AnsweredExtra Molex Cables

Author
Matorzinho
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/22 00:34:22 (permalink)
Hi there,

I have bought the Supernova 1200 P2. I am using it to power MB, CPU, SSD and 4 GPU's.

Problem is, I plan to add 2 more GPU's to this setup and the PSU only came with two Perif cables:

-One of the Perif cables has 2 Molex connection and another smaller one that I don't know
-The other Perif cable has 3 Molex connections

I use the molex connections to power PCI Risers

My questions are:

1- As I need one more Molex connection to power 6 GPU's, can I buy a molex cable for my PSU separately? I just need that single cable and could not find it on the EVGA website.

2- Is it safe to use the Perif cable with 3 Molex connections to power 3GPU's? Or should I use it to power only two for safety reasons?

3- I have SATA to molex adapters(not from EVGA), but I am refraining from using those as I have heard they can be a fire hazard. Is that true?
post edited by Matorzinho - 2017/07/22 00:46:07
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: Extra Molex Cables 2017/07/22 06:50:57 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Matorzinho 2017/07/23 02:29:59
Welcome to the forums.

You can Contact EVGA about getting the individual cables you need.

You can also go to CableMod (use the CableMod Configurator) and get individual cables (and cable sets) in various colors and sleeving for your 1200W P2 unit..At CableMod you can get Dual 6+2 pin, Dual 8 pin, Dual 6 pin, 8+6 pin, and other PCIe cable arrangements which could allow you to connect up to six graphics cards using the VGA1 - VGA6 outputs of your PSU, i.e one graphics card per each VGA output.

I would definitely get the proper individual cables rather than monkeying around with adapters.

Make sure that a 1200W unit is enough to power all what you want..You can use the Outervision PSU Calculator to estimate your system wattage requirement..You can also use the EVGA Power Meter where you will recieve a 10% discount code in your email that's good for 30 days toward the purchase of any EVGA PSU from the EVGA Store in the US.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Goobers
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Extra Molex Cables 2017/07/22 14:47:38 (permalink)
MatorzinhoI use the molex connections to power PCI Risers

Ah... I thought the molex was direct to GPUs... I was like... there's a GPU that still uses molex?!?

I'm fairly certain using SATA to molex is less fire hazard than the rest of your PC at that point. Same with 3 or 2 per perif cable. I don't expect riser cables to actually need too much power, so using 3 on a single perif cable should be fine.
Matorzinho
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Extra Molex Cables 2017/07/23 02:42:12 (permalink)
bob16314
Welcome to the forums.

You can about getting the individual cables you need.

You can also go to (use the CableMod Configurator) and get individual cables (and cable sets) in various colors and sleeving for your 1200W P2 unit..At CableMod you can get Dual 6+2 pin, Dual 8 pin, Dual 6 pin, 8+6 pin, and other PCIe cable arrangements which could allow you to connect up to six graphics cards using the VGA1 - VGA6 outputs of your PSU, i.e one graphics card per each VGA output.

I would definitely get the proper individual cables rather than monkeying around with adapters.

Make sure that a 1200W unit is enough to power all what you want..You can use the to estimate your system wattage requirement..You can also use the where you will recieve a 10% discount code in your email that's good for 30 days toward the purchase of any EVGA PSU from the EVGA Store in the US.

Thank you so much! I did not know about this CableMod website, I already used it to create a custom cable that will suit my needs!!!

I am also ordering a molex to molex cable extension (didn't even know they existed), because with the EVGA cable I have, the GPU's get really close to each other, thus overheating.

I used the EVGA Power Meter and it suggested me 850W PSU's so I am probably consuming somewhere around 750-800W atm. I increased the amount of GPUs to 6 on the calculator and I was suggested the 1200P2 PSU(which is the one that I have), so I should be good to go :)

Goobers
MatorzinhoI use the molex connections to power PCI Risers

Ah... I thought the molex was direct to GPUs... I was like... there's a GPU that still uses molex?!?

I'm fairly certain using SATA to molex is less fire hazard than the rest of your PC at that point. Same with 3 or 2 per perif cable. I don't expect riser cables to actually need too much power, so using 3 on a single perif cable should be fine.

Yea, I realised I forgot to mention I was using risers and then edited the post haha.

I don't know... Those adapters are frowned upon in the mining community... I have seen pictures and this fire hazard talk freaks me out haha.

I agree with you, using 3 on a single perif cable should be fine. Its a shame the GPUs would be really close together though. I will just buy a new 2 Molex cable to separate them out a bit :)

post edited by Matorzinho - 2017/07/23 02:45:44
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile