CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice?

Author
markholley
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/15 20:49:32 (permalink)
Hi all,

I have an EVGA GTX 1070 that I installed a few months ago in my older AMD FX 8300 desktop. Just started using a 1TB SSD as well and that's working pretty decently for me. I'll be ready to purchase and install new components in mid-October. I'm not looking for bleeding-edge tech but I do want to head off potential bottlenecks that my current motherboard/cpu/ram combination might cause.

I was wondering if the following would work together:

- i7-7700K processor
- ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 DP motherboard. I think this is also known as ROG MAXIMUS HERO or something.
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM (this RAM seems to have different speeds available and to be honest I'm not sure which one to get).
- Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

It's been many years since I've switched out a motherboard and processor so I might spring and get a professional to do that for me... not sure yet. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

6 Replies Related Threads

jfw06013
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 586
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice? 2017/08/16 00:23:51 (permalink)
    I have 3 different computers and building a 4th, why?
    Each one has a pacific purpose.

One is my main computer that I do searching the web, email, banking, SETI at Home, and play older games.
    It's a 6 year old X58 motherboard (Asus Sabertooth, it sucks and will be replaced with another X58 motherboard this week). Asus customer support sucks.
    It has a i7 980X CPU (6 core) with 24 GB ram and a EVGA 1050 Ti GPU.

My other computer is a X58 Asus P6t Deluxe Version 2, love this motherboard.
    This has a i7 975X (4 core), 12 GB ram a small ssd drive and a 6 Tb Seagate hard drive with 2 EVGA 1050 Ti GPU.

I run Plex media server, DVDFAB (a video ripper and converter) and SETI at home.
    DVDFAB uses the cuda cores for high speed translation of video formats so I have to turn off SETI as it uses the cuda cores too.
    With 1 EVGA 1050 Ti DVDFAB does up to 500 frames per second, with 2 it does up to 1400 frames per second.

My monster is built around a Cosmos II case, i7 6980x (10 core CPU), 4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000 MHz 16 GB (32 total) (so I can use the 4 channel memory), EVGA 1080 Hybrid GPU, EVGA 1080 super clocked GPU, EVGA X99 Classified motherboard that has a 4 core Sound Blaster GPU.
    A small ssd drive for OS and a 1 Tb Seagate barracuda hard drive.
    I plan to add 2 more 1080's GPU's as the motherboard supports 4.

Although this would be a great video editing machine I do not use it for that.
    I use it for SETI at Home only.

Lastly, the new one I'm building has a EVGA case (DG-85) that I suggest you don't buy as it has no provision for a DVD drive. You have to buy a external USB one.

I plan to replace my P6T with this one.
    So far no cpu, ram, gpu.
    So what are you using your new computer for?

I suggest you buy from EVGA as there customer service is way above anyone else.

In conclusion, buy motherboards, video cards from EVGA.
    CPU, RAM, Cases from someone else.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice? 2017/08/16 00:30:24 (permalink)
    I'm using i7-7700k (KabyLake) and ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO Z270 motherboard. ZERO issues with ASUS mobo. I would check the Qualified Vendors Lists to see if the memory you want was tested or not on that mobo. The H60 is compatible with that CPU socket.

Have you checked out PcPartPicker? It's a nice site that allows you to make parts list and share it. When you finally decide on the parts you want, i would avoid 3rd party sellers on Amazon and Newegg or any retailer that allows them. Look for Sold and Shipped by retailer.

Check out some youtube videos showing how to build Z270 system, maybe it will change your mind on paying someone else to do it for you.

I would recommend going with a mobo from one of the top 3 mfg (ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI). They offer best features for the money.
    post edited by MSim - 2017/08/16 00:33:43

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice? 2017/08/16 09:14:20 (permalink)
    Those MOBO suppliers listed by MSim (sorry just my experience on support);  EVGA may cost more for some mix of features, but if some thing is not quite right and it fails in the warranty time...it is addressed immediately.   
    [I have never had those 3  mfg address my mobo issues period; just had to purchase a new MOBO.]

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice? 2017/08/16 09:27:54 (permalink)
    KenMcC
    Those MOBO suppliers listed by MSim (sorry just my experience on support);  EVGA may cost more for some mix of features, but if some thing is not quite right and it fails in the warranty time...it is addressed immediately.   
    [I have never had those 3  mfg address my mobo issues period; just had to purchase a new MOBO.]

+1

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice? 2017/08/16 13:55:50 (permalink)
    KenMcC

I never had a motherboard mess up on me. Every day of the week i would take a motherboard that has premium features over paying more for less. What's it say when most places that sell custom built system choose ASUS, GIGABYTE or MSI motherboards for the majority of the systems they sell. 

EVGA uses outdated audio chip 1150 (ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI use realtek latest audio chip S1220)
    EVGA uses basic realtek audio software
    EVGA doesn't give you software to overclock and control system fans from the desktop
    EVGA doesn't give you water flow header or RGB Headers

I have no problems recommending or going with evga when it comes to graphics cards or power supplies.

markholley
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combination Advice? 2017/08/16 14:43:41 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the advice so far. It's nice to know that the board/processor/cooler combination will work, and I've taken a look at the list of tested RAM as well and plan to match up the right Crucial part number(s). In answer to the question about what I use the system for, I mainly use it for standard email/web work, watching Netflix and so on, Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign CC, light 3ds Max 2017 work, and as many games as I can afford - my current favorites are Pillars of Eternity and Fallout 4, though I just got Deus Ex Mankind Divided on sale and I hear that that one is a resource hog. It'll be the first game that I try when I get the upgrades 6 weeks from now. :)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile