EVGA

Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3

Author
Rainbowsaur
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/17 06:34:16 (permalink)
For a few days my computer has being having.. problems this happened after I left it running for a week without breaks, and decided to turn it off finally for a windows update next morning it decided to freeze while loading windows/in bios posting, obviously I thought it was the update that did it, but thinking to myself why would it freeze in the bios??, I thought about how I left it running the past week also. I decided to take it apart, and put it back together, cleared cmos, and it finally started up. Soon later was getting blue screens/instant shutdowns mainly playing games but not always games. Instant shutdowns lead me to thinking it was a overheating problem originally thinking it could be CPU but the CPU was never getting above 85c during gaming sessions.

Tonight after it shutdown on me mid-game, I managed to open the bios straight away and checked pc health and temperatures. Straight away I can see "NB - 101°c" "CPU - 54°c". NB which is North Bridge from what I've googled. I know for sure this shouldnt be at 101 Celsius, could this be causing blue-screens? for sure explains instant shutdowns. I'll be checking the NB heat sink soon let you know how it looks (if it has one idk) If theres anything else you think I should take a look at let me know, I need experience. Thanks

Thanks for this MB EVGA, I don't want to let go of it just yet though.
post edited by Rainbowsaur - 2017/08/17 06:37:04

6 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3 2017/08/17 09:37:41 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums..101C could be causing the problem, the Tcase_max for the chipset is 100C..See page 13 of the Intel X58 Thermal and Mechanical Design Guide..Yep, you should remove the chipset heatsink and replace the TIM, which is what I would do..Use some decent TIM like MX-4 or another decent TIM.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

oriddlero
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3 2017/09/06 19:07:36 (permalink)
    85c on the CPU is also hot as a mofo.
    Rainbowsaur
    Re: Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3 2017/09/06 19:27:54 (permalink)
    I've overcome my problems just over a week ago, I achieved this by changing my Hard Disk controller mode from IDE mode to AHCI mode, since doing this I have run into no problems. I honestly, have no idea why this has solved all of the issues I had, I thought it would fix 1 issue as my bios was freezing when it was I guess "Loading" my hard disks or detecting them not quite sure what part of the bios does this, but it loads for a moment and either froze or displayed all my disks and continued.

I also used the DISM command line to fix an issue which was making SFC unhappy, however I don't think this was causing my bios to freeze and even causing bluescreens.

Now that its working, I'm not ever sure how hot my NB is while in use, as I cannot seem to get a temperature to display for it in any software, but every now and then I've being checking the temperature, shutting the pc down quickly and checking it in the PC Health inside the bios which showed nothing near 100, (70-75c) at most.

Regardless even though its now working perfectly, I still need to reapply some thermal paste to the NB Heatsink and CPU, as its long overdue and will help my machine stay healthy.
    post edited by Rainbowsaur - 2017/09/06 19:38:35
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3 2017/09/07 08:30:19 (permalink)
    Rainbowsaur
    I've overcome my problems just over a week ago, I achieved this by changing my Hard Disk controller mode from IDE mode to AHCI mode, since doing this I have run into no problems. I honestly, have no idea why this has solved all of the issues I had, I thought it would fix 1 issue as my bios was freezing when it was I guess "Loading" my hard disks or detecting them not quite sure what part of the bios does this, but it loads for a moment and either froze or displayed all my disks and continued.

I also used the DISM command line to fix an issue which was making SFC unhappy, however I don't think this was causing my bios to freeze and even causing bluescreens.

Now that its working, I'm not ever sure how hot my NB is while in use, as I cannot seem to get a temperature to display for it in any software, but every now and then I've being checking the temperature, shutting the pc down quickly and checking it in the PC Health inside the bios which showed nothing near 100, (70-75c) at most.

Regardless even though its now working perfectly, I still need to reapply some thermal paste to the NB Heatsink and CPU, as its long overdue and will help my machine stay healthy.

70c~75 is still kinda hot for the NB even the cpu at 85 is toasty, are you using a fan on the NB heatsink? if not i would get one, 40mm if i remember correctly is the size

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Rainbowsaur
    Re: Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3 2017/09/07 09:28:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, I know the 40mm fan you are on about, I forgot to mention one of my fans is performing at ~700-800rpm which could be that 40mm one. I'm still trying to figure out which fan is what. Might aswell get a new one when I order my Thermal paste, since its old and inexpensive.

I'll be honest my PC needs a makeover the more I look at it, shouldn't cost much either.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Overheating NB? X58 3xSLI Classified 3 2017/09/08 01:08:44 (permalink)
    Lol my 40mm spun at like 4500rpm, it was a buzzy little thing,

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile