EVGA

Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Squall_Rinoa86
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1735
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2017/07/20 00:05:22 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Outstanding that Corsair has offered to replace the PSU. Once that is done RMA the defect card and then see if everything is fine.

not unheard of. XFX offered to replace my 850W BES Black Edition without a real solid issue. I decided to just jump to the 1300 G2.

Grats on getting it handled, even if you had to get a different model.
post edited by Squall_Rinoa86 - 2017/07/20 00:13:23

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
Silvaren
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (A 5th card Failed Now) 2017/07/21 00:28:02 (permalink)
Thank you. Sadly it costed me a waterblock and i didn't even have a chance to use it ( i still keep it lol), plus shipments and taxes which costed me as much as a new card. Well at least my new 1080 Classified is working rock solid for months and i am happy with it.

EVGATech_BrandonS
Hello Silvaren,
I am very sorry for the troubles you have been experiencing with your EVGA video card.  I have emailed our EU team to further review your request and see how they can assist you further. 

-Brandon 

Hello Brandon

I was wondering what did Evga find on their tests. I didn't get an email even if i was promised to receive one.

After seeing a few threads about the same card i feel like there is an issue that affected this card or at least a specific batch had it. I don't know about the other owners of this card but at least i deserve to know what was wrong with them. Is it related to 1080 thermal issues http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2691-final-evga-vrm-thermal-torture-test-and-analysis did something go wrong on a specific batch (such as capacitors) or is it something else ?

Can you share EVGA's findings on this matter please ?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600877/2-dead-980-ti-kingpins-back-to-back-need-help
https://forums.evga.com/3rd-EVGA-GTX-980-Ti-Kingpin-Edition-Dead-m2661625.aspx
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2687592 (Another user reporting the same problem under my thread)

A few months ago 2 users sent me a pm about 980 ti Kingpin failing on them 2-3 times in a row on a different tech forums, i can also ask them to provide their serials as well if it is needed.

Thank you.
faceitpaige
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (A 5th card Failed Now) 2017/07/22 01:19:29 (permalink)
Silvaren
Thank you. Sadly it costed me a waterblock and i didn't even have a chance to use it ( i still keep it lol), plus shipments and taxes which costed me as much as a new card. Well at least my new 1080 Classified is working rock solid for months and i am happy with it.

EVGATech_BrandonS
Hello Silvaren,
I am very sorry for the troubles you have been experiencing with your EVGA video card.  I have emailed our EU team to further review your request and see how they can assist you further. 

-Brandon 

Hello Brandon

I was wondering what did Evga find on their tests. I didn't get an email even if i was promised to receive one.

After seeing a few threads about the same card i feel like there is an issue that affected this card or at least a specific batch had it. I don't know about the other owners of this card but at least i deserve to know what was wrong with them. Is it related to 1080 thermal issues  did something go wrong on a specific batch (such as capacitors) or is it something else ?

(Another user reporting the same problem under my thread)

A few months ago 2 users sent me a pm about 980 ti Kingpin failing on them 2-3 times in a row on a different tech forums, i can also ask them to provide their serials as well if it is needed.

Thank you.
[/quote
I would also like to know if there was any findings and their response is also. This isn't an isolated problem and it's not a coincidence either. We all have the issues with this particular model. I've emailed them per your suggestion to ask for a different model but was turned down. I was really desperate so I forwarded my request to all the support team including Mr. Darwin but only customer service replied back. The replies seemed a little condescending at times but that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I just want something reliable and not be paranoid as to when or if this same problem would arise again. Not to mention the amount of time we've all put in to troubleshoot it our, money spent on buying this part and that part to see if it'll work and the shipping cost for the Rma. Is it so much to ask to have a RELIABLE working product with the amount of money we spent. EVGA has a great warranty in my opinion but I would prefer to avoid all this RMA. It's been almost a year for me (purchased around September, 2016) . Just checked on the status of the status of my RMA and looks like I'll be getting the same model again from what the part number reads and is just waiting for shipment. Who knows, maybe third times the charm 🤔. Heres to faith. Cheers. ☺
SystemsOgreLoad
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (A 5th card Failed Now) 2017/07/26 10:58:38 (permalink)
Holy crap, do these cards just die very easily? I guess it is a lot of power going to the card
Tiamat74
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (A 5th card Failed Now) 2017/07/31 00:01:56 (permalink)
Silvaren

EVGATech_BrandonS
Hello Silvaren,

-Brandon 

Hello Brandon

After seeing a few threads about the same card i feel like there is an issue that affected this card or at least a specific batch had it. I don't know about the other owners of this card but at least i deserve to know what was wrong with them. Is it related to 1080 thermal issues  did something go wrong on a specific batch (such as capacitors) or is it something else ?

(Another user reporting the same problem under my thread)

Thank you.

I got same issue two cards died the third is still alive they have my serials as well. I've read several threads about this issue. I've reported it to sweclockers as well.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (A 5th card Failed Now) 2017/08/14 12:23:20 (permalink)
temp lock removed

PLEASE - stay on topic

Posts that were off topic have been relocated to a new thread "900 series GPU issues - are they holding up for you"

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2705415

Future posts that derail this thread will be removed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

The0bvious
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2017/09/02 12:08:34 (permalink)
Putting this out here in case anyone else is having these issues, I have had four 980 ti Kingpins fail on me now in three various builds all RMA'd back to EVGA, another one just failed so I am requesting another set of cards as I have an SLI build. I have had it with these cards, $900 each and never got stability out of them...
AytrusTekis
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/02/08 10:53:00 (permalink)
I am now having the same issues as others here in this thread and on these forums. Crashing to solid color screens requiring whole system reboot.

980Ti Kingpin card, fails any time I play any game that puts a reasonable load on the the card.
As far as troubleshooting goes: (this was a few weeks ago now so listing by memory)
-Card installed on a brand new install of Win10.
-Used DDU to wipe and reinstall drivers.
-Tested multiple PCIe slots on the mobo.
-Completely wiped and reinstalled Win10.
-Replaced the PSU (testing on the old PSU proved it was not faulty).
-Tested in a second computer with similar specs.
-Have two older GPU that work just fine (a very old 550, and the previously installed 970).

The problem persisted in all cases. Was tearing my hair out thinking I had a bad mobo. Found these forum posts.
One extra step in troubleshooting I dont remember seeing here was I monitored the temps on the card. If the card stayed below 60c, it seemed to run indefinitely, even while playing lower graphics games. Any time the card exceeded 60c, a crash was inevitable, just a matter of time (between 5-15 minutes tops). I do not intend to run the card on a water block or LN2.

I have begun my journey through the RMA process now. I spoke with a CSR both when I made the RMA and when the card arrived back at EVGA and was very clear "This is a seemingly known issue with this card, it matches perfectly with several other posts in the forums, they were not solved until a model swap took place" and requested that they swap for an equivalent model right from the start. Unfortunately, I am getting the "Im sorry we have processes we have to go through" line. I respect that, I understand what its like to be bound by bureaucracy.

I guess we will see how many cards it takes me to return before they get me the model swap. I will be more than happy to find a 980Ti Kingpin work for me... but based on these forum posts and my experience, my hopes are not high for that.

Wish me luck.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/02/08 11:44:51 (permalink)
AytrusTekis
I am now having the same issues as others here in this thread and on these forums. Crashing to solid color screens requiring whole system reboot.

980Ti Kingpin card, fails any time I play any game that puts a reasonable load on the the card.
As far as troubleshooting goes: (this was a few weeks ago now so listing by memory)
-Card installed on a brand new install of Win10.
-Used DDU to wipe and reinstall drivers.
-Tested multiple PCIe slots on the mobo.
-Completely wiped and reinstalled Win10.
-Replaced the PSU (testing on the old PSU proved it was not faulty).
-Tested in a second computer with similar specs.
-Have two older GPU that work just fine (a very old 550, and the previously installed 970).

The problem persisted in all cases. Was tearing my hair out thinking I had a bad mobo. Found these forum posts.
One extra step in troubleshooting I dont remember seeing here was I monitored the temps on the card. If the card stayed below 60c, it seemed to run indefinitely, even while playing lower graphics games. Any time the card exceeded 60c, a crash was inevitable, just a matter of time (between 5-15 minutes tops). I do not intend to run the card on a water block or LN2.

I have begun my journey through the RMA process now. I spoke with a CSR both when I made the RMA and when the card arrived back at EVGA and was very clear "This is a seemingly known issue with this card, it matches perfectly with several other posts in the forums, they were not solved until a model swap took place" and requested that they swap for an equivalent model right from the start. Unfortunately, I am getting the "Im sorry we have processes we have to go through" line. I respect that, I understand what its like to be bound by bureaucracy.

I guess we will see how many cards it takes me to return before they get me the model swap. I will be more than happy to find a 980Ti Kingpin work for me... but based on these forum posts and my experience, my hopes are not high for that.

Wish me luck.

Good luck.
Dave3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 720
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/02/09 12:34:09 (permalink)
Good luck.

Maybe since you have a 550 card, you can do what I did (THE only thing so far that has made my card stable, and its funny you mention the degree's celcius, because I have noticed that when I go over 155f, I get ALL kinds of issues, but 151/152f and I can play decently in games).

Here is what I HAVE to do to even play a game:
1. Install the 550 as a dedicated PhysX card.
2. Install MSI Afterburner.
3. Set afterburner to have 100% fan speed on the 900 card, AND set priority to "GPU Temp Target" (this only works when I go OVER nvidias/evga's regular temp top setting of 85C, so I set it to 86C or 87C, and it works. I have no idea what your cards top temp throttled setting is, but you should be able to ask someone here what it is, or read a review and see what it is. Afterburner is setting mine to 83c, instead of the REAL 85c, so keep that in mind also)(since both the power and temp are set together, you HAVE to slide both at the same time, or at least msi does it that way, I dont really know much about this stuff. What I DO know is that the 85c set by the mfr is BS on my card, as it reaches that temp in 1-2 minutes of even LAUNCHING a game, let alone playing it).
4. Run afterburner before you start a game.

Only THEN can I play a game w/o issue.
Sometimes it seems bad right from the start, and I have to reboot the computer and do it all over again, but I got it working in games now, so I dont care.

I KNOW its an evga/nvidia issue, everyone KNOWS there is an issue, but noone will do squate about it.
I did all that stuff too, and 6 cards later, still have issues.
But, since I have a workaround for right now, I dont care. Maybe when another game REQUIRES me to have a driver over 388.00, and I start having issues yet again, then I will comne back to it.
But, for now, try that and see if it works.
Remember, you have to SET afterburner to 86/87C AND move Priority to gpu temp, EVERY time you launch afterburner.
I highly suggest to NEVER put afterburner as 'boot with windows' also, as I have had bad experiences with that, as have others.

Good luck, you are going to need it.
:(

post edited by Dave3d - 2018/02/09 12:38:26

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
dannymar
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/02/10 19:53:00 (permalink)
Sounds  like either the MB or the PSU or maybe both are bad... I mean they will work...but once you put some hard work on them ( games,  folding @home, etc)  the MB will short or your PSU will deliver dirty current.... change both...and see what happens.
AytrusTekis
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/02/16 15:16:24 (permalink)
So I just received confirmation that EVGA is sending me a GTX 1080 FTW2 as my RMA replacement. I did not have to fight or argue with anyone, just the two times I called as noted previously, and it seems like they listened and pulled through for me. I choose to believe that they listened rather than there being a shortage of kingpin cards due to card shortages. In which case EVGA gets full points from me and I am very happy.

Going to cross my fingers that the 1080 goes in with no issues, but seeing as how the 980 Kingpin has been shown to have the same (or very similar) issues with so many people in these forums, and my older EVGA 970 works flawlessly, I feel reasonably safe about the new card and that the issues were solely with the 980 Kingpin.

For what its worth, I suspect the 980 Kingpin IS a good card, as long as you are willing to invest in putting an exotic cooling system on it (either Water or Liquid Nitrogen). That is just something I was not expecting to need or ready to do.

Best of luck to anyone else who encounters issues with this card model! Hopefully adding my experiences to the forum further help those who may need.
evgapcbuilds
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/02/17 16:13:12 (permalink)
Pretty bad luck there.
Chambar
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2018/05/14 09:13:39 (permalink)
Me too my second card kingpin is dead, after nine months, I had never spent GPU in RMA before, no maltriatance and a super aggressive ventilation profile, all this for a few games ...

This is really not a reliable card for wise use, I would take more basic and more reliable cards in the future 

I even have the brand new waterblock never ride....
MaloyDkc
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2019/03/25 10:47:56 (permalink)

Hello everyone, I have a similar problem or the same, I do not have very good English. I have a 980 ti evga kingpin and I stopped sending video signal from the beginning, the card does not send for any output, but it starts up, the old graphics card works without problems. Do you know where I could send my card to repair? unfortunately the guarantee is exhausted. I do not know what to do I'm desperate and the card has little time. Thank you,
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Evga Gtx 980 ti Kingpin is dead (As of today 4th card failed) 2019/03/25 11:23:30 (permalink)
MaloyDkc

Hello everyone, I have a similar problem or the same, I do not have very good English. I have a 980 ti evga kingpin and I stopped sending video signal from the beginning, the card does not send for any output, but it starts up, the old graphics card works without problems. Do you know where I could send my card to repair? unfortunately the guarantee is exhausted. I do not know what to do I'm desperate and the card has little time. Thank you,

Best advice I could give you wolud be to look for someone in your area who has experience in repairing video cards.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile