EVGA

Question Regarding Precision X Frame Target Option

Author
NacSquared
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/06/25 15:28:48 (permalink)
Hey all, just have a quick question regarding the frame target option, I've yet to see a definitive answer anywhere.

Does this option simply limit the frames the gpu will produce? Very much the same as an in-game frame cap? 

Or will it also be self-overclocking to achieve the frame 'target' if it can't reach it? 

Also I've noticed that when setting a 'frame target' at 144, my games are being limited to 134 fps. Not sure what's going on here. Any help?

Any explanations are appreciated!
post edited by NacSquared - 2017/06/25 15:51:40

4 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Question Regarding Precision X Frame Target Option 2017/06/25 15:56:21 (permalink)
    Hello,

FPS target is a frame limiter. It is useful for games that do not have an ingame FPS limiter and wanting to keep V-Sync off.

NacSquared
    Re: Question Regarding Precision X Frame Target Option 2017/06/25 17:24:23 (permalink)
    Right, so I have a GSync monitor so I'm not worried about going over FPS for screen tearing, more just conserving energy and heat. So it's beneficial in this regard, correct?
    schulmaster
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 541
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Question Regarding Precision X Frame Target Option 2017/06/27 14:54:47 (permalink)
    NacSquared
    Right, so I have a GSync monitor so I'm not worried about going over FPS for screen tearing, more just conserving energy and heat. So it's beneficial in this regard, correct?

It's still relevant for you as a GSync user, since if you produce more frames than your monitor can display per second, you get all the latency of VSync, or if you have your surplus framerate behavior set to vsync off, you get the tearing you payed so much to avoid.
    To delve into your first question, the GPU actually has no role in the FrameLimit functionality, it is entirely the driver and CPU.  The driver determines how long the last frame(or frames)took to produce, and suspends prerender of a new frame for an inverse amount of time if the frametimes are lower than what your target called for. If the frames start taking too long, the sleep interval will be mitigated or removed until minimal frametimes return. This is why these framelimits, even in the driver, are denoted by ~VALUE. It is an estimate. During some sample windows, the framerate will be above your target, if demand sharply decreases, or the driver might over sleep and miss a frametarget it might otherwise have made in the opposite case.
        Going back to your gsync situtation, you want to under Frametarget your monitors refresh rate, so the monitor is increasingly likely to always be ready for a frame the instant it has been rendered out. It may be easy to think, 'if I'm getting 155FPS against my gsync monitor, and I just vsync it to 144, or I frame target it to 144, the end result will be 144, so who cares?' 
    Not exactly. In the frame target case, the excess time is consumed at the beginning of the pipe, so you may be getting 144FPS out the end, but your mouse movements are ignored during the prerender suspension, and then when prerender does happen, your MOST RECENT input is captured, and you see it in 1/144th of a second, the best lag that framerate can offer. In the Vsync case, you capture mouse input, render your frame reflecting that input, and then oh wait, you have to wait for the monitor to finish scanning, then the results of your input are displayed. The time in the vsync case is consumed at the end of the pipe, and there's your input lag. 
    blurbusters has some empirical numbers on this behavior, and a frame target of 138-141 minimizes input lag on gsync 144Hz displays; due to the estimation misses of the framerate limiter, a limit of 144 or 143 is insufficient.

TLDR: FramerateLimit is an estimate. GPU driver will try and have this number be a reality if you have the ability for a higher framerate than the target, but it cannot predict the future. Framerate Limit is invaluable for those who are sensitive to input lag, even GSync users, with high performance parts and/or 60Hz panels. FrameLimit will have no effect if you cannot reach the limit in the current demand context. No up clocking or downclocking are cause by the limiter directly, only load balancing using sleep as a counter measure to excess performance.

SM

post edited by schulmaster - 2017/06/27 14:58:24

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
    Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
    CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
    RAM:
    64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
    GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
    Display:
    27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
    Storage:
    2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
    2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
    4TB WD Enterprise 
    1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
    SPU: Creative AE7 
    PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
    NacSquared
    Re: Question Regarding Precision X Frame Target Option 2017/06/29 23:11:40 (permalink)
    Schulmaster,

Thank you dearly for the in-depth, researched reply! I really appreciate it.

Going on with this topic. Ive started to use the frame rate target on a few games and ive noticed something weird... When I set the frame rate to 144, my games always cap out at 134fps, 10 below what I’ve set it to. I tried setting it to 141 and my games capped at 132fps.

Any idea what’s going on here?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile