X299 Motherboard Options

Author
mpoffo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 625
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2017/06/23 10:28:11 (permalink)
So I have a 7900x on its way from Newegg to be delivered next Tuesday.  Unfortunately I am still trying to figure out my motherboard options.  Like many here I was hoping to see something from EVGA soon on prices etc.  On top of that many motherboard reviews/comparisons have been lacking in information or availability.  Perhaps all due to the rushed launch.

I want a decent board that overclocks well and has some bells and whistles.  I may not fill all the M.2 slots right away but I like the option to add them.  I run currently 1080's in 2 way SLI and a sound card.  Here are my current motherboard options I am thinking about:

1.  EVGA - To be honest neither board aesthetically appeals to me.  The Dark is nice but I like a little bit of RGB on the board.  :)  That being said it is high on the list since I like its features and of course like the support from EVGA.  I would certainly consider the FTW also but I don't like their implementation of RGB.  The board has the right features but I am not wild about the design of the LED area.

2.  Gigabyte - The Aorus Gaming 7 is a contender.  I like the overall look to the board and it has the features I care about.  Some will say the RGB is overboard.  But I think it is done tastefully and I can easily disable the areas I don't want it.  From the reviews I have seen the Aorus 3 at least seems to be a solid overclocker.  I don't like where that one m.2 slot is under the primary graphics card.  I am seriously considering this option.  Not sure how good there customer support is or their overall reputation.

3.  Asus - my current board is my Rampage 4 extreme (x79).  I have no complaints about it and it works well.  I am considering the Asus Strix and possibly the new Rampage (if I can sell a kidney).  I like the over all feel and look of these boards.  The boards again have the features sets I like. I have heard mixed things on customer support.

So I know people have different preferences with the motherboards they want.  Any thoughts on these questions?:
1.  Is EVGA worth the wait?  Should I just hold out until we see what they offer?  I know they had issues with the x79 line.  From what I have read the x99 line was solid.
2. Between Asus and Gigabyte, who is better overall in design and customer service?
3.  I have been trying to price some DDR4 memory but have not found any QVL lists anywhere for ASUS or Gigabyte (EVGA as well).  I am looking for a solid 32gb quad channel set (4 x 8GB).  something in the $300 range give or take $50.  Prefer black, possibly RGB.  Any recommendations for speed?

Thanks Sorry for the long post.  :)

post edited by mpoffo - 2017/06/23 11:01:10

X299 System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x (4.4 GHz)| ASUS Rampage VI 
Extreme | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 
Corsair 900D | Corsair AX 1200i PSU | Corsair H115i Elite Capellix (in Push/Pull) | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra & 1080 8 GB
Samsung 870 PRO 2 TB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive 
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup | LG Blu-ray burner | Corsair AF 120 and 140 Fans
Acer x34 Predator (G-Sync) | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster PX2370  

28 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/23 13:03:28 (permalink)
    I would wait for EVGA

If you ever need customer support /warranty ---> EVGA is the only way to go

New chipset & CPU = new adapters become beta testers for the BIOS updates

If OC your build look for 3200 DDR4 with tight timing - I like the value in G.Skill RAM

You're making an investment; try not to make any decisions in a rush - be patient it will pay dividends

You may also want to consider a new PSU if your current one is long in the tooth - quality is important for stability

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Iamrogue
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 235
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/23 13:15:17 (permalink)
    from my point of view I am orientated towards ftw-k for two reasons. 1st - its evga and i realy like how the board looks and the PCIE placement is just right for me. 2nd, more important it has two u.2. I am fan of Intel SSDs and I have a pair or 750 series and z P3520 1.2TB for storage. For system drive i will for sure use 960 pro as it is a bit faster. This makes ftw-k perfect for me. this also eliminates rampage apex, definitly strix.
    Since I know rampages will not me available at launch and we will have to wait for it quite some time this leaves me with hope for evga and what is currently available. MSI and GB isnt just by style and i do not consider it at all.

By the way of elimination, considering that evga didnt even bother to give any statement regarding this important for us subject I will be getting asus prime deluxe first thing next week.
    It has 8 dimms, u.2, m.2 and a wifi. Looks isnt as good as ftw-k but who cares, while I am using my computer I do not look at it only on the screen before me...

asus also as a biggest manufacturer of this kind of solutions makes me less woried about compatibility issues.

These are my thoughts in this subject

thank you

7980XE @ 4,98GHz | 32GB @ 4294 CL17/17/17/37 | X299 DARK | 2xRTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz | 2,5TB NVMe(intel) | 1600W T2 

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8483122

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20405972
    mpoffo
    SSC Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/23 14:25:23 (permalink)
    Thanks to both of you, I certainly appreciate your thoughts.  Cool GTX can you clarify the timings on the memory that are tight enough?  :)

X299 System:
    Corsair 900D | Corsair AX 1200i PSU | Corsair H115i Elite Capellix (in Push/Pull) | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra & 1080 8 GB
    Samsung 870 PRO 2 TB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive 
    Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup | LG Blu-ray burner | Corsair AF 120 and 140 Fans

ScorPion359
    • Total Posts : 92
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/23 15:25:48 (permalink)
    I have a lot of devices from asus - motherboard X99-Deluxe (it does not work well), video card GTX 1080 Ti poseidon - returned, because could not register and other devices.
    Asus service is very bad, dosn't have qualified personnel and very long answers, problems are not solved!

That's why I want to buy a EVGA motherboard (I already bought a GTX 1080 FTW and power supply SuperNova 1000 G2), but I don't like that the ego always delays the release of its products!
    But EVGA always restrains its products and it upsets me!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/23 17:14:35 (permalink)

mpoffo
    Thanks to both of you, I certainly appreciate your thoughts.  Cool GTX can you clarify the timings on the memory that are tight enough?  :)

I'll see what I can find on actual RAM Latency G.Skill RAM -----> second RAM would be faster --> (may only see it in benchmark testing though )

F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKO
    DDR4-3200 (PC4-25600)
    32GB (8GBx4)
    CL16-18-18-38
    1.35 Volt

F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    DDR4-3200 (PC4-25600)
    32GB (8GBx4)
    CL14-14-14-34
    1.35 Volt

14-14-14-34-2N is "tighter Timing" than say 15-15-15-35-2N --> so if both are the same frequency 3200, the first one is faster (less wasted clock / refresh cycles)

Basics would be the one with the smaller numbers is better/ faster & T1 is better than T2  (T or N is the same)

Should have also mentioned as far as qualified RAM --> ask the RAM Mfg if they have qualified any RAM for the MB you want, after checking their web site

Check this post, I have a link to a good RAM review  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2425809

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

tusharsingal
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/23 19:09:12 (permalink)
    EVGA is not worth the wait, because it'll never be coming out :(
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/24 04:32:25 (permalink)
    If you want a mobo with bells and whistles, you will have to look else where. EVGA is weak when it comes offering bells and whistles. One thing i have noticed, EVGA hides it's audio detailed specs, they don't list it on the "spec sheet", while other mfg (ASUS and GIGABYTE) advertise that information. The devil is indeed in the details.

I find motherboards to be the most reliable hardware. If they work like they should out of the box, most of the time you will be fine (that has been my experience for the past decade). That is why i go with a mobo that has all the bells and whistles (features and specs) i care about, over going with a mobo that doesn't, just because another company has better customer service.

I would recommend taking the time to educate yourself on all the bells and whistles each mfg offers before making a final decision. That way you can find out which bells and whistles are important to you. Check out what people are saying on other hardware forums (forums not tied to a mfg). 

I bet each x299 mobo designed more for overclocking with have about the same everyday overclock, not like you can tell a real world difference between 50-200mhz. Like always, some people will receive better silicon (CPU). What professional overclockers can do with cherry picked hardware and using LN2. it doesn't relate to the retail product we receive. They have modified hardware and bios the rest of us do not have access to. 

If you like buying your hardware from Amazon or Newegg, make sure it's sold and shipped by them and not a 3rd party. I would go with Amazon hands down, specially if you have Amazon PRIME  . If a product is DOA or is defective (within 30days), nothing like receiving a brand new one in 1-2days. I don't know of any mfg that can give you that kind of service.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/24 10:44:19 (permalink)
    G.SKILL Announces New DDR4 Specifications for Intel X299 HEDT Platform

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2686248

Much higher speeds DDR4-4200 - would wait for some reviews to come out to see the benefit/ dollars

mpoffo
    SSC Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/24 23:38:57 (permalink)
    MSim
    If you want a mobo with bells and whistles, you will have to look else where. EVGA is weak when it comes offering bells and whistles. One thing i have noticed, EVGA hides it's audio detailed specs, they don't list it on the "spec sheet", while other mfg (ASUS and GIGABYTE) advertise that information. The devil is indeed in the details.

I find motherboards to be the most reliable hardware. If they work like they should out of the box, most of the time you will be fine (that has been my experience for the past decade). That is why i go with a mobo that has all the bells and whistles (features and specs) i care about, over going with a mobo that doesn't, just because another company has better customer service.

I would recommend taking the time to educate yourself on all the bells and whistles each mfg offers before making a final decision. That way you can find out which bells and whistles are important to you. Check out what people are saying on other hardware forums (forums not tied to a mfg). 

I bet each x299 mobo designed more for overclocking with have about the same everyday overclock, not like you can tell a real world difference between 50-200mhz. Like always, some people will receive better silicon (CPU). What professional overclockers can do with cherry picked hardware and using LN2. it doesn't relate to the retail product we receive. They have modified hardware and bios the rest of us do not have access to. 

If you like buying your hardware from Amazon or Newegg, make sure it's sold and shipped by them and not a 3rd party. I would go with Amazon hands down, specially if you have Amazon PRIME  . If a product is DOA or is defective (within 30days), nothing like receiving a brand new one in 1-2days. I don't know of any mfg that can give you that kind of service.

Appreciate the advice.  From what I am seeing about every motherboard maker has had their ups and downs.  I was gonna get the gigabyte auros 7 but I think at this time I will wait.  I am curious as to the price points on the ASUS Rampage/APEX as well as EVGA's two boards.  I have roughly $800 to spend on the motherboard and ram together.  I can maybe squeak out another $100.  If the Rampage is $600 or less then I may grab that.  However if EVGA's boards are well priced I will have to give them serious consideration.  Also I figure roughly $300 on 32 GB of memory.  I suppose I could only get 16 but I want 32 GB lol.  Maybe by the time the other boards are out the manufacturers of the boards and memory might have updated QVL lists out.  I cannot find anything from EVGA, ASUS or Gigabyte.  If anyone knows of a QVL for memory I would appreciate a link.  Not sure the ultra high priced memory Cool GTX referenced is in my budget atm.  :)

X299 System:

valzero
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/25 21:04:40 (permalink)
    EVGA Dark x299 is my first choice. But after the long wait for gtx 1080ti's like the ftw I can say I will not wait. If the ASUS apex shows up I am grabbing it. The best part about my 10 years with evga was advanced RMA, not only they no longer have that service but you will get a used product as a replacement if your new one is not working correctly. 

7920x 4.8Ghz
    32GB Samsung B 4000Mhz Cas 18 18 18 38
    x299 Dark
    EVGA 2080ti FTW3 SLI x16 x16
    1TB Samsung NVME x4
    2TB Intel NVME x4

Gam3r26
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/27 12:44:38 (permalink)
    I always rly loved you guys, your products, service, quality and warranty, been by EVGA's side from waay back in the day like many others, and I honestly have to say  this teasing, sneak peeking and vague info that us the fans get from you guys in recent times,  rly makes each of us fans die a little inside and cry in a corner.  So I can't say recently that anything has changed, or EVGA is trying to justify constantly leaving us in suspense and consistent waiting for new releases, but you all have a huge fan base and I just feel like many that us not even getting any "REAL" feedback about the so-called new DG-7 cases as well as the new X299 mobos jus aint right, I mean at least give us "something to hold us over you know??  I don't think I will ever stop buying from you guys,  but recent times the level of frustration that all of EVGA fans have been building is causing us to reluctantly turn to other manufacturers.  Lot of us had similar complaints about the 1080ti releases including the elite versions.  So do us all a favor and try your hardest to rectify some of these things and keep us as a fanbase happy, so we keep coming back, is all we are asking.  Thanks. Luv you guys 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/27 12:54:50 (permalink)
    valzero
    EVGA Dark x299 is my first choice. But after the long wait for gtx 1080ti's like the ftw I can say I will not wait. If the ASUS apex shows up I am grabbing it. The best part about my 10 years with evga was advanced RMA, not only they no longer have that service but you will get a used product as a replacement if your new one is not working correctly. 

Advanced RMA is still around. Not sure where you got that they no longer have that service.

And every company does that with RMA. EVGA will send a new item if it is within the first 30 days. I just sent my $350 blender in, and received a refurbished blender back. I sent my malfunctioning Asus motherboard in, and received the same malfunctioning motherboard back. At least EVGA sends a replacement and not the same exact part.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/06/27 13:02:55
    mpoffo
    SSC Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/27 16:43:53 (permalink)
    Something just arrived and is looking for a motherboard home.  :)

Attached Image(s)

X299 System:

tom7058
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/27 17:59:06 (permalink)
    mpoffo

Wow, I'm jealous! Mine comes in 2morrow. I'm addicted to the F5 right now on my tracking LOL.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/27 19:19:24 (permalink)
    mpoffo

Iamrogue
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/27 22:50:57 (permalink)
    performance is good but it is hot as hell

tommorow i am getting 2nd 7900x to check if it clocks better, after that im deliding...

7980XE @ 4,98GHz | 32GB @ 4294 CL17/17/17/37 | X299 DARK | 2xRTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz | 2,5TB NVMe(intel) | 1600W T2 

mpoffo
    SSC Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 07:14:42 (permalink)
    Iamrogue
    performance is good but it is hot as hell

tommorow i am getting 2nd 7900x to check if it clocks better, after that im deliding...

For cooling right now I run a Corsair H110.  I assume that will do ok in keeping things in check at stock settings.  At least that is the impression I received when reading around.  I may need to look at a more robust cooling solution if I am going to OC.  I usually like a mild everyday over clock.  I don't need to run like a bat out of hell (except for benching :) )  Hopefully the H110 can handle the job.  If not I will need to explore other options.

Also if I can go back to my original post, assuming EVGA is the holy grail of motherboards and support, how do people find Gigabytes support and bios?  I have experience mainly with ASUS.  Is Gigabyte good at updating and taking care of bio issues?  Is there customer support reasonable?  I realize every company is going to have good and bad stories out there.

Thanks

X299 System:

Iamrogue
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 09:40:40 (permalink)
    i am cooling my 4,7 with this:

it is this 360mm in push config and 420mm in push/pull config

with eloop fans

90'C at hottest core in CineBench
    OCCT would fry it as it can go usually 20'C more...

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 09:53:57 (permalink)
    mpoffo
    Is Gigabyte good at updating and taking care of bio issues?  Is there customer support reasonable?  I realize every company is going to have good and bad stories out there.

Yep. 

Iamrogue 
    90'C at hottest core in CineBench
    OCCT would fry it as it can go usually 20'C more...

mpoffo
    SSC Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 10:23:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Sajin

X299 System:

cateno
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 979
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 10:54:44 (permalink)
    hello

in house I9 7900X
    aio 360
    raid ssd M2
    32gb ddr4 4000 Cl18 ( not new kit x299 is 2 kit 2x8 4000 cl18 )
    waiting
    dark or apex first
    projet collection X299
    RE6
    apex
    dark
    oc formula
    soc champion
    god like
    other cpu  7740X
    7800x
    and the  18c at the end year

Z690 classified start build

X299 DARK  7900X 7740x soon 7980X
    X299 APEX
    X299 rampage Extreme

E762 W3520@4.2  E679 2600k
    E760 X980 
    E761 I920
    E770 I950
    and SR2's  and SRX's
    Z87 classified , MVIE built with 4770K
    Z97 classified , ftw Z97 ,  MFVII  only wait for gigabyte LN2 
    X99 series.... classified , FTW , RE5 , oc formula, profesional , X11 , soc force , msi gaming9ack

X79 classified, dark and RIVE, RIVBE,, xtreme11
    and many classified a panel from EVGA  no just one sample

and other  DFI giga etc  

Iamrogue
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 11:12:43 (permalink)
    I guess 360mm is a minimum for stable 4,5GHz

I need better mobo with more power for PCI-E - I am not satisfied with my scores, and can barely OC my cards...  
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20742425
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20743489

:(

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 17:00:39 (permalink)
    Rogue.. do you have a way to measure temps on your VRM? If so, I suggest you start monitoring...

mpoffo
    SSC Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 18:21:26 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Rogue.. do you have a way to measure temps on your VRM? If so, I suggest you start monitoring...

Very interesting and concerning.  So it appears waiting could pay off.  Hopefully EVGA deals with this issue.  From the video ASUS is apparently making changes to the APEX and Rampage (not sure where he got that info from).

Also as an FYI, there is this post from the linustechtip forums:
    FYI, there is a good possibility the PSU used influenced this a lot. He's using the Superflower PSU with the transparent modular connectors. That particular model uses the same 9-pin connector type for ALL connectors. So the nine pins have to support +12 V, +5 V and +3.3 V and ground connections. Thus, if the voltage drops from the PSU to the EPS12V, the VRMs have to pull more current at the lower voltage than it would if the voltage were higher thus causing them to run hotter too. It has fewer +12 V connectors on the PSU side too, so voltage drop is a guarantee.

A lot of the info above came from JonnyGuru whom I was talking with just now about this, so he alerted me to this possibility. I did let Der8aurer know via a message but not sure he'll see it anytime soon.
    post edited by mpoffo - 2017/06/28 18:50:11

X299 System:

oldmanian
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 263
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/28 20:16:36 (permalink)
    Given EVGA's experience with GPU VRM's I bet that their boards are not impacted by this issue.  As it seems like it will boil down to bad thermal design/ bad pads.

Need the Dark to release soon....
    Goobers
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 147
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/29 00:53:31 (permalink)
    oldmanian
    Given EVGA's experience with GPU VRM's I bet that their boards are not impacted by this issue.  As it seems like it will boil down to bad thermal design/ bad pads.

Need the Dark to release soon....

Or bad testing methodology?

When talking about thermals there are two cases... 

One: the thermals of a product when compared to another product, in the same conditions. Therefore, open bench or in closed case doesn't matter.

Two: absolute numbers vs specifications. And this does require noting that a closed case with poor or no airflow will result in even higher numbers than an open bench. And the open bench will, in turn, result in higher numbers than a closed case with good set up for airflow.

One person on youtube suggested that he put a fan onto the VRM heatsink and der8auer and others shot back saying who goes to such effort? Usually, no one goes to such effort, no one has to, because the airflow of the case is doing exactly that.
    Iamrogue
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/29 02:18:41 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech

i can but dont know if i can trust HW - it reported my OC to 12GHz !!!

Goobers
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 147
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: X299 Motherboard Options 2017/06/29 02:54:51 (permalink)
    Iamrogue
    Scarlet-Tech

~~trimmed~~

i can but dont know if i can trust HW - it reported my OC to 12GHz !!!

I think, between what you said about you having an engineering sample and the possibility that HWmon might not be fully updated, it's probably not going to work out. Unless you use a physical infrared thermometer or something.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile