EVGA

Solved: X99 classified not really booting

Author
Malurth
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/17 13:06:24 (permalink)
Hi, I just assembled a PC with this mobo but it won't boot. At first it would just briefly cycle power on, shut itself off, then a few seconds later repeat. I removed 2 out of 4 sticks of RAM and the gpu and tried again, and it stays powered on! Still just beeped at me, though; I looked up what the code meant, and it was saying it had nothing to display the console to, so I plugged the GPU back in and a monitor to the GPU.

Sadly, it still never displays an image on screen, and it now just cycles through codes and beeps at me for different reasons.

Specifically: it cycles through codes until it reaches 62, then it waits a second or two, switches to code 9C with a triple-beep, quickly flashes a 64, then does one quick beep with code A2. If you leave it on, it displays a few codes around the high 6 to low 7s range, then slowly increments to 99, where it hangs for a while before repeating the process.

As far as I can tell, those beeps indicate an issue with the ram, but I've tried seating each of my four sticks in the first slot and all give the same result. I don't know how to proceed now...please help?
post edited by Malurth - 2017/08/17 19:49:02

13 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 13:13:48 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums Malurth

Sorry to see your X99 Classy is being difficult

Lets see what we can do

Malurth
    If you leave it on, it displays a few codes around the high 6 to low 7s range, then slowly increments to 99, where it hangs for a while before repeating the process.

This is probably the CPU temp

Please list your build details

CPU
    CPU cooler - where connected to MB
    PSU - what is connected
    RAM - specifices
    GPU - how power is connected which PCIe slot

Have you tried clearing the CMOS ?
    Are you following the manual for all connections -- especially which RAM slots to use ?

Have you confirmed the PCIe switches - cycle them Off then back On ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 13:42:51 (permalink)
    Try a different gpu.
    Malurth
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 14:53:23 (permalink)
    Well, I know the gpu works because I've been using it in my previous PC.

As for parts, I don't have super specifics on most since this is hardware gifted from a friend, but here's the best I got:

Cpu: Intel i7, something close to 7500k I think
    Cpu cooler: it's a corsair h60, with the 3-prong cable connected to the nearby 'cpu fan' part of the mobo; backed by fans on the case drawing power right from the PSU.

PSU is a rosewill glacier 850w, connected is the main 24 pin to mobo, both 8-pin wires to the two ports for them above the cpu, 1 sata power cable, 1 pcie for the gpu, and 1 4-pin molex connected to the case fan replacements.

Ram is 4x hyperX predator ddr4 ram

Gpu only has 1 8pin pcie port, so I connected the pcie PSU cable to it

I haven't tried clearing the cmos, not sure what that is. Should I?

I have followed the manual to the best of my ability; ram was slotted in 1,3,5,7 and now just 1 to try to get it to boot

I'm not familiar with pcie switches, so I haven't done that either.

Finally I thought you may be right about cpu overheat, since earlier I had forgotten to hook up the case fan replacements which feeds into the cpu cooler, and I noticed the tube was quite hot. But it's still doing the same thing even though I left it off for over an hour.
    Malurth
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 15:14:23 (permalink)
    Update: cleared CMOS, now it does mostly the same thing but stays hung on code A2 (which apparently means IDE detect).
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 15:17:17 (permalink)
    What TIM did you put between cooler and CPU

PCIe switches -- look this over   https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=151-HE-E999-KR

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Malurth
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 15:36:00 (permalink)
    I put some Cooler Master thermal paste between the cpu and cooler.

Thanks for the info on pcie switches; though they still have the protective covering over them (and my gpu covers them anyway making them kind of impractical but I guess that's irrelevant). So should I remove the gpu, the covering, cycle the switches, put the gpu back on, and reboot?
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 15:57:35 (permalink)
    Make sure that the drive(s) are set to the correct option in BIOS (AHCI or RAID). Double check that you have the boot order selected to the correct drive. If you get the A2 code try hitting F1 and see if you get a different code. Let us know what you find.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    Malurth
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 16:06:07 (permalink)
    Well, I get no picture on my monitor, so I don't think I can change anything in BIOS.

Hitting F1 during the A2 made it jump to 49, where it started slowly incrementing. Now it doesn't hang on A2 anymore, but it has reverted to the previous behavior of slowly incrementing the code, jumping around a bit, and then looping back to the 9C triple beep -> 64 -> A2 single beep, and repeating.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 17:48:46 (permalink)
    Malurth
    I put some Cooler Master thermal paste between the cpu and cooler.

Thanks for the info on pcie switches; though they still have the protective covering over them (and my gpu covers them anyway making them kind of impractical but I guess that's irrelevant). So should I remove the gpu, the covering, cycle the switches, put the gpu back on, and reboot?

Yes, after unplugging PSU - then hold start button 20 -30 seconds to discharge capacitors. 

Use a ground strap or at a minimum touch the case before touching the parts inside

When you placed cooler on CPU
    1) did you keep the cooler level during the tightening of the 4 retainers ?
           Turn them a little at a time in an X pattern. maybe 1/2 turn, move across to other side ....

2) When did you stop tightening the retainers ?
            Usually 1.5 - 2 turns past the cooler sitting against the CPU is enough - as the springs just need to be compressed a little bit

3) What do the little springs that push the cooler down look like ? 
         The wire coils should still have visible open space between them.  If the coils are touching then it has been over tightened

If the CPU cooler is over tightened or not kept level, the pins in the CPU socket on the MB can be forced out of alignment

-- Confirm that all switches are in the default position

-- Confirm that all PSU power cords are fully seated & locked on both ends if you have a modular PSU

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 17:49:33 (permalink)
    24/7 tech support if you're in America - https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    Malurth
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 18:30:16 (permalink)
    Solved: turns out I'm an idiot, actually.

I thought I had just one DVI cable, so when I confirmed I had 'it' plugged into both the monitor I was using and my PC, I assumed that could not be the issue, as I had been using the cable with no issues.

Cue facepalm when I realized I have two, and had both plugged into thin air instead of each other.

Oh man...
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 18:34:55 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X99 classified not really booting 2017/08/17 18:44:57 (permalink)
    Stuff happen..... learning lesson ... why we usually ask people to check the basics first

Watch those CPU temps

Have fun with your X99 Classy

maybe edit your first post .... edit title to ADD the word Solved

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile