EVGA

Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code?

Author
Sporx
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/28 06:28:36 (permalink)
 x99 Classified
Intel 5930k Stock speed
16 gigs G.SKILL TridentZ PC4 24000 * model number F4-3000C15D-8GTZB* Stock speed
Intel 730 240 GB x2 raid 0 *model number SSDSC2BP240G4R5*
MSi 980Ti Lightning LE
Windows 10.
Seasonic Snow Silent 1050w PSU

Basically I'll be in the middle of a game or even watching video and my monitors will just turn off and say no signal detected. My game or video will still be running in the background and i can talk to everyone on voice chat, I can even tab and alt-f4 processes. When I turn off my computer and turn it back on I get the normal post code followed by 4 slow beeps with 1 second intervals.

I have to turn off my powersupply and wait for the motherboard lights to die and then the computer will post like normal and boot like nothing happened. Its not a heat issue as I've monitored the temperatures, Its not a memory issue as I've run memtest for 10 hours while I was away, I don't even want to consider it a GPU Issue because my games still run.

The post code changing and not letting me reboot until I power down and wait are the only clue I have as to what the issue might be which is why I'm here. When I google this issue most of the posts concerning whats happening to me date back to 2010 or 2013 and deal with a wide spanning host of reasons and fixes. This randomly started happening several months ago after owning the x99 classified for about a year. Nothing really triggers It, It will go a month without happening then happen twice in a week or happen every other day then not happen for 3-5 weeks. The only way I've gotten it to happen consistantly is to leave my computer on for a very long time without rebooting and then try to play a game, but this most recent time It happened right after a fresh reboot.

What are my options here? Theres no way to get my monitors to turn back on when this happens. Unplugging them and plugging them back in does nothing. Windows doesn't make any error noises so even if i could screen capture while it happened I don't even think there would be an error message. Maybe its my monitor? Why would that make my computer not post on reboot though?
post edited by Sporx - 2017/07/28 06:40:16

9 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10322
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/28 07:32:16 (permalink)
    Hi and welcome to the forums...

A few things you can try if you haven't yet.

Try a different cable to connect the GPU to the display.
    Try connecting the cable from the display to a different connector on the GPU.  (if DVI, try DP, etc.)
    Use DDU to clean out all Nvidia related driver files.  Follow safe mode cleaning > http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    Try changing your windows power options to high performance with your monitor set to never go off.
    Do you have CSM enabled in the BIOS?  If not, try enabling it.

Is your Win10 an upgrade from an older OS?  If so, do a fresh OS install of the current W10 version.  (last resort)

EDIT:  When you do you new driver install after running DDU, use the custom install method selecting only the graphics & physX components.  Uncheck everything else.
    post edited by bdary - 2017/07/28 07:41:17

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/28 08:06:35 (permalink)
    The video blanking out, but background processes still working, points to a video card issue. If you have another PC to test the GPU in, even a friend's, it would really help narrow it down.

The 4 beep post code might just be that your CMOS battery is weak and needs to be replaced. I had slow beeps on my X99 Classified at one point, and replacing the 2032 coin CMOS battery fixed that. My Classified was only a year old at the time, so perhaps these boards tend to drain the CMOS battery faster than other boards.
    Sporx
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/28 10:04:37 (permalink)
    arestavo
    The video blanking out, but background processes still working, points to a video card issue. If you have another PC to test the GPU in, even a friend's, it would really help narrow it down.

The 4 beep post code might just be that your CMOS battery is weak and needs to be replaced. I had slow beeps on my X99 Classified at one point, and replacing the 2032 coin CMOS battery fixed that. My Classified was only a year old at the time, so perhaps these boards tend to drain the CMOS battery faster than other boards.

Right but why would a video card issue cause my computer to fail to post on reboot ?
    How would CMOS battery being low cause the video card to crash?
    How would games keep running if the videocard has stopped working ?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/28 12:42:58 (permalink)
    #1 Replace your cmos battery.
    #2 Try reseating the video card/running the video card in a different pci-e slot.
    #3 Try powering the gpu with a different set of pci-e power cables.
    #4 Try reproducing the black out problem using all outputs on the gpu.

Sporx
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/28 14:30:06 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm going to try alot of these solutions, but again the problem takes awhile to show up so I won't know if any of them worked for awhile. I'll bump the thread later on if these solutions don't bear fruit thanks guys.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/28 15:20:17 (permalink)
    Sporx
    arestavo

Right but why would a video card issue cause my computer to fail to post on reboot ?
    How would CMOS battery being low cause the video card to crash?
    How would games keep running if the videocard has stopped working ?

I'm thinking that it's two separate issues - the GPU blanking out, and the motherboard having 4 slow beeps. It could be the GPU causing both.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10322
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/29 09:15:58 (permalink)
    Sporx
    Ok, I'm going to try alot of these solutions, but again the problem takes awhile to show up so I won't know if any of them worked for awhile. I'll bump the thread later on if these solutions don't bear fruit thanks guys.

Sounds good.  Keep us posted...

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/29 10:39:26 (permalink)
    Just learned this the other day from EVGA's Livestream - with no video out, but everything else appearing to work, you can press "control, shift, windows key, b" all at the same time to force a GPU refresh. It clears the GPU's frame buffer and causes the GPU driver to reload. Your game might crash when doing this, but it saves a restart.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Weird monitor turn off crash with 4 beep post code? 2017/07/29 16:17:31 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Just learned this the other day from EVGA's Livestream - with no video out, but everything else appearing to work, you can press "control, shift, windows key, b" all at the same time to force a GPU refresh. It clears the GPU's frame buffer and causes the GPU driver to reload. Your game might crash when doing this, but it saves a restart.

Wow that's freakin awesome!  LOL  Just did that with a game and a bunch of other things I have open and didn't crash.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile