Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2017/08/15 23:37:25 (permalink)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11722/intel-reveals-ice-lake-core-architecture-10nm-plus

It's rare for Intel to talk about an unreleased CPU so early but I'm guessing AMD has scared them a little so Intel is making as much marketing hype as possible. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

7 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/08/15 23:43:53 (permalink)
    10nm would offer a lot of improvements both for gaming CPU as well as ultra thin laptops and micro computers.  I am really interested in finding out where it takes us.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/08/16 06:42:52 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11722/intel-reveals-ice-lake-core-architecture-10nm-plus

It's rare for Intel to talk about an unreleased CPU so early but I'm guessing AMD has scared them a little so Intel is making as much marketing hype as possible. 

Nice piece.  Only problem I have is that with the pressure AMD has now put on Intel...will we see more and more rushed platforms? 

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/08/16 06:51:32 (permalink)
    bobmitch
    rjohnson11

Nice piece.  Only problem I have is that with the pressure AMD has now put on Intel...will we see more and more rushed platforms? 

+1

Chipsets and BIOS will need support longer than 6 to 12 months.  Seems yesterdays nice setup looses support as the newer platform launches

Still if the competition pushes performance up and price and power consumption down -- consumer wins

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/08/16 08:47:57 (permalink)
    they had problems with coffee lake on 10nm - not enough time to revamp litho - so they went with 14nm
    ice lake since it's later had the time to revamp lithos and design to work with 10nm

10nm was delayed sooo long - because of problems and coffee lake failed on 10nm(bad lithos, bad power regulation needed new design) and why it's on 14 nm now

when you shrink you have to redesign the chip - the transistors and the power delivery system - your running lower voltages - and closer and closer to cutoff voltages
    it's essential to have good power regulation - to keep power smooth and consistent - power spikes are more critical to leakage and failure - because of the close nature of the parts and power dips will cause losses/hangs as well

for the most part i think intel had it's pants down - not really looking at a full redesign of the chip and why it's been delayed -to fix up the completed design of the chip

Coffee Lake is going to impact Intel’s margins

https://semiaccurate.com/...impact-intels-margins/

as a note Nvidia went thru this with fermi and why they built a chip design simulators(for each generation) after that
    and why Nvidia has been revamping power delivery system with each generation along with the complete redesign of the chip

something AMD should learn to do  ...a GPU that east 500 watts??? when overclocked

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2017/08/16 09:41:54

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/08/16 18:11:16 (permalink)
    It's another "-lake", being physically smaller only means raising frequency and/or core count, the IPC isn't changing much. Skylake was the original 'tick' followed by Cannonlake as the original 'tock', all these other lakes are refreshes so Intel doesn't get hit by FTC for taking their time with lithography progress (abusing their dominance).

Don't you guys remember how Ivy Bridge and Broadwell as shrinks of their originals? There is no reason to go nuts over 10nm until these lakes go away. First opportunity for something new will be 4-5 years after AMD first revealed "Zen" in May 2015.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/08/16 18:53:15 (permalink)
    The answer to the title of this thread is cannonlake.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Intel Officially Reveals What's Coming After Coffee Lake: The 10 nm Ice Lake 2017/09/09 18:06:02 (permalink)

From hot coffee to ice cold lake. That's what my coffee tastes like if I wait to long to drink it. These names are funny.    ;)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile