Full Coverage CPU Monoblock

Author
caligrown1985
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/03 21:06:19 (permalink)
Hello,

I have a question regarding water cooling and I haven't found a reliable answer. I have done air cooling and I've never done anything outside of an AIO unit as far as water cooling is concerned. I noticed there aren't a lot of full cover CPU blocks,full cover being a monoblock covering CPU and VRM, available for anything outside of an Asus Rampage V or an Asus Maximus Apex/Hero. My question is whether a full coverage block does anything for overclocking performance, this is more for visual appeal, or if these are more hassle than they are worth. I am asking because I don't see these available for EVGA motherboards, and these motherboards seem to be highly reliable and stable for overclocking. Any input is appreciated!

7 Replies Related Threads

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5183
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/04 09:39:11 (permalink)
    The mono blocks are mostly for ease of loop routing and convenience. That way you don't have multiple blocks to connect to and install. You aren't going to see any benefit as to OC'ing with a mono block vs individual blocks. You don't usually see EVGA blocks since the X58/SR-2 boards because EVGA is such a small percentage of motherboards sold VS Asus and the like that most manufacturers don't see the ability to profit from making them. We have been lucky to have a forum member (nateman_doo) that has been our go to guy for mono blocks when there was enough demand for them but I don't know what his last big project was on them.

jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/04 13:31:05 (permalink)
    Water cooling the VRMs will only really benefit you if you are doing extreme overclocking meaning giving the CPU and VRMs a lot of extra voltage. The stock heat sinks on them will do a good job of keeping the VRM temps within tolerance under normal over clocking conditions. The mono blocks do look sweet though but cost a lot more that just a CPU only block would. EK makes one for a few different boards. MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte. Just the high end boards though as said by zophar, limited market for these.
    post edited by jonkrmr - 2017/08/04 15:36:05

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/05 05:05:06 (permalink)
    On one side monoblocks cut number of fittings and tubing required while looking really nice (for the most part anyway).

On the other monoblocks are absolute pain in the back when you want to swap CPU (faulty or as an upgrade). You have to remove whole board. Unscrew everything, replace CPU and re-seat the monoblock again.

Me personally, prefer separate blocks for everything than one solid piece of kit. There is also no cooling benefit from using one approach or another.

There are two approaches to monoblocks. Something called FCB (Full cover block) by Bitspower. Its a set of blocks (3 or 4) which together form homogeneous whole - if you need to replace CPU, just have to remove two pieces - top cover and CPU block. Advantage of this system is that technically you don't even need the top cover and can connect blocks separately as usual. On the other side is for example EK. Monoblock is solid piece of metal/acryl/POM. To replace CPU total dismantling of the motherboard loop is required (that includes VGAs and memory block if used). With some monoblocks (like offered for X99 Asus WS by Liquid Ecstasy) you have to take extreme care when seating it - its big lump of heavy cooper and it has to align perfectly. Another crazy idea is monoblock for Asus Rampage 5 Edition 10 from EK. To mount it you have to drill the holes (EK manual) on 2011-3 mounting socket - basically you make  motherboard worthless and void every imaginable warranty procedures because of physical damage to the PCB - which for any vendor is Auto-Null&Void-Warranty clause.

I don't agree that VRM blocks are only worthwhile for extreme overclockers. Take Classy X99. I've cut 20C between standard heatsink and using Bitspower block. Right now my OC 5930 VRM hovers at 38 (while with radiator it was often hitting 60C when temperature outside skyrocketed). Especially in cases with not enough airflow or built for quiet operation VRM block is a no-brainer.

Affiliate Code: JVPQCRFI8N
    caligrown1985
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/05 12:46:52 (permalink)
    Thank you for the information. After much debate I decided to go with a z270 chipset or x299 over x99, using Kaby Lake or Kaby Lake X respectively. The thing that caught me up with this decision is cooling of the VRM. Of all the motherboards out right now I am most interested in the Asus Maximus Extreme with the monoblock feature because it is an all in one package for a water cooled motherboard. I was honestly unaware of what was necessary to install the EK monoblock on the Rampage 5, had no clue it would void a warranty. That's makes the Extreme with the stock monoblock even more appealing. However, if I could overclock an i7-6850k to perform anywhere near an i7-7700k then it may be a better choice to go x99 given the extra pcie lanes and such. Aaand the circular argument goes on lol.
    caligrown1985
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/11 09:11:23 (permalink)
    zophar
    You aren't going to see any benefit as to OC'ing with a mono block vs individual blocks.

Can I safely assume a system with water cooled VRMs will run more stable with higher overclocks? My plan is to get an i7-7700k and try and get it as close to 5.0 ghz as possible.  Would you say this much of an overclock will require more than air cooled VRMs?
    jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/11 13:06:54 (permalink)
    Not really. Water cooling your VRMs will not let your CPU overclock any higher or be more stable than if the VRMs were air cooled. That is really dependent on the CPU you have (silicon lottery) and the quality of the mother board you are using. What water cooling the VRMs will get you is lower VRM temps than air. If you are using a quality mother board, the VRMs used on it should be of high quality and be rated for 90-100c temp specs so even under air they would be OK. Temperature is an electronic circuits' worst enemy. Constant high to limit temps will cause the IC to wear out and\or fail sooner than designed. Basically water cooling your VRMs are not really going to help get a better more stable over clock on your CPU but will help your VRMs last longer before failing\wearing out. But because of the relatively long design life these ICs have, you would normally be replacing\upgrading it before it would fail\wear out anyway. Unless you are doing extreme things overclocking with hard voltage mods, LN2, etc. then all bets are off anyway.  

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    maxfly
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Full Coverage CPU Monoblock 2017/08/12 12:32:33 (permalink)
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-thor-eix99-nickel-plated-full-covered-block-clear.html
    there is a huge thread about using this mono block on all of the evga x99 mbs in the x99 section.

I7 8086K- MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC-2x GTX 980 TI
    4x8GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000c19
    Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2
    WD Blue 1TB- EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Thermaltake X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
    EK Supremacy EVO Nickel- EK-FC980 GTX TI x2
    XSPC RX360- HWLabs SR2 420- HWLabs GTR 240

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile