Intu-Samsung Gear VR

Author
Pastulio
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/21 06:16:20 (permalink)
I've been at it for hours now, and with no luck and no where else to turn ... 
on the plus side, here's a new one -- maybe;
Anyone ever hear of this "Gear V.R."? Apparently it's a device that enables you to connect your smartphone to create an affordable version of an OculusRift or something.
Anyway,
I just got myself my very first cellular-phone, a Samsung Galaxy S8+, ever. Included with it was one of these Gear V.R.'s ... initially I was going to toss it, considering it seemed more of a gimmick promotion than a legitimate piece of hardware. However, upon researching, apparently there's an application called, "Intugame Gear VR" which allows you to stream your computer games to your phone/headset for VirtualReality Gaming.
At the moment, I am just trying to run (2016) 'DOOM' ...
*Everything's working.
By that, I mean ... The device is all connected and recognizing, and the computer is sending the ... whatever... I can see the game just fine on my computer and when I put on the headset, there it is... .... but ... it's one solid image, instead of the simulated-3D 2D-image split (or whatever it's called)...
Out of my left eye I can see the left half of the screen and a fraction of the middle, out of my right eye I can see the right half of the screen and a fraction of the middle.
How the hell can I get this infernal contraption to function with the 3D-ness that it's supposed to? ...
as in ... left eye sees same image as right eye / vice-versa ... at least, I think that's how simulated(*)3D functions.
Help?

*EDIT*
A little better detail: when first booting the application and putting on the headset,
out of my left eye, I can see: " WARNING
                                               This application may not wo
                                               Services, please enable this
                                                             Cancel                "
out of my right eye, I can see: " t enabling Google VR
                                              before continuing.
                                                            Go to Settings      "
an error box which I can make disappear by tapping any button on the headset itself -- behind which (in view) is my desktop.
*Hope this helps*

Anyone familiar / had related issue?
Thanks.
post edited by Pastulio - 2017/07/21 06:27:06

5 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Intu-Samsung Gear VR 2017/07/21 06:24:09 (permalink)
    Moving this to General Hardware

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Pastulio
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Intu-Samsung Gear VR 2017/07/21 17:03:54 (permalink)
    So, I've been fiddling around with it a bit more and realized that if I keep my hand over the sensor (where my face would be), I can view the phones image display without having to actually close it into the GearVR ... this being said, it is a Stereoscopic-3D image of my computer monitor -- so, that's not the problem*.
    However, I still am experiencing the same issue with it, and no matter how much I physically adjust the knob on the headset itself, or attempt to configure technical aspects in the settings (on the computer end) of the software--to no avail--it still just does not want to "line-up" ...
    I even have attempted dropping the $9.95 for the "premium" edition -- assuming at the very least it would offer user-interface functionality for me to tinker with configurations/settings ... *no* .... ... thankfully, it appears I can get a refund and continue using the "free"(*) version. 
    of course, I still can't for the life of me figure out how to get it working correctly...    
    Pastulio
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Intu-Samsung Gear VR 2017/07/21 23:14:29 (permalink)
    Success.
    Not really ... but, at least I've made progress.
    I've since given up on attempting to use the aforementioned -- not that it isn't good. I was able to notice result, just nothing that was considered use-able (tolerable); I presume there will be updates for it to accommodate more models as they become more modern.
    So, for all those interested in how I've since remedied my efforts,
    http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3346231/play-games-samsung-gear.html <-Check it out.
    I am now using my computer in it's entirety as a "Virtual Desktop"
    ... and I gotta say ... I am enthused.    : )

Obviously, it doesn't compare to what I've seen from the "Vive" (which I had never even heard of until just recently) -- but for something that *technically* was free for me (just the cost of my phone) ... I'm diggin' it, a lot.
    So far, I've been browsing the web, watching content via my server (which I can't do utilizing 'Oculus Browser'), and only demo'd a few FirstPersonShooter video games as of yet (DOOM / KillingFloor2) ... ... but, it is a nice new approach / breath of fresh-air to revisit content I enjoy, from a different perspective.

-Best of Luck 2 Others-

*Only thing I have to tinker around is getting my GamePad to function* ... but for the present, a keyboard+mouse are more than adequate.
    Zeyan_
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Intu-Samsung Gear VR 2017/07/29 01:23:10 (permalink)
    Never heard of it, but it seems cool, imma check it out
    Talonman
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7452
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re: Intu-Samsung Gear VR 2017/07/29 02:47:51 (permalink)
    I also have a Samsung Galaxy S8+
    When I bought my phone, the special was over and I did not get a free Gear V.R.
    I was thinking of picking one up. Great post. Keep us updated on how you like it with even more time in VR world.  

Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 / i7-7700K / Windows 10 Pro / EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 Elite GPU / 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3200MHz / EVGA Super Nova 850 G3 80 Plus Gold Modular PSU / Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 in Red / (1) Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Internal SSD 500GB for OS (2) Samsung 850 EVO 1TB in RAID-0 for games / (1) Western Digital Black 7200 RPM 3TB Hard Drive for system backups - EVGA CLC 280 CPU Cooler. (EVGA affiliate code SKLZ84OQ2M)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile