1080 Ti Power limit question

Author
sniperganso
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/05/24 05:55:01 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I noticed that the power limit is easily hit on my SC Black 1080 Ti in some games such as Talos Principle, making it downclock the card while the temperature is still ~70C.

I was wondering if it is *COMPLETELY* safe to *ONLY* increase the power limit on this card, in order to prevent downclocking while on safe temps. My concern is that the Power limit supposedly keeps the card at 250W TDP, but, I've seen in some reviews that some cards hit ~285W or even much more above the TDP limit (see Bjorn's FTW3 review as an example). Since the max power draw for this card is 300W (as seen in GPU-Z), I suppose increasing the Power limit to +20% (300W) could result in a power draw above that, which the card may not be prepared for, damaging the card or reducing the electrical components durability.

Can anyone confirm if this is true and thus not safe to only increase the power limit?

Thanks in advance

post edited by sniperganso - 2017/05/24 14:02:11

7 Replies Related Threads

ArmeniusLOD
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 06:21:56 (permalink)
    People were hitting 425W using a modified BIOS with a reference 980 Ti.

Increasing the power limit alone can't damage the GPU.  If you add voltage on top of that, then you can decrease its lifespan.  But power limit alone will not affect the life of the card in any significant way.  How high the power limit can go is limited by the BIOS and shunt resistors, so if NVIDIA didn't think it was safe to increase the power limit then they wouldn't allow it.
    Quad5Ny
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 401
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 08:00:29 (permalink)
    You're fine turning the Power Limit as high as it can go, same with voltage.

You might also want to turn the GPU fan speed up as Pascal's max boost speed is limited based on temperature. You'll likely see a extra 50-100 MHz by just lower the temps 10°C.

I don't think I've heard of a 1080 Ti who's VRM couldn't handle pushing the sliders all the way up. Just make sure your power supply can the extra 50 watts or so.
    sniperganso
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 11:03:25 (permalink)
    hmmm I see some conflicting statements. Quad5Ny said it is fine to turning voltage all the way up, ArmeniusLOD said otherwise. 

@ArmeniusLOD: regarding Nvidia "allowing" it, I would assume that anything we do with OC tools is kind of a gray area between allowed and not-allowed. If it was safe, I suppose the increased power limit would be the default, instead of requiring the use of tools that go beyond the Nvidia control panel. This is exactly what keeps me wondering why it is not the default.
    redleader00
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 906
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 11:13:28 (permalink)
    sniperganso
    hmmm I see some conflicting statements. Quad5Ny said it is fine to turning voltage all the way up, ArmeniusLOD said otherwise. 

@ArmeniusLOD: regarding Nvidia "allowing" it, I would assume that anything we do with OC tools is kind of a gray area between allowed and not-allowed. If it was safe, I suppose the increased power limit would be the default, instead of requiring the use of tools that go beyond the Nvidia control panel. This is exactly what keeps me wondering why it is not the default.

What Quad5Ny said.
    Of course raising the voltage a bit can reduce the lifespan a bit, but if you use the card for gaming it will stop being useful way before it dies.
    post edited by redleader00 - 2017/05/24 11:16:43

ArmeniusLOD
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 11:29:53 (permalink)
    It's not the default because NVIDIA tests their products within certain tolerances and that is what you're guaranteed out of the box.  What they're doing is trying to get as close to 100% usability of the chips that are being produced.  A good proportion of the chips they make are probably stable at 120% of the default power target, but the amount that are not can result in returns and damage to the confidence consumers have in their products.  It can often take only a handful of loud voices to bring a company down.  At the same time, a large amount of people will probably decide not to purchase a video card with no overclocking ability at all.  They also have to keep TDP within the specifications of the cooler they are using.  If they increased the power limit by 20% by default, then that is an extra 50W of heat that needs to be dealt with to stay within tolerances.

This is just my armchair analysis.  I'm sure there are plenty of complexities that go into bringing a product to market that not everyone can fully understand from a consumer perspective, especially a complex piece of computer hardware like a video card.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 12:05:08 (permalink)
    Adjustments via msi afterburner/precision xoc are safe. It's completely safe to only adjust the power target/power limit.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080 Ti Power limit question 2017/05/24 12:27:26 (permalink)
    sniperganso

In some respects it's a marketing gimmick. You're right they could just have the default set at the max. But being able to 'boost' the GPU is a selling point.  Gives the user something to play with, along with the clock sliders.  Too answer your question, anything you do software wise with tools like Afterburner or Precision have no affect on your warranty with EVGA because you're still running within the limits set by the stock BIOS. For Pascal, temps are probably the most important factor in both longevity and performance. The lower your temps, the higher and more stable your boost clocks.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile