opinion on water kits and parts

Author
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 56
2017/05/12 17:18:33 (permalink)
so after many years using corair AIO cooler, H100i now, i am looking to go to a better kit that i can expand as needed. i was checking out the EK P280 kit which includes everything needed for a cpu loop. what are your opinions on EK? how do their blocks and rads compare to others. ill probably use PETG tubing instead of flexible tubes so what are their any pit falls with those?

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498

21 Replies Related Threads

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/13 15:55:39 (permalink)
    ok no one has any opinion or experience with EK!? strange 

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/13 16:27:36 (permalink)
    What are you going to be cooling? Personally, if I'm moving away from an AIO I want better cooling and moving from a 240 to 280 radiator isn't that big of a difference. 
    If it's just for the CPU you'll be fine with a 280 but it won't offer tons of cooling. 

What case are you using?
    If it's the one in your signature I'd go with a 360, especially if you might upgrade the loop later on. 

As far as the EK kits go, they're good, no complaints there. Just don't forget that with PETG tubing you need rigid compression fittings, the PETG tubing, and the tubing insert which is not included in the kit. You'll also need a heat gun, and some sort of mandrel to shape your bends with the PETG tubing. Oh, and a reamer is helpful.  I also recommend a jig saw and painters tape to quickly and cleanly cut the tubing. 

As for pitfalls of rigid tubing? 
    1. it's more time intensive to measure, cut, heat, and bend the tubing to the specs you need. The flexible tubing, just measure and cut. 
    2. If you change components often, it's a pain to redo rigid tubing for new components. Mostly it goes back to #1-more time intensive than flexible tubing. 
    3. You have to make sure the tubing fits the rigid compression fittings exactly else you'll get leaks. Example: use 12mm tubing with a 12mm fitting. Don't use 3/8 tubing with 12mm fitting. 
    4. Rigid tubing from one company may not fit (without leaking) rigid compression fittings from another company like primochill tubing and monsoon fittings. 

For the first time doing water cooling I'd recommend using the flexible tubing just to get your feet wet (pun intended). Once you're comfortable with that then I'd recommend the rigid tubing but that's your call :) 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/13 16:34:18 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot to add that the water cooling kits are good to get you going since most everything you need is in the kit. But you might find everything you need at a lesser cost by buying them individually. 
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/
    https://modmymods.com/
    http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/13 16:40:18 (permalink)
    If you can't tell they are a bit more work to set up but the results can be better cooling. Where you having a problem with temps or any other issues that would make you go water cooled? I will admit a water cooled machine can not only be cool but also look cool as well.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/14 02:32:26 (permalink)
    rlb9682
    What are you going to be cooling? Personally, if I'm moving away from an AIO I want better cooling and moving from a 240 to 280 radiator isn't that big of a difference. 
    If it's just for the CPU you'll be fine with a 280 but it won't offer tons of cooling. 

What case are you using?
    If it's the one in your signature I'd go with a 360, especially if you might upgrade the loop later on. 

As far as the EK kits go, they're good, no complaints there. Just don't forget that with PETG tubing you need rigid compression fittings, the PETG tubing, and the tubing insert which is not included in the kit. You'll also need a heat gun, and some sort of mandrel to shape your bends with the PETG tubing. Oh, and a reamer is helpful.  I also recommend a jig saw and painters tape to quickly and cleanly cut the tubing. 

As for pitfalls of rigid tubing? 
    1. it's more time intensive to measure, cut, heat, and bend the tubing to the specs you need. The flexible tubing, just measure and cut. 
    2. If you change components often, it's a pain to redo rigid tubing for new components. Mostly it goes back to #1-more time intensive than flexible tubing. 
    3. You have to make sure the tubing fits the rigid compression fittings exactly else you'll get leaks. Example: use 12mm tubing with a 12mm fitting. Don't use 3/8 tubing with 12mm fitting. 
    4. Rigid tubing from one company may not fit (without leaking) rigid compression fittings from another company like primochill tubing and monsoon fittings. 

For the first time doing water cooling I'd recommend using the flexible tubing just to get your feet wet (pun intended). Once you're comfortable with that then I'd recommend the rigid tubing but that's your call :) 

CPU only for now, corsair 750D so plenty of room. I see different cpu blocks and no real review on how one performs over the other. for the PETG tubing i will be ordering the bending kit and i have a heat gun so all good there. while the kit will come with flexible tubes id rather not do it twice so rigid it will be. I did price everything out separately but there was no real savings  

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/15 11:18:40 (permalink)
    Alright, good to hear! Sounds like you know what you want and now it's just a matter of getting the equipment and installing. Good luck, have fun, and have patience with the rigid tubing! Be sure to post some pics when you can. 

WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 603
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/15 20:03:15 (permalink)
    EK is top notch stuff, but kinda pricey in my opinion.  That said with water cooling "you get what you pay for" really comes into play here.  I started out with a Phobya "Pure Performance" kit from Performance PCs because it was 1/2 the price of the EK stuff and have had 0 problems whatsoever with it.  When I rebuild I am going to use an EK D5 pump and CPU block just like the P280 kit but re-use the radiator.

Waterblocks haven't changed a whole lot in the last few years as far as I know - http://thermalbench.com/category/cpu-waterblocks/ has some pretty good detailed and recent reviews on blocks, pumps, rads, and fans.
    post edited by WackyWRZ - 2017/05/15 20:06:06

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/16 07:20:52 (permalink)
    WackyWRZ
    EK is top notch stuff, but kinda pricey in my opinion.  That said with water cooling "you get what you pay for" really comes into play here.  I started out with a Phobya "Pure Performance" kit from Performance PCs because it was 1/2 the price of the EK stuff and have had 0 problems whatsoever with it.  When I rebuild I am going to use an EK D5 pump and CPU block just like the P280 kit but re-use the radiator.

Waterblocks haven't changed a whole lot in the last few years as far as I know - http://thermalbench.com/category/cpu-waterblocks/ has some pretty good detailed and recent reviews on blocks, pumps, rads, and fans.

i see they reviewed nateman doo waterblock

ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/16 07:32:37 (permalink)
    i am a fan of EK. I have had nothing but good quality and performance from them and good customer service when I have had an issue.. They are more expensive than others.

I also prefer their aesthetic. In my personal builds I only use EK, Bitspower, Barrow watercooling parts. Barrow is a good way to save some money if you are piecing together a loop yourself. I have found them to be excellent quality and the black finish seems to hang on longer the bitspower. 

There are other great quality parts for example:  black ice radiators. I think i just prefer the look of EK and there customer service. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/16 07:40:52 (permalink)
    ragevirusqq
    i am a fan of EK. I have had nothing but good quality and performance from them and good customer service when I have had an issue.. They are more expensive than others.

I also prefer their aesthetic. In my personal builds I only use EK, Bitspower, Barrow watercooling parts. Barrow is a good way to save some money if you are piecing together a loop yourself. I have found them to be excellent quality and the black finish seems to hang on longer the bitspower. 

There are other great quality parts for example:  black ice radiators. I think i just prefer the look of EK and there customer service. 

after reading some reviews i'm kinda leaning the EK way, although the aquacomputer NEXT blocks get great reviews but seem a bit on the higher price side ( a .925 silver one! ) 

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/17 12:23:22 (permalink)
    ragevirusqq

I guess I don't have a favorite except for radiators. I love the HW labs radiators but in my system I've got XSPC, EKWB, HW Labs, Bitspower, Alphacool, Monsoon, and Primochill. I think that all the companies producing water cooling parts have something to offer to everyone. 

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/17 12:52:15 (permalink)
    rlb9682
    ragevirusqq

I guess I don't have a favorite except for radiators. I love the HW labs radiators but in my system I've got XSPC, EKWB, HW Labs, Bitspower, Alphacool, Monsoon, and Primochill. I think that all the companies producing water cooling parts have something to offer to everyone. 

ive great things about HW labs radiators, 
    here is a question that i cant seem to get a definite answer on, when setting up the loop which is better, res-pump-rad-block-res or res-pump-block-rad-res? i would think rad-block for the coolest liquid before it hit the block but ive read other argue the other way also. 

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/17 15:30:25 (permalink)
    It doesn't really matter. You might see a 1C temp difference either way. Once the water is flowing it really doesn't matter. I've tried both and never seen a difference in temperatures. 

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/17 18:17:58 (permalink)
    rlb9682
    It doesn't really matter. You might see a 1C temp difference either way. Once the water is flowing it really doesn't matter. I've tried both and never seen a difference in temperatures. 

ok thanks. trying visualize the loop route and it will help that it will be the same either way. 

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/23 03:09:25 (permalink)
    rlb9682

^^+1  The water temp will equalize, either way. I have real good luck with XSPC rads myself, but I like the thicker ones. The RX360 is a nice rad if you have room. It's nice to be able to turn the fans down and still have great temps. Make sure to use some good fans with decent pressure. Also, you may know that a low fin per inch rad will give great low fan speed performance. Quiet, plus cooling performance is what I like. Good luck with your project.   
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/23 03:53:10 (permalink)
    notfordman
    rlb9682

^^+1  The water temp will equalize, either way. I have real good luck with XSPC rads myself, but I like the thicker ones. The RX360 is a nice rad if you have room. It's nice to be able to turn the fans down and still have great temps. Make sure to use some good fans with decent pressure. Also, you may know that a low fin per inch rad will give great low fan speed performance. Quiet, plus cooling performance is what I like. Good luck with your project.   

Im probably going with the EK p360 kit, but i have been looking into glass tubes instead of soft or petg, looking at a few places that might be able to custom bend the glass to spec but i would need to send them exact measurements, i think it would look pretty sweet and better than have 90° fittings.

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/26 03:05:30 (permalink)
    Hold it right there mate.

You can't bend glass at home.  Borosilicate glass requires ~1000-1200C to work with it like we do with PETG or PMMA and slightly less to lose rigidity umm... 800+C for basic softening of the material. Furthermore there is no silicon insert which can survive such temps (so tube won't collapse on itself). The only insert which can survive such temperatures is... sand. 

If you can do that at home then I don't even want to know what you doing in there. 

With glass only straight lines or few ready made bends like for example offered by Alphacool. Beware: Glass is not as even as you think. It's not possible to create glass tube as even on the surface as PMMA or PETG. Example: fitting is 16mm OD, but glass tube can be 16.12mm in one place, 15.98 in the other and 16.04 in the third measure point. Basically you have to use fittings from the company which offers glass tubing.

Sure it does looks really nice, but man its too much hassle. PMMA is much more useful with very wide range of applications. 
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/26 03:38:51 (permalink)
    ypsylon
    Hold it right there mate.

You can't bend glass at home.  Borosilicate glass requires ~1000-1200C to work with it like we do with PETG or PMMA and slightly less to lose rigidity umm... 800+C for basic softening of the material. Furthermore there is no silicon insert which can survive such temps (so tube won't collapse on itself). The only insert which can survive such temperatures is... sand. 

If you can do that at home then I don't even want to know what you doing in there. 

With glass only straight lines or few ready made bends like for example offered by Alphacool. Beware: Glass is not as even as you think. It's not possible to create glass tube as even on the surface as PMMA or PETG. Example: fitting is 16mm OD, but glass tube can be 16.12mm in one place, 15.98 in the other and 16.04 in the third measure point. Basically you have to use fittings from the company which offers glass tubing.

Sure it does looks really nice, but man its too much hassle. PMMA is much more useful with very wide range of applications. 

Yeah doing it my self would a little above my skill level and I'm waiting to hear back from two places that can do it, one does custom neon tubing. Most likely won't go with that though because I'm sure it would cost two legs and a arm lol

rightwingpsycho
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 120
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/31 19:21:26 (permalink)
    The EK stuff is high quality and looks amazing

My Affiliate Code: RQRXYON95O EVGA Z270 Classified, Silicone Valley delidded 7700K 5.2ghz, EVGA 64gb (4x16) 3200mhz ram (from Micro Center, Atl.), EVGA 1600 T2 power supply, 1tb 960 pro ssd, 1tb 850 pro ssd (storage), WD Red 4tb HDD (storage), EVGA CLC 280 CPU water cooler, two EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid Gaming in SLI, EVGA DG-87 Case, Windows 10 Pro
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2017/05/31 19:23:54 (permalink)
    rightwingpsycho
    The EK stuff is high quality and looks amazing

thats what im going with

Mamie357
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: opinion on water kits and parts 2018/08/31 03:11:10 (permalink)
    I think Water Block cooler is the good option for you. It is made from nickel-plated purest copper base and it's designed delivers true cooling performance. Its top side is covered by CNC machined acrylic material. It gives you  2.20 C better-cooling output.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile