Liquid Cooling Loop Design

Author
mrhankey946
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/20 12:05:24 (permalink)
   This question is more of a theory thing then anything but I hope to implement it into my build given time and money can be worked out for it. If money were no option, Ideally I would like to do an SLI setup and CPU that are all water cooled. I've just been thinking about it and wondered if placement in series of the loop is a noticeable difference in heat dissipation. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience or a video/article regarding this. This is all theory and not so much specifics in regards to any one MB/CPU/GPU combination as there are endless possibilities. 

(or reverse order of GPU to 360mm  last and CPU to 240mm first)
Loop circulation 1: pump/reservoir > GPU > GPU > Rad 360mm > CPU > Rad 240mm > pump/reservoir

(or CPU > GPU > GPU >)
Loop circulation 2:  pump/reservoir > GPU > GPU > CPU > Rad 360mm > Rad 240mm > pump/reservoir

(or GPU > GPU > CPU >)
Loop circulation 3: pump/reservoir > 240mm > 360mm > CPU > GPU > GPU > pump/reservoir

I put these in what I think would be the best order, 1 being best and 3 being worst. I would like to assume that loop 1 would be the best(?) option for keeping everything cool. Since the GPU's would be more then likely hotter then the CPU. So those 2 would get the 360mm rad and the CPU would get the 240mm rad. Also being as then any heat source (GPU or CPU) goes from the heat source to a radiator. Not accumulating all the heat from GPU > GPU > CPU (or vice versa) then to the rads then the pump. Finally the 3rd loop being worst just because the hot coolant from all 3 of them would then be going through the pump before they get to a rad to cool down, possibly shortening the life of the pump?

I'm really interested in what anyone has to say and if they have experience with this or know of any videos/articles pertaining to this topic. Thank you!

Affiliate Code: CTAHVSY60U
Heatware
Ebay

7 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/20 13:54:36 (permalink)
    Do what ever order will have the most direct connections with the least amount of tubing and least number of bends. Otherwise, the order doesn't really matter and the temperature differenc of the coolant before and after each component is barely measurable. The coolant effectively heats up as a whole.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

mrhankey946
    iCX Member
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/21 14:24:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply ty_ger07, I have done a little more googling and came across this EK article on the topic. 

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/does-loop-order-matter/

Pretty much says the same as what you mentioned but is more for keeping pressure up in the loop. I think this sums it up pretty much from it.

"Radiators are usually placed just before the reservoir in order to remove heat before the pump, but you can also have radiators between arrays of blocks (largest radiator before GPU and smallest radiator before CPU for optimal thermal performance if your chassis can accommodate it)."

I appreciate the help just wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of unwritten rule or I was missing something. Thanks!

Heatware
    Ebay
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/21 14:49:25 (permalink)
    Once the loop is stable the order does not seem to matter

My biggest Rad is before the reservoir and after the heat load, then the pump, then a smaller 360 Rad (just in case the pump adds any heat)

Good links to read  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2534039

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

mrhankey946
    iCX Member
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/21 15:37:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info Cool, I'll do some reading then. I'm sure it is explained somewhere with all of those articles but quick question about parallel and serial for GPU's. Series is the typical scenario for a CPU and SLI setup, correct? Parallel seems to be only for tri to quad set-ups or if there's more components like MB blocks and RAM blocks to reduce resistance?

Heatware
    Ebay
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/21 17:23:04 (permalink)
    Read this https://www.ekwb.com/blog/does-loop-order-matter/

You can look over these guides quickly https://www.ekwb.com/guides/

With 1 loop

GPU & CPU are in serial usually

GPUs can be either serial or parallel -- I like using a manifold to join the GPU -- EK calls them "Terminal Blocks"

Parallel GPU has less restriction than serial

I usually run the pump on high so it really should not matter much

If GPU are parallel ---> if one of the WB starts to clog, it is clear which one it is --> the hot GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

mrhankey946
    iCX Member
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/22 07:20:17 (permalink)
    Thanks cool yah that was the article I posted the other day after finding it. I appreciate it!

Heatware
    Ebay
    caligrown1985
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Liquid Cooling Loop Design 2017/08/31 10:05:18 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Do what ever order will have the most direct connections with the least amount of tubing and least number of bends. Otherwise, the order doesn't really matter and the temperature differenc of the coolant before and after each component is barely measurable. The coolant effectively heats up as a whole.

ty_ger07 is correct.  A water cooling loop will have its temperature regulate as time goes on.  The only difference you will see with varying loop orders may be 1-2 degrees difference in performance, or there may be more or less time until the loop reaches equilibrium.  The best thing will be to create the loop with the least amount of bends in order to increase flow. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile