with mild OC'ing. The Zalman CPU cooler has been running almost non-stop for this entire timeframe without failure, so I'll definitely be changing that out during the build.

edited to add: Was there a forum reset at one time or another? I was very active on the forums back when I joined in 2008, but I'm showing as a new member with less than 20 posts now
post edited by mankxp - 2017/10/16 21:42:17

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/10/17 12:14:13 (permalink)
mankxp
The USB 3.0 front panel connectors are not an issue for me as the mobo mounted ones are more than adequate. But thanks for the part numbers and such!

I get excellent airflow with the Antec case, so I'm a little surprised at the suggestions I should replace it. All the fans have been replaced(recently) with the exception of the large one in the top of the case. After all, I'm going on 10 years now and have never had a single heat related issue, even with mild OC'ing. The Zalman CPU cooler has been running almost non-stop for this entire timeframe without failure, so I'll definitely be changing that out during the build.

edited to add: Was there a forum reset at one time or another? I was very active on the forums back when I joined in 2008, but I'm showing as a new member with less than 20 posts now

Yes, the forum has gone through 2 total revamps since them I believe. Everyone lost there stuff and we lost a lot of really good guides etc... also.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/09 18:56:27 (permalink)
Okay, just to keep this all in one place: It looks like I will be exceeding my budget quite a bit...sometimes I hate my gaming hobby. :/

I've settled on the Black Cougar Panzer Mid-Tower Case.

Here's the list as it stands now:
Not yet sure about the 370 variant Mobo I'll be choosing
EVGA GTX-1080ti
I7-8700K Processor
Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD
Keeping my Antec 850W PS - yes, I know it's old.
RAM type is still TBD- but planning on 16 GIG's.
WD Blue 1TB HDD for storage.
EVGA Closed Loop cooling - not sure what size just yet. Bigger is not always better, right?

The Cougar case should be here one day next week. Will be doing this piece-meal due to finances.

Opinions/Feedback?

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/09 21:09:20 (permalink)
I know your gonna hate me for saying this but..... are you sure you want to get a mid tower case? Being you seem like a builder, part changer, modder etc... if you want to change out parts later or move to AIO versions of cooling, gpu, a full tower will serve you much better. Plus the added room for air flow and to add flow fans helps tremendously in cooling your parts. My only other gripe would be the WD blue drive because they aren't the best for longevity, WD only gives them a 2year warranty which kinda shows you there reliability, and if you plan on storing anything but movies, audio, or text documents you really should get something else. A 120 AIO CLC for that cpu should be more than enough, but if you plan on going bigger you might want to look at a bigger case. As for the rest its fine in general.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/10 03:37:28 (permalink)
I'll definitely take your HDD suggestion into consideration. I'm just going on the performance and longevity of my current drives as the reason to stay with Western Digital drives, and haven't done much research on them other than pricing. What would you recommend for a mechanical drive?

As far as case, the Cougar does come in a Full Tower variant, but This will be a simple gaming build with little to no overclocking being attempted. I'll be 54 years old soon, so modding or other enthusiast activities are probably out of the question other than shooting for a clean cable setup.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/10 04:37:16 (permalink)
mankxp
I'll definitely take your HDD suggestion into consideration. I'm just going on the performance and longevity of my current drives as the reason to stay with Western Digital drives, and haven't done much research on them other than pricing. What would you recommend for a mechanical drive?

As far as case, the Cougar does come in a Full Tower variant, but This will be a simple gaming build with little to no overclocking being attempted. I'll be 54 years old soon, so modding or other enthusiast activities are probably out of the question other than shooting for a clean cable setup.

I'm older than you and don't have time anymore for custom modding but a larger case makes it easier to route the cables.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/10 05:38:50 (permalink)
rjohnson11
I'm older than you and don't have time anymore for custom modding but a larger case makes it easier to route the cables.

Cabling is about the only thing I care to alter on my own from a modding standpoint, so the size of the case won't be an issue in that regard. I'm lucky enough to have access to the tools and wiring needed to do it to my liking. :)

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/11 15:56:42 (permalink)
mankxp

It the HDD is going to be for games and Steam, Origin, Uplay etc... then WD black would be a better fit, longevity and performance wise. It really depends what your goin to use it for.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/14 03:54:59 (permalink)
wmmills

It the HDD is going to be for games and Steam, Origin, Uplay etc... then WD black would be a better fit, longevity and performance wise. It really depends what your goin to use it for.

The HDD will be used mainly for video/file storage.

Also, I just learned that 370 based boards for the 8700 processors are not compatible with Windows 7 installs. Looks like I'll be out the money for Windows 10 as well. 

I finally settled on the ASRock Z370 Pro4 Mobo, 8700k processor and the EVGA GTX-1080 8gig video card. All 3 are ordered and on the way! 
post edited by mankxp - 2017/12/14 03:57:12

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/14 06:08:59 (permalink)
mankxp
wmmills

The HDD will be used mainly for video/file storage.

Also, I just learned that 370 based boards for the 8700 processors are not compatible with Windows 7 installs. Looks like I'll be out the money for Windows 10 as well. 

I finally settled on the ASRock Z370 Pro4 Mobo, 8700k processor and the EVGA GTX-1080 8gig video card. All 3 are ordered and on the way! 

You can use win 7 on your new build, it's just windows updates that won't work. Just clone your current o/s setup and put it on your new disc if your getting a new one. Asus has drivers for the maximum x hero they just put up also. So where there the will there's a way!
 https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248069-unofficial-patch-unblocks-windows-7-8-1-updates-kaby-lake-ryzen
post edited by wmmills - 2017/12/14 08:53:55

Help Our Vets From K-2!
mankxp
Re: It's been a long, loveable ride...but... 2017/12/23 02:09:29 (permalink)
Well, most all the parts are in and my system is built.(Still waiting on closed loop cooler) and  Running Windows 10 Home edition and so far, so good.

The EVGA GTX-1080 card is really showing its mettle, even with some cheaper AData RAM being used right now. I Downloaded the 3dMark Demo in Steam and ran TimeSpy a few times, and after some Windows tweaking at stock(3.7) CPU and GPU speeds, I managed a 7720 score. Not bad.

Edited to add: Enabled Turbo Boost in bios to 4.8ghz, installed EVGA Precision and upped the power target to 110% and added 110mhz clock offset and Time Spy netted me a 8069 score. It seems my AData RAM at 2400  is my bottleneck. GSkill makes a TridentZ 3200 that is approved for my Mobo, but at $228 for 16gig I'm not sure if my current RAM is hurting me enough to warrant spending that much on it.

Anyone know of a good benchmark for RAM that would show if my current RAM is actually hurting my performance?
post edited by mankxp - 2017/12/24 20:08:17

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile