Black Screen while Folding

Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2017/08/13 07:34:40 (permalink)
Alright so the notorious black screen while folding has come back.  The PC locks up where nothing happens when you press numlock on the keyboard and you can hear the fans ramp up as if the PC is being powered on but nothing happens.  No BSOD's are shown to at least lead me to the right path of possibilities.

It's my secondary rig / folding machine for Team EVGA.  I'm folding as we speak on my main rig to make up for the lost time/days and points so I can maybe make the 4 mil a month. 

Folding Rig PC Specs 
i7-950
Intel X58SO
GTX 760s (x2) in SLI
Corsair TX 950w
Samsung 500GB SSD
Win 7

I've made sure all the drivers are up-to-date with the exception of the Nvidia Driver which is from last winter iirc and they're only 760s.

I than decided to benchmark a bit in hopes to see what may be the issue but nothing has shown up.  I furmarked the GPU's for 30 mins roughly with no issues.  I even ran a CPU benchmark for a few mins and nothing there.  I know that's not much of a bench on the CPU but I don't use the CPU for folding at all other than the communications it does for the GPUs.

(30 min Furmark 1080p)

After all of this, not one freeze.  The PSU was pretty much being pushed similarly to Folding so I feel that might not be an issue.  I don't know where to look anymore other than maybe the MB is going bad, PSU or GPU?  I than started folding and after a couple of minutes at the most, black screen again.  smh

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

13 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/13 07:55:47 (permalink)
    Just now, I tried folding for the 20th attempt and now getting constant power off and power on cycling with no screen or post.  I think my PSU just gave but what are you guys thinking?  I unfortunately don't have another PSU to test the rig without taking apart my main rig which will not happen.  (80lbs+ custom cooling)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/13 08:03:21 (permalink)
    folding is no where near as intensive as furmark which makes me suspicious that it ran fine and folding gives you errors. but power cycles could be PSU so giving that a shot isnt a bad idea. lets just hope it isnt the board.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/13 08:13:30 (permalink)
    Test the next time this happen by Turing Off your Monitor and pull the Power Cable from your Monitor.
    Wait a minute and plug the Monitor Power Cable back in and Turn on your Monitor and is should come back on.
    For me this has worked 10 out of 10 times while Folding. Also this is when your KB still works by turning on and off the "Num Lock" Key.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/08/13 08:15:33

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/13 08:16:19 (permalink)
    I think so too Chris.  I also should note, the PSU was purchased in 11/2009.  Has a 5 yr warranty which is already up and almost going on for 7 years.  

It's been folding for the last 5 years pretty much.  Same system specs but the GPUs were different.  The originals were GTX 480 (Fermi's, oh lawd) and than switched to two GTX 760s the last I wanna say 2-3 years so I know it's been through a lot. 

The cycling pre-post is making me think its the PSU as when black screen happens, its like there isn't enough power to even write up a BSOD or something. lol

bcavnaugh
    Test the next time this happen by Turing Off your Monitor and pull the Power Cable from your Monitor.
    Wait a minute and plug the Monitor Power Cable back in and Turn on your Monitor and is should come back on.
    For me this has worked 10 out of 10 times while Folding. Also this is when your KB still works by turning on and off the "Num Lock" Key.

Will do thx.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/13 13:49:35 (permalink)
    I'm curious about the conclusion of this. I don't have a spare PSU anymore, wish I did. It sounds like you have had this issue before. Hope it's something easy.  
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/13 17:33:09 (permalink)
    notfordman
    I'm curious about the conclusion of this. I don't have a spare PSU anymore, wish I did. It sounds like you have had this issue before. Hope it's something easy.  

Yeah I actually did.  I started getting these black screens at first maybe 1-2 years ago and it just progressed slowly.  Won't have nothing for months and it happens one time.  Last winter when it was a bit warmer internally, it was acting up and than let go.  It did well through this summer but did black out a few times.  Nothing like these last few days and never seen it cycle like that when I hard resetted it today.

Will keep ya up to speed. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/14 07:42:27 (permalink)
    Just ordered this bad boy.  I know its a bit of pay and extreme some might say but its more of a long term investment (12-year warranty) for anything I throw at it and can be a backup PSU in emergency situations for my main rig as well. 
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/08/14 07:47:40

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2251
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/14 08:07:39 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Just ordered this bad boy.  I know its a bit of pay and extreme some might say but its more of a long term investment (12-year warranty) for anything I throw at it and can be a backup PSU in emergency situations for my main rig as well. 

Wow, that is a good warrantee time.
    Fingerscrossed it solves your problem...

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/14 08:58:55 (permalink)
    HK-Steve
    GTXJackBauer

Wow, that is a good warrantee time.
    Fingerscrossed it solves your problem...

I hope so too m8.  

I did some comparisons and read some reviews.  I know Platinum would have been cheaper but since I knew I would run this PSU around the clock for years to come, I didn't want to cheap out and just go with the best design, components and efficiency possible.  I would have liked going to a higher wattage in case I ever have two beefy machines running high end GPUs but I feel 850w for the secondary/folding rig is more than enough for SLI, even with custom cooling if I ever head that route.  Just worry about the spikes one could get during benching, etc. but I'm not a huge bencher so I'm not too worried there.  

I will say, the two Titanium 850w PSUs in the market is this Seasonic and EVGA's.  After looking, Seasonic has more connectors and is cheaper in price while scoring a tide better in reviews so it was a win/win all around.  The only issue I might have is the CS as I feel is a tad better with EVGA because I've read how much people had to pay to ship their RMAs to Seasonic etc., as it didn't sound like a friendly price but also read how they've gone above and beyond for some as well.  I just hope I'll never have to RMA period.

I should note, some of the Seasonic PRIME PSU retail boxes advertise 10 years of warranty on them while earlier this year, Seasonic had announced it changed their policy and extended it from 10 to 12 years while the competitors are still at 10.      To put this into perspective, this PSU that was purchased today is insured till 2029.  

For those that might be interesting, here's a nice review on this PSU.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/08/14 09:04:59

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/14 10:58:28 (permalink)
    Sounds like solid thinking to me. I'm with Steve, hope this is your issue!! You answered the question I had, which was did you look @ Jonnyguru for review. Looks like a great PSU. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/14 11:50:42 (permalink)
    How are your GPUs cooled ?

If air cooled, what happens when running only 1 GPU folding ?

Have a spare video cable to test with ?

Monitor input select set to:  Auto or Manual ?

Your OP mentions "SLI" --> you have SLI disabled for Folding - right ?

Usually a bad PSU on too high of a load just turns off the PC

Any issues in Device manager ?

More than 1 sound driver loaded (MB + Nvidia or sound card) --> if so delete all but One sound driver

Run CCleaner  (free version) - clean up your drive, then run the Registry tool

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/16 12:10:09 (permalink)
    Most of my 3 card rigs run the Seasonic X-850 gold power supply - a couple of the more recent ones are running the SS-860XP Platinum as supplies of the gold have dried up and I didn't like most of the AVAILABLE alternatives (availability on the EVGA 850 G2 has also dried up).

Most of those rigs are running 660-700 watts at the wall, which is a good fit for 2 of them on a single 15 Amp circuit with 24/7 derating - right about 6 amps per rig at the normal voltage I see at the sockets.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Black Screen while Folding 2017/08/16 17:52:20 (permalink)
    PSU showed much quicker than I thought.  Distribution center next state over had the PSU so it was a win/win other than Fedex taking their time instead of coming literally the next day of purchase.  Regardless, took out the non-modular PSU out (gasp) and put this bad boy in the Antec 1200.  Started up folding and now for some silly reason, I can't get advanced control to open for the life of me.  Uninstalled, restart, installed, restart, still no show.  I don't know what else do to.  I did remove a headphone driver only if I bring over my headset to it which is rare but that didn't change a thing.  

I feel I'm all out of options here.  Hope some have some good recommendations or advice on what I should do.  I would love to steer away from a complete format if this is possible.  Thx

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile