• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/05/15 19:40:11 (permalink)
EVGA GTX 780 classified
intel core i7-4790k CPU
16gb ram
MSI z97-G55 sli motherboard

At some point around two months ago, I updated windows or an Nvidia driver and my whole comp began a downward spiral. Windows start up would always have some problem and I would have to manually power down the whole computer 2 times, then the comp would go into a diagnostic start up on the 3rd reboot. I have to do this every time I restart the comp.

Here is what happens, I somehow get the comp running to a degree where I can get things done but the resolution is always low and there is all sorts of problems. I get the comp running normally and the biggest thing wrong is that there is an error code 43 on the GPU. I install some driver and the comp always goes black or crashes. It can take an hour or more of reinstalling windows and resetting everything when it gets bad after a crash. Here is what I have done so far.
  • I have switched monitors
  • I have switched cables(power cables, monitor cables)
  • I have switched GPU positions on the motherboard
  • I have updated every kind of driver over and over
  • I have uninstalled all GPU drivers with DDU(however, when I uninstall with DDU now, the comp crashes and I have to force restart)
  • I have manually tried uninstalling GPU drivers
  • I have installed original, old and new drivers
  • I have manually switched the bios menu on the GPU, which is how I am running the comp now.
This is about what I can remember, I have been working on and off for the last two months but I am a noob with no money so I want to figure out how to get this fixed.

on a side note, this originally happened on windows 10 but I have reformatted the comp so many times that is back on its original windows 8.1.

I have been trouble shooting comp problems my whole life but I am no means proficient or have any idea what I am doing.

Any help will be appreciated.

3 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Noob lost everything to Error 43 GTX 780 classified 2017/05/15 19:46:42 (permalink)
    Sounds like the gpu is busted if you're getting code 43 after a fresh windows/driver installation. I'd recommend testing the card in another pc to see if it's really busted or not.
    post edited by Sajin - 2017/05/15 19:49:14
    loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Noob lost everything to Error 43 GTX 780 classified 2017/05/15 21:59:09 (permalink)
    I would just RMA the card if under warranty. Definitely sounds like a bad card and there is nothing you can really do to fix it yourself.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    aaronkro
    • Total Posts : 24
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Noob lost everything to Error 43 GTX 780 classified 2017/05/16 06:46:55 (permalink)
    I feel your pain though mine was a little different. It was the anniversary update that started the downward spiral for my old computer. Random black screen crashes, inability to do backups and general instability. I went through many of the same procedures as you but I never got a GPU error. Then MS installed the creator edition and the computer let out it's final gasp. I built a new computer in the week before the creator update installed and, though not quite ready, replaced my older computer with it. Now all is good in the universe again.

Since you are getting the GPU error I agree with loveha that the card should be RMA'd or at least tested in another computer if one is available. I thought my old GTX 580 may have been causing the problem for me but I had to install it in my new rig because the 1080 i I want is still on back order. No problems with the 580 so far. Hope you can resolve this issue. You might also want to consider a used or refurbished card if this one is too expensive to repair or is not repairable.

ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming MB * Intel i7-7700K * Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit * EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W * Corsair Hydro Series H110i * EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 * Corsair Graphite Series 760T * Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD * Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile