EVGA

Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0?

Author
zer0freeze
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/05/26 12:14:44 (permalink)
I have an old EVGA P55 motherboard from 2009. I'm running Windows 10. I just got a ASUS AC1900 Wireless Adapter that uses USB 3.0. I was hoping that coupled with my Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk Router I might get a bit of extra speed than my wired N connection on my motherboard.

My motherboard doesn't have USB 3.0, so I went to the store and bought a PCIe card with USB 3.0 and installed it. I installed it (triple checked everything was seated, and connected properly), then the drivers, and it never showed up in device manager. The computer didn't detect the new hardware. I figured it was because of Windows 10. The box said it supported only up to Windows 8. I returned it and got a new one from a different company, It said supports Windows in General nothing specific. This time with 4 USB 3.0 Connections, and it said the same thing. "Please make sure your expansion card is installed prior to installing the drivers". It wasn't able to recognize it.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is my motherboard too old or crappy to know what USB 3.0 is? I even went in and tried to upgrade the drivers on my motherboard, but no luck. It was as up to date as it can be.

10 Replies Related Threads

somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/26 15:14:14 (permalink)
    Mobo has PCIe 2.0, should work just fine. Have you tried a different PCIe slot? Perhaps you have a bad slot on the board.

That said, you should still get fine speeds if you just use USB 2, it will max at around 250 Mbps each direction but you're not going to get much more than that out of wifi unless you are in the same room as the AP.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/26 19:03:18 (permalink)
    I used an USB card in my X58 motherboard just fine.
    It was PCIE 1 and I had it in a PCIE x 16 slot. Worked good for me.
    Try another PCIE slot. It can go in a x8 or x16 slot.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/27 08:49:46 (permalink)
    I don't know if you solved this already, but did you do a cmos reset after you installed it? Just remember to reapply your bios settings afterwards.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    zer0freeze
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/29 12:27:13 (permalink)
    Sorry guys it took so long to respond,  I was working all weekend. Unfortunately my graphic card takes up two slots, and the only one that's open is a small slot at the bottom. I know it should work, but for some reason it doesn't detect the card.

You guys are saying you installed the PCIe USB 3.0 expansion cards and it worked? I wonder why mine doesn't. As far as a CMOS reset, that shouldn't be necessary, but it's something I can try. Thanks for the replies.
    Is there any way that my motherboard is too old? USB 3.0 came out in November 2008, and I built my computer in summer of 09. I'm scared I skimped out on a motherboard and got a small inexpensive board that at the time didn't have any USB 3.0 Capabilities. Is this what is possibly happening? Just want confirmation before I take the card back to the store and start planning to build a new computer lol. 
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/29 13:47:33 (permalink)
    Maybe is really time to start to build new computer.
    Your computer is almost 10 years old. Served you good, fact that EVGA P55 still work is excellent.
    Now relatively cheap motherboards have Internal USB 3.1 twice faster than USB 3.0.
    I recommend waiting of X299 Intel or AMD AM4.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/29 15:29:12 (permalink)
    zer0freeze
    Sorry guys it took so long to respond,  I was working all weekend. Unfortunately my graphic card takes up two slots, and the only one that's open is a small slot at the bottom. I know it should work, but for some reason it doesn't detect the card.

You guys are saying you installed the PCIe USB 3.0 expansion cards and it worked? I wonder why mine doesn't. As far as a CMOS reset, that shouldn't be necessary, but it's something I can try. Thanks for the replies.
    Is there any way that my motherboard is too old? USB 3.0 came out in November 2008, and I built my computer in summer of 09. I'm scared I skimped out on a motherboard and got a small inexpensive board that at the time didn't have any USB 3.0 Capabilities. Is this what is possibly happening? Just want confirmation before I take the card back to the store and start planning to build a new computer lol. 

Yes, I have a USB3 PCIE card in my X58, Asus P6T V2 deluxe and it works fine.
    It only has 2 USB3 ports, both ports work fine. Not so sure it is worth the effort, I do not move a huge amount of large files.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/30 23:12:06 (permalink)
    Usb 3.0 should work just fine, you just have to load the drivers.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    zer0freeze
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/31 11:06:42 (permalink)
    I already returned my PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card. I was getting errors when trying to load the drivers. I wrote it off to my mobo being too old, and I just have to build a new computer.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/05/31 11:55:59 (permalink)
    It could of been a bad add in card.
    Try a different brand from a local store if you could.

RICHJR
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Is my motherboard too old for USB 3.0? 2017/06/17 09:38:47 (permalink)
    Hi! - 
    3.0 USB is not life or death.  2.0 USB is still good. 3.0 USB is compatible with 2.0 but it will just run slower.
    As for Wireless-N USB Network Adapter ,, I've have and still use daily "Cisco" Linksys AE2500 Wi-Fi Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter which still able to get for under $40.
    Wireless Data Speed/ transaction is not noticeable with its signal - communication link.  Can you tell the difference in 1 Thousandths of 1 percent. That's a rather super fast blink.
    Your ISP matters.  Like TWC having 2MBs service  rather than 15MBs or having Verizon FIOS. Depends what Internet Package you are paying for.
    3.0 vs 2.0 can be noticed in Read/Write speeds in Data file size transfers to USB Flash Drive as 3.0 is quicker.

Simply put ... your 2009 rig is too old. Best to use it as back up, browsing Internet or other stuff. As for playing Games probably stick with those before 2013.
    Now if you wait until next year 2018 ... there will be a ton of new and greater Desktops (Motherboards) to be had.
    For a nice performing desktop that will last you (keep you current) for 3 to 5 years likely will need to spend $1,200 to $1,800.
    If you are a BIY "Build It Yourself" person ... you have plenty of options. 
    Best Buy offers garbage and usually stuff that contains 1 to 2 years old stuff at Premium Price.

Cheaply made with a low end motherboard, crappy power supply, mediocre Ram speed, cheap tower. Okay it may have a near updated GPU and CPU installed.
    However, lots of Malware and always Home Edition Operating System.
    Then you can't even upgrade them since they are pre-built from XYZ company (ASUS, DELL, Alienware, CYBERPOWER PC, ACER, HP, iBuyPower, Microsoft,  etc:) especially for Retail Stores.

If you can BIY that is great depending on your confidence level and expertise.
    Otherwise, CyberPower PC will do nicely or different company of choice. You need to establish a friendly conversational atmosphere and stay clam when interacting with CyberPower PC.
    You should use their CONFIGURATOR  and plan your options / item selections carefully. Check out the components by researching "Googling" if worthwhile.
    Read online Reviews and read people commentary remarks. Expect to pay $300 to $500 more than if able to BIY. Reason .. they bought the parts and paying a somewhat knowledgeable person to piece it together. Then they're suppose to check it to see if it properly working. Also you can pay for extended Warranty ($50 to $150) coverage or RMA defective stuff back to them.
    When you BIY , you don't get an extended Warranty other than to contact the MFGR yourself then RMA the defective part.
    Also if you put together your computer wrong / made a fatal error then it is on you.  
    So you are sort of ahead having someone custom build your PC. 

Stay within your Budget. Things can get out of hand as "I DESIRE & WANT ALL THE BEST STUFF" which can cost more than $3,000.
    Be Realistic, Practical, Use Common Sense - in 2 to 6 months technology or computer hardware as manufacturers will always release something new on the market.
    What you purchase will need to last you for a few years without conducting any Upgrades.  Now slap you hands and say "Don't Buy That - I really don't need it now".
    Have a budget plan and Save your money. In 3 to 5 to 7 years ...all that money saved can buy you "Your Dream PC Machine".

Honestly ! in 10 years or less or maybe within 5 years we'll surpass the need for Desktops and Laptops.  
    Things will be More compact, faster, lighter in weight, Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality, Wireless - Bluetooth.  DISPOSABLE, Fragile - what doesn't break, Cost wise depends on how you
    care for or abuse your toy.
    Wrist Watches been on the market. Do people like them .. only a very low percent of the population like the "Dick Tracy" gadget.
    Could be more like "Star Trek" - instant food making machines - just ask what you want, one-touch communication device, lasers guns instead of those using bullets,
    virtual reality/ holograms rooms, all kinds of things made with 3D Printers, movies without real actors as they are realistic animated computerized looking characters, advanced robotics or androids performing more
    tasks than ever. Do I trust Driver-less Automobiles. No way Hosea ! Auto Pilot/ Cruise Control sure as long as a person is present and overseeing the operation.
    We're not perfect humans so machines will have faults, flaws and errors or anything and everything that mankind makes.

post edited by RICHJR - 2017/06/17 09:57:26
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile