EVGA

No warranty because of second hand product

Author
evga_please_helpme
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/31 15:20:20 (permalink)
Hi, could someone answer me why I can't use warranty for a card I bought from ebay to a USA seller?.
My ticket is 2785818.

It's just because i'm from LATAM?, I saw in another post this response for second hand owners:

The second hand buyer gets the 3 years from the date it shipped from EVGA. Slightly less time than you get as the original owner. They just complete a guest RMA if they run into any problems.

Why is it so hard?.

Thanks

25 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 15:43:31 (permalink)
    Hello and welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, the warranty for LATAM only applies to the original owner with a valid invoice. For more information about our LATAM warranty terms and conditions please visit the link here: https://latam.evga.com/support/warranty/. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 15:47:19 (permalink)
    So it's because I'm from LATAM, why does it change everything? Now I have a 400 houndred dollars paperweight, thanks.
    Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 15:58:43 (permalink)
    The LATAM region does have different warranty policies than the North American region, the same applies to our APAC, TW and European regions. 

So since this graphics card was purchased from an unauthorized retailer the graphics card does not qualify for any warranty services. If you have any further questions or concerns about our warranty policies please feel free to contact our Latin American team at soporte@evga.com
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 16:01:51 (permalink)
    If the policies are the same, why this post's answer doesn't apply to my case?  
     forums.evga.com/Warranty-question-m2688755.aspx

I'm really confused.
    Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 16:03:26 (permalink)
    Sorry I meant to say that all of our regions carry different warranty policies, the wording may have been confusing. I apologize for that.
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 16:05:17 (permalink)
    So If I send this GPU to someone from USA and he submits an RMA request, It would be accepted?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102251
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 23:18:15 (permalink)
    evga_please_helpme
    So If I send this GPU to someone from USA and he submits an RMA request, It would be accepted?

I doubt it since the original purchase was from LATAM. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/08/31 23:51:10 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums.

If your card, whatever it is, is not covered under warranty and you're in a bind, maybe you can fix it yourself.

Artifacting, BSOD, freezing, driver crashes, etc. can be caused by solder cracking somewhere on the PCB..Disassembling it (which should be easy) and baking only the PCB like this, but with the GPU side up, should reflow any solder cracks that might exist..200C for 10-15 minutes..With any luck, that may fix it..Baking (the 'oven trick') has worked for me more than a few times.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 02:22:24 (permalink)
    If the warranty follows the product and not the customer, if that product is from the US. That person should have the US guest warranty right? 

https://www.evga.com/articles/00671/
    EVGA Global Warranty

evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 04:32:33 (permalink)
    It was bought on Ebay from USA seller, and it's second hand product.
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 04:44:10 (permalink)
    MSim
    If the warranty follows the product and not the customer, if that product is from the US. That person should have the US guest warranty right? 

EVGA Global Warranty

I know right!!. It clearly says "The warranty will no longer belong to the purchaser but instead to the product as we believe in the workmanship and quality of our products and we are here to stand behind them. "

But apparently if i'm from LATAM it can't be transfered. So it doesn't matter if the GPU is from USA, what matters is the country I'm.
    That should mean that anyone that buys a second hand GPU in LATAM could go to USA and ask for USA warranty policies.

I'm really frustrated with this, you shouldn't advertise new "global warranty conditions" but "not valid if your are at certain regions". I don't know why you care so much where the box is being shipped from since I'm the one paying for the shipment.
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 04:57:35 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Welcome to the forums.

If your card, whatever it is, is not covered under warranty and you're in a bind, maybe you can fix it yourself.

Artifacting, BSOD, freezing, driver crashes, etc. can be caused by solder cracking somewhere on the PCB..Disassembling it (which should be easy) and baking only the PCB , but with the GPU side up, should reflow any solder cracks that might exist..200C for 10-15 minutes..With any luck, that may fix it..Baking (the 'oven trick') has worked for me more than a few times.

Hi Bob, thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure my faulty GPU can't be fixed that way. When I put it on the PCI express slot, my PC doesn't turn on, so I guess there's a bad component and the baking method wouldn't do anything to it.
    So my best bet would be selling it to someone from USA or another country that could use warranty and get a replacement.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 08:10:25 (permalink)
    evga_please_helpme
    Hi Bob, thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure my faulty GPU can't be fixed that way. When I put it on the PCI express slot, my PC doesn't turn on, so I guess there's a bad component and the baking method wouldn't do anything to it. So my best bet would be selling it to someone from USA or another country that could use warranty and get a replacement.

Yep..Sounds like it's probably beyond hope.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 08:55:37 (permalink)
    MSim

EVGA Global Warranty

I'm not sure that statement is relavant

The document in your link was copyrighted 2012 --> Current warranty terms were --> Last update August 11, 2014 (US GPU warranty at least)

As my Spanish is not up to the task, I have no idea what is stated in ---> https://latam.evga.com/support/warranty/

OP ---> if this is a recent Ebay purchase you may have a way to get a refund

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 08:59:05 (permalink)
    evga_please_helpme
    bob16314
    Welcome to the forums.

Artifacting, BSOD, freezing, driver crashes, etc. can be caused by solder cracking somewhere on the PCB..Disassembling it (which should be easy) and baking only the PCB , but with the GPU side up, should reflow any solder cracks that might exist..200C for 10-15 minutes..With any luck, that may fix it..Baking (the 'oven trick') has worked for me more than a few times.

Hi Bob, thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure my faulty GPU can't be fixed that way. When I put it on the PCI express slot, my PC doesn't turn on, so I guess there's a bad component and the baking method wouldn't do anything to it.
    So my best bet would be selling it to someone from USA or another country that could use warranty and get a replacement.

That's not gonna work because it was bought on ebay, to a latin American and the cards serials and numbers are registered as that, which will follow it wherever it goes, which means your stuck under the Latin American warranty terms. See?!?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 09:05:33 (permalink)
    wmmills
    evga_please_helpme
    bob16314
    Welcome to the forums.

That's not gonna work because it was bought on ebay, to a latin American and the cards serials and numbers are registered as that, which will follow it wherever it goes, which means your stuck under the Latin American warranty terms. See?!?

I already said i bought it from USA seller, actually I got an official answer from support telling me that if I have family or friends in USA, their RMA would be accepted (so the only problem is that currently I'm on LATAM). The case is, I don't, so my best bet would be selling it.

I'm really disapointed with the service. The only problem with my request is my country, even if I'm the one paying for the shipment, doesn't make any sense.
    post edited by evga_please_helpme - 2017/09/01 09:06:49
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 14:50:23 (permalink)
    evga_please_helpme
    The only problem with my request is my country, even if I'm the one paying for the shipment, doesn't make any sense.

That is ignoring that EVGA has to pay return shipping (with surely a much higher insurance cost for international shipping), deal with customs, and potential import/export tax issues. It may not even be legal for them to ship it back to you depending on your country's laws, many countries have strict laws about importation of used electronic goods to prevent dumping and I'm assuming you didn't go through formal importation and paying duties on a used GPU from ebay, you are potentially making EVGA complicit in a crime (tax evasion, illegal importation).
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 14:56:02 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    evga_please_helpme
    The only problem with my request is my country, even if I'm the one paying for the shipment, doesn't make any sense.

That is ignoring that EVGA has to pay return shipping (with surely a much higher insurance cost for international shipping), deal with customs, and potential import/export tax issues. It may not even be legal for them to ship it back to you depending on your country's laws, many countries have strict laws about importation of used electronic goods to prevent dumping and I'm assuming you didn't go through formal importation and paying duties on a used GPU from ebay, you are potentially making EVGA complicit in a crime (tax evasion, illegal importation).

Well bad guess. I paid customs, I still have the papers. And It's not entirely because I'm from LATAM, It's because I'm from LATAM AND I'm the second owner. So all you mention, they already do it for other people in my region.
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 15:45:22 (permalink)
    evga_please_helpme

And It's not entirely because I'm from LATAM, It's because I'm from LATAM AND I'm the second owner. 

Yes, because then EVGA does not know the legal status of the product. If you purchase from an authorized reseller they know it has been properly imported. Even if you did properly import it, EVGA can't make it a policy to replace as not everyone does so and they do not have the expertise or time to verify each grey market product.
    evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 15:49:13 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    evga_please_helpme

And It's not entirely because I'm from LATAM, It's because I'm from LATAM AND I'm the second owner. 

Yes, because then EVGA does not know the legal status of the product. If you purchase from an authorized reseller they know it has been properly imported. Even if you did properly import it, EVGA can't make it a policy to replace as not everyone does so and they do not have the expertise or time to verify each grey market product.

I already said... that they already told me that If I have friends/family in USA, they could keep on with the RMA process and It would be accepted. It's not the way I bought it, it's not that I didn't pay customs, legal status, etc. It's just because I'm the second owner and I'm from LATAM.
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 16:35:47 (permalink)
    evga_please_helpme

I already said... that they already told me that If I have friends/family in USA, they could keep on with the RMA process and It would be accepted. 

Right, because that would be return shipped to a USA address, no import/export legal issues for EVGA. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/01 23:39:50 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    MSim

EVGA Global Warranty

The document in your link was copyrighted 2012 --> Current warranty terms were --> Last update August 11, 2014 (US GPU warranty at least)

As my Spanish is not up to the task, I have no idea what is stated in ---> https://latam.evga.com/support/warranty/

I can't find anything that says warranty no longer follows the product.

EU and Latam customers already feel like second class evga customers.

evga_please_helpme
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/02 09:43:20 (permalink)
    MSim
    Cool GTX
    MSim

EVGA Global Warranty

The document in your link was copyrighted 2012 --> Current warranty terms were --> Last update August 11, 2014 (at least)

As my Spanish is not up to the task, I have no idea what is stated in --->

I can't find anything that says warranty no longer follows the product.

EU and Latam customers already feel like second class evga customers.

Basically it says "the warranty follows the product, check our new policies here!", you click on LATAM and it says that it doesn't follow the product.

Yeah, I feel that way, we're second class evga customers.
    EVGA_Gabriel.S
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 142
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/02 14:51:15 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    evga_please_helpme

This is correct, we need a valid invoice from an authorized reseller that shows that you are the original owner and that you are receiving a replacement as a result. Unfortunately, this is required to clear customs and it's not possible to to send replacements without a valid invoice. 

We are able to replace any product in US/Canada as long as they are within the 3 year warranty and trade agreements with Canada facilitate this process; therefore, we do not require proof of purchase for them as well. 
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11075
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: No warranty because of second hand product 2017/09/02 21:48:19 (permalink)
    Since you bought this through ebay, can you file a claim with ebay?
    They have a money back warranty.
    If you paid with paypal or a credit card they may be able to help you too.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile