Helpful ReplySkylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cjsquirrel
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug 2017/08/20 11:52:25 (permalink)
JimBeamBlack
 Yeah I don't like doing things like BIOS updates from within windows, it just doesn't feel safe to me.

Thanks CJ, that's pretty much what I thought. This is my first UEFI board/bios so I wasn't sure if this is something that may have been changed.  My next question was going to be can I save the settings then reload them, and you answered that as well.

Time to jot down all my settings, get this over with so I can stop worrying about it. 

Glad to help. I have tried to do the settings save and reload going from version 1.02 to 1.03 and got a message that it wasn't compatible (something to that effect) trying to reload. I'm on 1.05 now and running great. Your pc will power cycle several times doing the update. Not to worry!
post edited by cjsquirrel - 2017/08/20 11:55:29
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug 2017/08/21 10:31:10 (permalink)
JimBeamBlack
 Yeah I don't like doing things like BIOS updates from within windows, it just doesn't feel safe to me.

Thanks CJ, that's pretty much what I thought. This is my first UEFI board/bios so I wasn't sure if this is something that may have been changed.  My next question was going to be can I save the settings then reload them, and you answered that as well.

Time to jot down all my settings, get this over with so I can stop worrying about it. 

I used to feel the same way about BIOS updates, but not anymore.  I tend to prefer installing directly from the BIOS, but I've rarely seen problems when flashing from within Windows.  Worst case scenario is usually that the BIOS updater simply won't let you update the BIOS.  All other problems can be experienced just as easily as when updating the BIOS via CMOS.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can always experience small changes to your overclocks after a BIOS update.  Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.  Rearranging the 0s and 1s could make your previous settings more stable or newly unstable, which means you may have to manually work at getting stability again (usually it's a matter of moving the voltages around a little.  Most of the time, however, you won't see much, if any, difference going from one BIOS to the next.  Also, your save files can become corrupt, after flashing to a different version.

As you noted, it's a good idea to write down the settings and just plug them in again after completing the BIOS update.  Once that's done, you can go back to enjoying the system.
daimos84
  • Total Posts : 93
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug 2017/08/23 05:20:58 (permalink)
Can somebody help me to understand, why average statistical has to  flash these fixes? How can i see, that HT works wrong, or there is something wrong with perfomance? It's not sarcasm, just want to know for myself, because all info i d read, was so spatial and without concrete definition.
JimBeamBlack
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 233
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug 2017/08/27 18:04:15 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
JimBeamBlack

I used to feel the same way about BIOS updates, but not anymore.  I tend to prefer installing directly from the BIOS, but I've rarely seen problems when flashing from within Windows.  Worst case scenario is usually that the BIOS updater simply won't let you update the BIOS.  All other problems can be experienced just as easily as when updating the BIOS via CMOS.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can always experience small changes to your overclocks after a BIOS update.  Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.  Rearranging the 0s and 1s could make your previous settings more stable or newly unstable, which means you may have to manually work at getting stability again (usually it's a matter of moving the voltages around a little.  Most of the time, however, you won't see much, if any, difference going from one BIOS to the next.  Also, your save files can become corrupt, after flashing to a different version.

As you noted, it's a good idea to write down the settings and just plug them in again after completing the BIOS update.  Once that's done, you can go back to enjoying the system.

Cool thanks for the info Lee, I took pictures with my cell phone of just about every BIOS page/setting that I needed to adjust after the update and I'm going to store them on a storage drive, it went off without a hitch and I'm back to my comfy overclock, solid as a rock.  It did appear that some of the voltages changed, but after adjusting my settings and rebooting it all looks good. I'm even getting the placebo effect that it feels as if it's running a bit better.....lol

thanks man

EVGA Z590 Dark ; i9 11900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 ; EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra3 ; Creative AE-7 ; Win 11 64bit Pro : EVGA 1200 Plat PSU

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug 2017/08/30 16:59:45 (permalink)
were there any changes other than the HT issue? is there a change log anywhere?

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
Tuxedo.
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyperthreading Bug 2017/08/31 01:37:12 (permalink)
Nope, only the cpu microcode got updated
https://forums.evga.com/Z...l-HT-Bug-m2706428.aspx
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile