EVGA

Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use?

Author
seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2017/09/04 16:41:52 (permalink)
Normally I buy red tubes an thats its, add some distilled water and anti-everthing to it and call it a day.

Now that I have a clear CPU block and Res I need to dye the water.

I want to be able to add something to a gallon of water and make it solid red, bright solid red that will react to UV lights.
Im buying my normal Primochill tubes and I figured I would used their dye but I am getting mixed reviews on it.

What dye should I be looking at?

OR is the internet full of poop and the Primochill is just fine?

https://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-True-Infused-Insanely-Concentrated/dp/B01N2PHBMV/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504568282&sr=1-11&keywords=primochill+true+infused
Power red (opaque) ^

FYI I haven't dyed a system in over ten years, a lot has changed.
One time I added dye it gunked up the cooling fins in the CPU block, was that my fault or are some brands junk?

Quick replies would be nice, I have most of my system's parts arriving Thursday and have been without a PC for what feels like months.
I even went outside and did stuff at the ocean.
post edited by seth89 - 2017/09/04 21:13:31

10 Replies Related Threads

flasher4q
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1778
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/09/05 09:55:12 (permalink)
    I was in same situation as you were but I went with blood red it looks great with clear tubing  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9AB53P6499

Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming
    Ryzen7 5800x
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 Gig 3600
    Samsung 1T 980 PRO PCIe 4.0
    Samsung 500Gig 970 Evo PCIe 3.0
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Thermaltake Pump/Res combo
    Primochill 2 120x2 Radiators
    Bitspower G1/4" Premium master fittings
    Corsair RM 850x
    CoolerMaster H500P Case
    EK-Quantum Velocity D CPU cooler
    Bose Companion2 Speakers

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/09/05 11:23:38 (permalink)
    flasher4q
    I was in same situation as you were but I went with blood red it looks great with clear tubing  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9AB53P6499

Nice.
    I went ahead and jumped on white.
    I think it will look cool and if not I can order the drops to make it red.

spitfire5792
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 836
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/10/03 14:46:15 (permalink)
    Is this true? Dyes aren't as dangerous as they once were? I have a clear block but was still going to run distilled. Dyes used to clock blocks, cause buildups and other nasty things. Have they improved? Is it still ideal to run distilled? Sorry fi this is considered a thread hijack.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/10/06 13:36:03 (permalink)
    spitfire5792
    Is this true? Dyes aren't as dangerous as they once were? I have a clear block but was still going to run distilled. Dyes used to clock blocks, cause buildups and other nasty things. Have they improved? Is it still ideal to run distilled? Sorry fi this is considered a thread hijack.

depends on the dye, ive heard that some like the opaque stuff still falls out and can make a mess, i use ek blood red concentrate and it holds up well.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/10/09 16:51:17 (permalink)
    I've never seen advertised loop dyes that last years, especially UV reactive ones. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I've never seen one yet. 

The longest lasting dye I've ever found was actually made for ponds. It was designed for sustained UV sunlight exposure while remaining safe for fish, so I gave it a try and can say it will last past four years without any signs of it breaking down in 24/7 loops. You can get it in any color as long as it is blue.  8oz is enough to color 4,000 gallons though, so any shade of blue works.  Stuff worked so well I tried some pool dyes, but those didn't even last months. You'll get tired of the loop color long before that pond blue stuff goes bad.

Have water, will cool. 
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/10/15 08:34:10 (permalink)
    I had tried some EK dye, and while there were no clogs, I did find that it stained everything and really did not look good after a while.  Kougar, can you give a link to the stuff you tried?
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/10/19 02:27:39 (permalink)
    TECH_DaveBKougar, can you give a link to the stuff you tried?

Label has changed but I'm reasonably sure it was TotalPond Pond Blue It's designed to be blue without blocking sight of pond fish, but the stuff is so concentrated it's unbelievable. It does not stain tubing or fabrics, but it's so concentrated that it will take considerable time to wash it out of carpet if you spill a drop from the bottle, trust me on that.  Smartpond sells their own "blue tint" version as well, but I've not used it.

The second thing I use (and still use) is Algaecide. The key is it must use Didecyl dimethylammonium chloride as its ingredient which most (but not all) Algaecides do. This stuff will prevent algae, bacteria, fungus, and practically anything microbial from growing in a loop, and since it is also designed for fish ponds the stuff will not interact with pond blue coloring. I don't even remember what brand I originally used, but this is the current Algaecide I've added to my loop. It is just as highly concentrated so it doesn't take much to keep a loop clean for two years without adding more. It is much much better for watercooling loops than dissolving silver into the water in my opinion.

Both are these are highly concentrated so over the long run it's really cheap to use both over expensive watercooling brands, and both can be found at the local mega-brand hardware stores. Unfortunately I've only ever seen Pond dye in blue, so that's the tradeoff.  Neither have negatively affected my MCP655 pump which has been running in my various desktops for ten years now. Bought that pump alongside a Q6600. 

Have water, will cool. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/11/11 21:34:24 (permalink)
    Staining and clogging are still around.  In another forum, we had a member who decided to test it out even though we warned him and lo and behold, there was build up after about 2 years.  The hardest thing cleaning is going to be the radiator if the staining isn't so bad on the rest of the gear.

I personally feel that dyes or colored fluids should be used for show rigs only.  For 24/7 use, clear fluids with color tubing and RGBs for color.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/11/11 21:49:13 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

I personally feel that dyes or colored fluids should be used for show rigs only.  For 24/7 use, clear fluids with color tubing and RGBs for color.

+1

Dyes do not help cool the system ---> would not add them to a daily driver

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Adding Dye to a water loop....What do I use? 2017/11/19 17:33:10 (permalink)
    Well I had a part fail on my loop and a 90* barb put out some rust...
    after taking the loop apart and replacing the damage parts I found that the dye I used came out very easily, the stuff that was sticking to the inside of the tubes and rest came right out with a bit of flushing and pre-treatment.

Im going to use the same dye b/c I did get two orders but if the pure white darkens or browns again I am going to get the new self cleaning Primochill VUE coolant.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile