ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mike406
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 904
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/06 23:16:01 (permalink)
I have the ViewSonic, same panel as the Asus and Acer.  I've generally had good luck with ViewSonic in the past (used to buy their CRTs back in the day) and find their customer support to be decent.  The QC issue is definitely real, as my panel is not perfect I have two very small dead pixels in the lower left but have learned to live with it.  The panel supplier, AU Optronics is really to blame here for the widespread dead pixel issues.

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/07 21:59:50 (permalink)

Hmm. Well I received the replacement PG279Q, manufacture date March 2017. No dead pixels this time, a little bit of back light bleed in the lower right corner but not really enough to send it back for, although quite a bit of IPS glow (depending on the angle I view the monitor from). Generally pretty good in that regard, however I have spent several hours now adjusting settings and it doesn't matter what I do, the entire display looks like I'm viewing it through a very faint fog.. that's the best I can explain it. It just isn't crisp and the colors are a little washed out, no matter how much I increase brightness, saturation, contrast, or individually tweak RGB, it persists. Looking at some very high def images they just look flat and lifeless. It's nice to play BF1 with certainly, but for a $750 monitor it should be better than this. My existing PB278Q has significantly better color and that is IPS, just 60Hz instead of 144Hz. I'm thinking I'm going to return this PG279Q for a refund, I don't want to waste any more time on a 3rd attempt, and since the Acer Predator has the same panel, I'll give that a miss too. I might try the Dell S2716DG ManiacVV mentioned earlier - cheaper to use for a year or two until panel quality improves, or heck, I might just stick with my PB278Q and not play BF1 and stick to Civ V & VI instead lol....

I'll sleep on it (not literally lol) and do a side-by-side comparison again in the morning and decide one way or the other for sure.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/08 16:12:12 (permalink)

Update: I set the monitors up side-by-side and my old PB278Q had a much MUCH better picture - more vibrant, sharper, more depth.. no matter what I tried with the PG279Q settings I couldn't even get it close to the PB278Q. Then I watched a movie on the PG279Q which happened to be mostly darker night scenes, and noticed more BLB in small patches on the left side of the screen - it just looked like I was viewing a sub-standard cheap monitor, certainly not something worth $750, more like $100, if that.

Certainly makes me appreciate my PB278Q more lol! The only thing that was better with the PG279Q was playing BF1 - the higher 144Hz rate was a significant improvement, but overall the PG279Q was a fail.

Amazon are giving a full refund, plus covering all shipping costs including UPS pick up, which is awesome. I will have a look on Tuesday to see if there are any deals (Amazon Prime Day), but for now I may just stick with the PB278Q until QC and monitor manufacturing standards improve, or a better tech comes out.

Very disappointed.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/10 08:16:16 (permalink)
Nereus

Update: I set the monitors up side-by-side and my old PB278Q had a much MUCH better picture - more vibrant, sharper, more depth.. no matter what I tried with the PG279Q settings I couldn't even get it close to the PB278Q. Then I watched a movie on the PG279Q which happened to be mostly darker night scenes, and noticed more BLB in small patches on the left side of the screen - it just looked like I was viewing a sub-standard cheap monitor, certainly not something worth $750, more like $100, if that.

Certainly makes me appreciate my PB278Q more lol! The only thing that was better with the PG279Q was playing BF1 - the higher 144Hz rate was a significant improvement, but overall the PG279Q was a fail.

Amazon are giving a full refund, plus covering all shipping costs including UPS pick up, which is awesome. I will have a look on Tuesday to see if there are any deals (Amazon Prime Day), but for now I may just stick with the PB278Q until QC and monitor manufacturing standards improve, or a better tech comes out.

Very disappointed.

Sorry to hear all this.  Looks like I'll be staying with my PG278Q for awhile since it seems quality is going downhill instead of up...

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/10 09:18:55 (permalink)
bdary
Nereus

Very disappointed.

Sorry to hear all this.  Looks like I'll be staying with my PG278Q for awhile since it seems quality is going downhill instead of up...

Yeah I'd recommend staying put - seems these issues with IPS panels aren't just specific to ASUS either.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/11 10:43:26 (permalink)
Sorry to hear the PG279Q didn't work out for you.
redleader00
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 906
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/11 11:33:08 (permalink)
I have the PG279Q and I have no problem with it now and I'm very happy. Long story short, before I got my current unit I had to send back 4 previous units that had several kinds of problems including too much back light bleed, yellowish tone on all colors and faulty firmware.
So, if you buy a PG279Q (or the Acer version) online, or any place where you can't test what you buy before you bring it home, expect to replace it several times before you get a good sample you can keep.

post edited by redleader00 - 2017/07/11 11:36:24

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/07/11 11:50:07 (permalink)
redleader00
I have the PG279Q and I have no problem with it now and I'm very happy. Long story short, before I got my current unit I had to send back 4 previous units that had several kinds of problems including too much back light bleed, yellowish tone on all colors and faulty firmware.
So, if you buy a PG279Q (or the Acer version) online, or any place where you can't test what you buy before you bring it home, expect to replace it several times before you get a good sample you can keep.

Ouch, yes I saw some reviews on Amazon that were up to their 4th attempt and still trying. Gratz on finally getting a good one! I've requested a refund after the 2nd though - if it takes 4 returns to get a good one, I'm a little worried about what else might be wrong with it, particularly down the line a few months. I appreciate my PB278Q a whole lot more now, lol.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/22 04:45:47 (permalink)

Just sent payment for a used ASUS PG278Q via EVGA marketplace.  :)    ..yes TN I know. :)

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/22 07:59:18 (permalink)

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/25 16:08:12 (permalink)

Received PG278Q, in great condition, zero dead pixels, BF1 is awesome on this! Many people say the TN panels looks washed out compared to IPS, but I have to mention that the second PG279Q I returned to Amazon in particular was much much worse than this PG278Q in terms of looking washed out, and furthermore this PG278Q is not much different (once settings tweaked) than my existing PB278Q IPS monitor - it's really only the matte finish on the TN panel that makes it 'pop' a little less. It is shocking how bad the current IPS panels are in terms of quality.

VasekBk
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/25 18:05:14 (permalink)
Hi guys... Just want to add some info to this topic...
Well Ive built a new rig, after being forced to live with Mac for 3yrs (it wasn't that much bad), well 1080ti and here it comes, 4K is pointless on the 27inch, so it should be 1440p with 144hz...
Went trough 6 predators - all had BLB (ips glow doesn't worry me as long as I sit in the center of the screen and don't see it), one had misaligned panel, one developed fuzzy text which kinda burned into the panel (same as old plasmas )... yeah weird. So currently Im on my 6th one and deciding if its a keeper... 
About the tn panel - I Don't know which panel uses PG278Q, but Ive had Dell s2716dg (144hz TN) and it had horrible banding, overwatch/sky in witcher and generally all darker scenes in games looked horrible... Ive did a little research and found out its something in the way of dithering via Nvidia card (basically Nvidia doesn't do dithering, thats why we are able to see a lot of banding on tn panels)...
Well my question is, Nereus, you didn't spot any banding issues in games? I spot it almost instantly...
And now Im just deciding if I should pay 100usd more to get PG279, or keep the predator... or try another predator... its kinda annoying...
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/25 18:45:42 (permalink)
VasekBk
Well Ive built a new rig, after being forced to live with Mac for 3yrs (it wasn't that much bad), well 1080ti and here it comes, 4K is pointless on the 27inch, so it should be 1440p with 144hz...
Went trough 6 predators - all had BLB (ips glow doesn't worry me as long as I sit in the center of the screen and don't see it), one had misaligned panel, one developed fuzzy text which kinda burned into the panel (same as old plasmas )... yeah weird. So currently Im on my 6th one and deciding if its a keeper... 
About the tn panel - I Don't know which panel uses PG278Q, but Ive had Dell s2716dg (144hz TN) and it had horrible banding, overwatch/sky in witcher and generally all darker scenes in games looked horrible... Ive did a little research and found out its something in the way of dithering via Nvidia card (basically Nvidia doesn't do dithering, thats why we are able to see a lot of banding on tn panels)...
Well my question is, Nereus, you didn't spot any banding issues in games? I spot it almost instantly...
And now Im just deciding if I should pay 100usd more to get PG279, or keep the predator... or try another predator... its kinda annoying...

I agree 4K is a bit much for 27", whereas 1440p with 144Hz seems to be the sweet spot, at least for now, particularly for text.

The PG279Q and the Acer Predator use the same panel supplier apparently, so you're likely to continue playing the panel lottery whichever one you try, unfortunately, but maybe you'll get lucky. I suspect it's got to the stage now where some retailers are spending a lot of the time just cycling out returned monitors as new in the hope someone accepts them as is. Having to repeatedly return $799 monitors for poor quality control is simply not acceptable, but I expect this will continue until new tech comes out or ASUS and Acer get a new supplier - more likely new tech will come first though, imho.

The PG278Q and Dell S2716DG are almost identical in specs, although I'm unsure if the panels come from the same supplier. I believe with the Dell S2716DG the issues depend on the revision number, which can be found at the end of the serial number.. there were banding and other issues with revisions -A01 and -A02, but apparently that was improved in revision -A03 and much improved in revision -A04, although there's always going to be exceptions. I almost purchased a BNIB Dell from EBay but then the PG278Q turned up on EVGA marketplace so I scored that instead (I am very wary of anything through EBay btw). Banding does not appear to be an issue with this PG278Q at all, in games (Battlefield 1 mostly) I haven't noticed any banding whatsoever, and if you have a look at this gradient (banding) test [link], the transition is smooth when viewed on my PG278Q, with perhaps only the slightest indication of a single 'bar' of banding right near the darkest end of the spectrum, but that may just be me trying too hard to find something wrong lol, every other part of that test is a completely smooth transition. A bit of fiddling with the inbuilt Windows gamma display calibration may help with banding (under control panel > color management > advanced tab > calibrate display) so try that.

I'm not the bearer of good news for you re Predator vs PG279Q panels, sorry.

post edited by Nereus - 2017/08/25 18:50:29

VasekBk
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/25 18:58:51 (permalink)
Nereus
VasekBk

I agree 4K is a bit much for 27", whereas 1440p with 144Hz seems to be the sweet spot, at least for now, particularly for text.

The PG279Q and the Acer Predator use the same panel supplier apparently, so you're likely to continue playing the panel lottery whichever one you try, unfortunately, but maybe you'll get lucky. I suspect it's got to the stage now where some retailers are spending a lot of the time just cycling out returned monitors as new in the hope someone accepts them as is. Having to repeatedly return $799 monitors for poor quality control is simply not acceptable, but I expect this will continue until new tech comes out or ASUS and Acer get a new supplier - more likely new tech will come first though, imho.

The PG278Q and Dell S2716DG are almost identical in specs, although I'm unsure if the panels come from the same supplier. I believe with the Dell S2716DG the issues depend on the revision number, which can be found at the end of the serial number.. there were banding and other issues with revisions -A01 and -A02, but apparently that was improved in revision -A03 and much improved in revision -A04, although there's always going to be exceptions. I almost purchased a BNIB Dell from EBay but then the PG278Q turned up on EVGA marketplace so I scored that instead (I am very wary of anything through EBay btw). Banding does not appear to be an issue with this PG278Q at all, in games (Battlefield 1 mostly) I haven't notice any banding whatsoever, and if you have a look at this gradient (banding) test [], the transition is smooth when viewed on my PG278Q. A bit of fiddling with the inbuilt Windows gamma display calibration may help with banding (under control panel > color management > advanced tab > calibrate display) so try that.

I'm not the bearer of good news for you re Predator vs PG279Q panels, sorry.

Yeah but it all depends on luck, well in my country... incl tax - predator costs about 920usd... so yeah Im bit outraged now :D
Im posting few pics - two of BLB on my current predator, and another is banding at Dell tn panel - I corrected the gamma then as u said, even colors a little bit. 

So your PG278Q doesn't show banding like this? At the gradient test, I could pass with slight hiccups... when I had that dell...
Anyway, what is your opinion on that BLB? its not disturbing at all in normal gaming, only when in some dark areas... particularly in witcher:( 
Edit:
post edited by VasekBk - 2017/08/25 19:02:53

Attached Image(s)

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/25 19:32:38 (permalink)

Ouch, no my PG278Q has nothing even remotely like that banding you have in IMG_0127.JPG, wow that's pretty bad...

The BLB on your Predator isn't anywhere near as bad as PG279Q screens I had [link], but yeah it always seems to be the lower right hand corner that is the worst in most cases I've seen. I tried to watch a movie that was mostly night scenes on my 2nd return and it just sucked.. no way was the monitor worth the price when it looked like that, although it was ok gaming. I've certainly seen much worse than yours, but in my mind for $799 (or $920 for you) I would be very hesitant to accept it even at that level. I gave up in the end and went for the TN instead. Having said that, I have a PB278Q which is pretty much perfect with no BLB, no dead pixels, and no noticeable IPS glow.. if only that monitor was 144Hz and not 60Hz!

post edited by Nereus - 2017/08/25 19:37:12

VasekBk
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/26 04:40:05 (permalink)
Nereus

Ouch, no my PG278Q has nothing even remotely like that banding you have in IMG_0127.JPG, wow that's pretty bad...

The BLB on your Predator isn't anywhere near as bad as PG279Q screens I had [], but yeah it always seems to be the lower right hand corner that is the worst in most cases I've seen. I tried to watch a movie that was mostly night scenes on my 2nd return and it just sucked.. no way was the monitor worth the price when it looked like that, although it was ok gaming. I've certainly seen much worse than yours, but in my mind for $799 (or $920 for you) I would be very hesitant to accept it even at that level. I gave up in the end and went for the TN instead. Having said that, I have a PB278Q which is pretty much perfect with no BLB, no dead pixels, and no noticeable IPS glow.. if only that monitor was 144Hz and not 60Hz!

Well to be honest, idk... in darker games, its pretty disturbing, especially at nights (and I play a lot at night even when Im 24yrs old :D)...
Anyway I see you have 980ti in your rig, maybe I will give the 278qr a try... btw did u try some darker games where you could see some banding ? Overwatch is kinda sensitive to banding issues... Im including pic how Dell looked in Bioshock (banding again)

Attached Image(s)

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/26 06:37:40 (permalink)
Nereus

Received PG278Q, in great condition, zero dead pixels, BF1 is awesome on this! Many people say the TN panels looks washed out compared to IPS, but I have to mention that the second PG279Q I returned to Amazon in particular was much much worse than this PG278Q in terms of looking washed out, and furthermore this PG278Q is not much different (once settings tweaked) than my existing PB278Q IPS monitor - it's really only the matte finish on the TN panel that makes it 'pop' a little less. It is shocking how bad the current IPS panels are in terms of quality.

Good to hear...

I calibrate mine with Color Monkey Display and I think it looks pretty darn good.  It's also run flawlessly for a few years now.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/26 16:47:16 (permalink)
VasekBk
Nereus

The BLB on your Predator isn't anywhere near as bad as PG279Q screens I had [], but yeah it always seems to be the lower right hand corner that is the worst in most cases I've seen. I tried to watch a movie that was mostly night scenes on my 2nd return and it just sucked.. no way was the monitor worth the price when it looked like that, although it was ok gaming. I've certainly seen much worse than yours, but in my mind for $799 (or $920 for you) I would be very hesitant to accept it even at that level. I gave up in the end and went for the TN instead. Having said that, I have a PB278Q which is pretty much perfect with no BLB, no dead pixels, and no noticeable IPS glow.. if only that monitor was 144Hz and not 60Hz!

Well to be honest, idk... in darker games, its pretty disturbing, especially at nights (and I play a lot at night even when Im 24yrs old :D)...
Anyway I see you have 980ti in your rig, maybe I will give the 278qr a try... btw did u try some darker games where you could see some banding ? Overwatch is kinda sensitive to banding issues... Im including pic how Dell looked in Bioshock (banding again)

Using a Titan X Pascal :)   I went to some dark areas in BF1 and still no banding issues, I don't have Overwatch though.

specialwrks
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/08/26 20:09:51 (permalink)
The Panel in my ASUS PG279Q seems to be flawless, no BLB and performing great 11 months in, and it came with a 4 year warranty as well (but I'm based in Asia)
prices have dropped recently here in HK as well
here's a piece put out by ASUS  confirming their QC stepping up in the US.
written by former-TechReporter Geoff Gasior
ng4ever2
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 250
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/10/29 22:28:43 (permalink)
specialwrks
The Panel in my ASUS PG279Q seems to be flawless, no BLB and performing great 11 months in, and it came with a 4 year warranty as well (but I'm based in Asia)
prices have dropped recently here in HK as well
here's a piece put out by ASUS  confirming their QC stepping up in the US.
written by former-TechReporter Geoff Gasior

Thanks for the updated info. I am still worried about buying a new monitor.
PietroBR
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1202
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/10/31 03:57:27 (permalink)
Saw this topic for the first time now.
And here I am, wishing to import one of those Monitors (Asus/Acer) to Brazil.
Don't know what to do now, since QC is just that bad for both companies.

Case: Asus Z370-G Box / MB: Asus Z370-G / CPU: Intel I7 8700K / Mem.: 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 / GPU: GTX 1080TI FTW3 / A.I.O. W.C: EVGA CLC280 / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

fergusonll
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1686
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/11/01 19:01:11 (permalink)
PietroBR

I got my PG279Q from BestBuy and as such would've been a 2 mile drive to return if I had to, not sure I would've attempted to get a good one having to import one.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/11/02 00:14:54 (permalink)
fergusonll
PietroBR

I got my PG279Q from BestBuy and as such would've been a 2 mile drive to return if I had to, not sure I would've attempted to get a good one having to import one.

Same. When it is not unusual to have to return some of these monitors 3 times before getting a decent one, the costs of shipping from Brazil to USA (or wherever) probably wouldn't be worth the risk. Is there a Brazil version of EBay - maybe try to pick a used one up locally? I ended up buying a used one from another EVGA forum member, and I've had no problems with it at all, so maybe check the EVGA marketplace too.

PietroBR
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1202
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/11/02 05:41:34 (permalink)
Nereus
fergusonll
PietroBR

Same. When it is not unusual to have to return some of these monitors 3 times before getting a decent one, the costs of shipping from Brazil to USA (or wherever) probably wouldn't be worth the risk. Is there a Brazil version of EBay - maybe try to pick a used one up locally? I ended up buying a used one from another EVGA forum member, and I've had no problems with it at all, so maybe check the EVGA marketplace too.

Maaan, taxes in Brazil are just insane 
Even if I import the monitor, it would be cheaper than buying locally here.

Case: Asus Z370-G Box / MB: Asus Z370-G / CPU: Intel I7 8700K / Mem.: 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 / GPU: GTX 1080TI FTW3 / A.I.O. W.C: EVGA CLC280 / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

muthj1
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2017/11/02 07:19:14 (permalink)
Ouch.
Brohem0th
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2018/01/30 18:14:19 (permalink)
The QC issues are three-fold; a lot of people return the panels so some legitimately do get sent back out without being taken out of circulation, these panels are finicky even when they're running perfectly and being shipped several thousand miles to you doesn't do anything to help that, plus some people buy several at a time and keep returning them to get a better monitor (or try to). Monitors aren't binned by consumers too often, but I'm sure it happens. Plus some people are just too picky.  

I'll be getting the Asus once my refund check comes in. Through Amazon. Here's hoping I get a good one. 
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2018/01/31 19:16:22 (permalink)
Brohem0th
The QC issues are three-fold; a lot of people return the panels so some legitimately do get sent back out without being taken out of circulation, these panels are finicky even when they're running perfectly and being shipped several thousand miles to you doesn't do anything to help that, plus some people buy several at a time and keep returning them to get a better monitor (or try to). Monitors aren't binned by consumers too often, but I'm sure it happens. Plus some people are just too picky.  

I'll be getting the Asus once my refund check comes in. Through Amazon. Here's hoping I get a good one. 

Good luck. I haven't heard much noise on the matter lately, so maybe ASUS have improved things on the QC front. Amazon is the way to go imho - they gave me no hassles whatsoever getting replacement twice and eventually requesting a refund. Full refund, no shipping fees, no 'restocking fee', no worries.

808sting
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2018/02/01 14:34:45 (permalink)
I went through 4 replacements with Amazon for my 2 PG279Q.  Finally got 2 that were the "best".  Minimal BLB, no pixel issues, and good qc.  The perfect LCD monitor for graphics, video, design, and gaming doesn't exist.  OLED still has issues.  Closest I've come is Eizo, but they don't make a G-Sync version.

You could look at the Eizo Foris FS2735.  Not perfect, but I liked it better than the Asus.  Acer tech support wouldn't give me the time of day on a pre-sales call.  Asus has been more responsive with me.  Wait a few more months and new monitors should be released.

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
Corsair 900D Case
Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
Asus & LG BD-RE
Corsair AX1600i PS
LG 38GL950B-G
_AlanT
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2018/05/17 17:23:58 (permalink)
Coworker said he had good luck with a used IPS from bhphoto so I took a shot on a PG279Q with a 8+ bhphoto rating... perfect condition except the beat up box, slight BLB on the left side, no biggie...dealbreaker was the coil whine! No idea monitors could coil whine in this day and age...I mainly game with headphones so I considered keeping it, but I watched a movie and couldn’t do it. Going to do a “cross-ship” with bhphoto, which just consists of buying another used (better rating this time) and Return RMAing the first one.... faintly considered the Acer but I’ve had a bad history with those types of menu buttons.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: ASUS PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU 2018/05/17 17:41:51 (permalink)
EVGATech_AlanT
Coworker said he had good luck with a used IPS from bhphoto so I took a shot on a PG279Q with a 8+ bhphoto rating... perfect condition except the beat up box, slight BLB on the left side, no biggie...dealbreaker was the coil whine! No idea monitors could coil whine in this day and age...I mainly game with headphones so I considered keeping it, but I watched a movie and couldn’t do it. Going to do a “cross-ship” with bhphoto, which just consists of buying another used (better rating this time) and Return RMAing the first one.... faintly considered the Acer but I’ve had a bad history with those types of menu buttons.

Wow coil whine on a monitor   ..who knew?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile