• Total Posts : 3184
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2017/06/26 14:44:50 (permalink)
$152,000,000 in funding.
On it's second game engine.
No release date in sight.
In development for 5 years.
Selling additional in-game content for years.

This scam is going to make Duke Nukem: Forever look like child's play. Are there any here that want to admit they contributed to this and want to tell us about how they feel now?

Actually any comments are fine. It's a very controversial topic.

10 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/06/26 16:35:58 (permalink)
    I never contributed to it, but I have a close friend that built an x99/5820k/2x980ti as fast as he could so he could play with the ships he had purchased.. he had over $1000 in ships... and here I thought the game died off... to me, anything "in development" shouldn't be sold... period. Find your testers and stay with them until it is ready.. Ark is another sham of a game, but I actually gave them enough money for me to buy the game.
    Jbj5000
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 125
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/06/26 18:18:30 (permalink)
    You should watch their weekly show called Around the verse, It shows that they are putting the money to good use and making a lot of progress behind the scenes. We saw nothing of fallout 4 for eight years and that wasn't a scam
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/06/28 03:48:18 (permalink)
    I haven't contributed anything to it. A guy here at work who's been trying to get me to play it since August '16 has contributed so much money to it, including his dad. They are both really into it. They've probably spent thousands on that game, every time a ship comes out or something they buy it. I remember he was like the next big patch will let you land on planets and some other stuff. That was supposed to happen December/January, never happened. I remember me telling him since he's been trying to get me to play that there wasn't enough content or places to fly around. I mean the game looks fantastic and would run great on my machine. But there has to be more to it. And I'm not gonna be spending a butt load of money on additional ships. Also IMO you can't compare Fallout 4 to Star Citizen, apples to oranges there on how the company is getting money from the player base. I too find it shady on the amount of money so far accrued and there isn't much content there to show. They talk about all this great stuff that they want to put in, which is great. But stop adding new ships for more $$, focus everything on getting the core of the game complete and more optimization. I feel they are dragging it out more than it needs to be just to sell more stuff. Case is I'm not spending any money until there is more content in the game.

Current RIG
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo black case
    CPU: Intel I9-13900K
    MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 5600
    PS: EVGA 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W
    SSD: Kingston KC3000 4TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe
    GPU: Nvidia 4090

Heatware: https://heatware.com/eval.php?id=100702

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/06/28 10:42:41 (permalink)
    They spend more time marketing it and adding ships to it than actually working on the core feature set. That says a lot considering what they've shown off lately. They've gotta know that dog piling on more ships works against them achieving release milestones, yet they keep on doing it.
    VooDooPC
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/06/29 06:43:28 (permalink)
    I think a large issue with the game is directly related to how much funding they've received and how much they are still receiving.

Let's say I want a house built for me. I tell the contractor my budget is $250,000. He makes some plans I agree to and starts building the house. Two months later I give him another $50,000 and tell him to make the house larger and better. A few months later I give him another $50,000 and tell him to make the house even bigger and even better. I do this every two months for five years, then I wonder why the house is never being finished.

As long as they keep getting funding and have to add content to appease the people giving them money, I don't see how the game can ever be finished.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/07/08 09:24:44 (permalink)
    I jumped in early on as I love that genre of game, and I have loved many Chris Roberts titles in the past.  I think at some level, VooDooPC hit the nail square on the head.
    Since I did participate a long time ago, I have permanent access to all of the releases as they come, and they have definitely made some serious headway, it plays well and looks great, and there are constant people in game in various sections, so for the people that have to have a ton of players to be happy with a game, this also has you covered, but when will it finally be out, who knows.  Again, I think VooDooPC is dead on with his guess.
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/07/09 04:07:50 (permalink)
    Anyone that followed Star Citizen will remember that they've redesigned the core engine multiple times. One of the devs mentioned they had to do that when adding EVA and FPS combat aspects to the game. It's a problem with long-term development games, the original engine falls behind or the graphics falls behind and they have to update a lot of the original work all over again. If they had focused purely on a starfighting sim that wouldn't have ever been a problem, but now the game has been in development for so long they are suffering from major feature creep and having to replace existing work that took many months.

Star Citizen is exactly the sort of game I love. But I never supported it as this is the result I worried about... Steam's early access game sales system has proven the odds are against these sorts of games from ever emerging out of beta into a launch release, let alone a successful one. I'll support the game by buying it after they get a finished product out the door. 

Have water, will cool. 
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/07/09 15:45:20 (permalink)
    Yeah, the feature creep is definitely what did it.  I am still hopeful, but cautiously hopeful, everything I have played has been really good, but it really needs to get closer to a real release, at least the single player campaign Squadron 42.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/07/11 11:20:11 (permalink)
    Have they done anything with first person mode or is it still on hold?
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Let's talk Star Citizen..... 2017/07/11 21:23:46 (permalink)
    I spent $80 years back, played the first or 2nd release, played a whole 5mins and never toughed it again, was pure garbage, even COD's were at least playable...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile