3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/06/28 06:13:50 (permalink)
One thing to keep in mind for most users, if you dont need a PCB heater to keep your be an warm, avoid buying something that has a heater.

The classifieds were always overbuilt and targeted toward the overclockers, but the K|ngp|n cards should have only been marketed as extreme overclocking cards and not gamer cards. They even made the price outrageous.

Then the cards started dying. I still can't believe there are people looking to buy the 1080ti K|ngp|n knowing the issues that came about from the 980ti version. Hopefully you guys that fell for the 980ti version will get working models and will be able to avoid further issues.
Keaton Fox
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/06/28 12:21:32 (permalink)
greyson76
Thanks for your response Keaton, glad to hear the card they sent you is still working.  I have no interest in "benchmarking" and I certainly don't plan to put in a nitrogen cooling system.  I'll keep you updated on what they send me (we're in the cross-ship phase of things now).  Hopefully they won't make me go through three of these things before they settle on giving me a card that will work for my purposes, but I guess that remains to be seen.  What would you say my chances are of running this thing stock with just air cooling, how long do you think it will take before it craps out too?  Hopefully they ran out of these things and just send me a 1080.

Cheers!
Greyson

I'm also not a bench-marker, or even someone who uses render software. I just play PC games with it. As for how long it could last, I'm not sure. I've only ran mine with stock air cooling, and my first card lasted 9 months. Then the next lasted 3 months, then two months. Hopefully you're replacement card works great and doesn't have these problems again. Whether it's another 980ti Kingpin, or an equal or better equivalent.
Dr.Death
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1011
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/06/28 14:27:41 (permalink)
don't know if you see this guys thread here on this ?

https://forums.evga.com/Evga-Gtx-980-ti-Kingpin-is-dead-As-of-today-4th-card-failed-m2590732.aspx

maybe you 2 got something in common with these cards ?
faceitpaige
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/15 15:47:29 (permalink)
Wow, I just saw this. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what is going on and it is so upsetting when I call in to ask for help and the guy that I spoke to barely said ANYTHING. I think I practically talked to myself the entire time asking him to help me out and if I was doing anything wrong or if there was some incompatibility. Might wanna listen to that conversation.
Anyways, I'm having the exact same problem with the screen just going blank. This is my second one and I may got the RMA started. My first 980 Kingpin had the same exact issue so I RMA'ed that first one and received this one in return but am still having the same issue. With the first one, I was using dual monitor and I read that people were having issues when they had the same setup. Screen just kept on crashing. I figured with this second one I received back, I'll just use one monitor so as to not have to deal with the same problem.
Well, this time around, it got worst. I have a brand new system running Windows 10 and have not changed anything since I took out the first Kingpin so when I installed this second one in, I barely made it past the Welcome sign before screen would turn black and I'll have to force restart. Everytime I tried to download/install/update driver for Nvidia.. it'll crash. Back to safe mode I would go to roll back, uninstall and reinstall. Rinse and repeat, not necessarily in that order.
Steps I've done to try to coax it to work...

-Downgraded to one monitor (sad face)
-Downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 7 (sad sad face)
-Tried 4 different monitors... Even bought a brand new monitor thinking it might be the monitor.
-Tried VGA, HDMI, DVI
-Moved everything to different room using different outlets.
-Drivers are all up to date

Everything is brand spanking new that I built just so that I can play ONE GAME. JUST ONE GAME. W.O.W
No music, movies, books, or any downloads besides WOW.

My spec that I've switched back and forth to try to rule out the culprit

Monitors: Dell, BenQ, Asus, HP

Mouse: Logitech G13, Razer Deathadder Elite, Razer Molten (old school but I love it the most)

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 7 Year Warranty Power Supply

Gigabyte LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming GT

Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB K|NGP|N w/ACX 2.0+ (72%+ ASIC), Whisper Silent w/ Multi-Color LED Cooler, Customized Overclocking Graphics Card

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 32GB Kit (4x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory

Yep, those are it. Please don't be mean. I'm a girl and this is my second computer that I've built. I'm sorry if this all sounds confusing or I'm not typing in the right computer linguistic. This is my first time ever I think that I've reached out on a forum regarding this matter. Will be sending out this current one through RMA and hoping the next one I received wouldn't make me bash my head in. 🤔 And yes, I've read through most of the forums here, tried majority of the troubleshooting pointers, sweet talked to my Kingpin, yelled at it, cried with it and yes, I've even threatened to break up with him. Worst relationship I've ever had. Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? I just wanna play my ONE game... Is that so much to ask? Can a girl run a dungeon/raid to get her gears and item level up without crashing right when the boss is about to die or when you're just about grab that nice loot? Am I asking for to much in this relationship? I would do whatever it takes to make it right. Please help. So sad. Sad sad face
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/15 16:58:55 (permalink)
faceitpaige
Wow, I just saw this. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what is going on and it is so upsetting when I call in to ask for help and the guy that I spoke to barely said ANYTHING. I think I practically talked to myself the entire time asking him to help me out and if I was doing anything wrong or if there was some incompatibility. Might wanna listen to that conversation.
Anyways, I'm having the exact same problem with the screen just going blank. This is my second one and I may got the RMA started. My first 980 Kingpin had the same exact issue so I RMA'ed that first one and received this one in return but am still having the same issue. With the first one, I was using dual monitor and I read that people were having issues when they had the same setup. Screen just kept on crashing. I figured with this second one I received back, I'll just use one monitor so as to not have to deal with the same problem.
Well, this time around, it got worst. I have a brand new system running Windows 10 and have not changed anything since I took out the first Kingpin so when I installed this second one in, I barely made it past the Welcome sign before screen would turn black and I'll have to force restart. Everytime I tried to download/install/update driver for Nvidia.. it'll crash. Back to safe mode I would go to roll back, uninstall and reinstall. Rinse and repeat, not necessarily in that order.
Steps I've done to try to coax it to work...

-Downgraded to one monitor (sad face)
-Downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 7 (sad sad face)
-Tried 4 different monitors... Even bought a brand new monitor thinking it might be the monitor.
-Tried VGA, HDMI, DVI
-Moved everything to different room using different outlets.
-Drivers are all up to date

Everything is brand spanking new that I built just so that I can play ONE GAME. JUST ONE GAME. W.O.W
No music, movies, books, or any downloads besides WOW.

My spec that I've switched back and forth to try to rule out the culprit

Monitors: Dell, BenQ, Asus, HP

Mouse: Logitech G13, Razer Deathadder Elite, Razer Molten (old school but I love it the most)

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 7 Year Warranty Power Supply

Gigabyte LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming GT

Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB K|NGP|N w/ACX 2.0+ (72%+ ASIC), Whisper Silent w/ Multi-Color LED Cooler, Customized Overclocking Graphics Card

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 32GB Kit (4x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory

Yep, those are it. Please don't be mean. I'm a girl and this is my second computer that I've built. I'm sorry if this all sounds confusing or I'm not typing in the right computer linguistic. This is my first time ever I think that I've reached out on a forum regarding this matter. Will be sending out this current one through RMA and hoping the next one I received wouldn't make me bash my head in. 🤔 And yes, I've read through most of the forums here, tried majority of the troubleshooting pointers, sweet talked to my Kingpin, yelled at it, cried with it and yes, I've even threatened to break up with him. Worst relationship I've ever had. Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? I just wanna play my ONE game... Is that so much to ask? Can a girl run a dungeon/raid to get her gears and item level up without crashing right when the boss is about to die or when you're just about grab that nice loot? Am I asking for to much in this relationship? I would do whatever it takes to make it right. Please help. So sad. Sad sad face

Definitely sounds like you have a defective gpu. Could you test the card in another computer?
faceitpaige
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/15 17:11:56 (permalink)
Unfortunately, my first computer that I'm currently using in the meantime doesn't meet the requirements (it's a pretty old dinosaur) or else I would have tried that. Thanks Sajin...
weedyabyss
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/17 08:24:18 (permalink)
faceitpaige

I've been having issues across 3 980Ti K|ngp|n's too. First two they sent me were DOA(or rather, the 1st worked for about 10-20 minutes and the 2nd never worked), and I swapped PSUs between the 2nd and 3rd card arriving(from Antec Earthwatts 650w to Corsair HX850i) and this one seemed good for a few months, but has recently begun to blackscreen as well. Cant imagine its all just bad luck that many people seem to be on an RMA treadmill with these GPUs, unless its the same handful of units going back and forth or there was an issue with a batch of them that EVGA didnt catch.

Regardless, I'm hoping I can RMA this and just get off this cursed GPU model. I'm very, very tired of dealing with RMAs(even though EVGA support has been polite and helpful).
post edited by weedyabyss - 2017/07/17 08:32:07
faceitpaige
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/17 12:27:31 (permalink)
weedyabyss
faceitpaige

I've been having issues across 3 980Ti K|ngp|n's too. First two they sent me were DOA(or rather, the 1st worked for about 10-20 minutes and the 2nd never worked), and I swapped PSUs between the 2nd and 3rd card arriving(from Antec Earthwatts 650w to Corsair HX850i) and this one seemed good for a few months, but has recently begun to blackscreen as well. Cant imagine its all just bad luck that many people seem to be on an RMA treadmill with these GPUs, unless its the same handful of units going back and forth or there was an issue with a batch of them that EVGA didnt catch.

Regardless, I'm hoping I can RMA this and just get off this cursed GPU model. I'm very, very tired of dealing with RMAs(even though EVGA support has been polite and helpful).

I agree that EVGA has been polite but it's really disheartening knowing that your next RMA that you receive back will probably do the same thing and so... This vicious cycle will never end, it seems like. I just wish they would recall or look into why this particular model seems to be having this particular problem and save us all the trouble. Even spoke to that last rep who was not helpful at all but was polite and asked him if it was possible to just downgrade or something and he said no. I was willing to take a loss just to avoid all this headache.
post edited by faceitpaige - 2017/07/17 12:35:39
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/18 12:13:48 (permalink)
faceitpaige
weedyabyss
faceitpaige

I agree that EVGA has been polite but it's really disheartening knowing that your next RMA that you receive back will probably do the same thing and so... This vicious cycle will never end, it seems like. I just wish they would recall or look into why this particular model seems to be having this particular problem and save us all the trouble. Even spoke to that last rep who was not helpful at all but was polite and asked him if it was possible to just downgrade or something and he said no. I was willing to take a loss just to avoid all this headache.

Let us know if your new gpu works better or not.
faceitpaige
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/18 13:00:12 (permalink)
Ok, so I asked a friend to test out my GPU that I haven't sent in yet through Rma since I'm kinda tired of feeling let down and sad about this whole situation. He worked on it for 2 days, even stayed up all night to get to troubleshoot it and confirmed it was defective. I'm sitting here looking at this GPU and my new computer that I haven't been able to use for months. It's kinda sad to be honest. I should just wrap it up and send it out to get my replacement but just dreading having to go through the whole process of putting it in again and crossing my fingers, hoping this new one might work and if it does, for how long. Sigh.... I'll send it out tomorrow. Wish me luck 🤞
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/18 13:19:30 (permalink)
Good luck. 
Silvaren
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/18 15:04:51 (permalink)
Hello

I am sorry to hear that you also suffer from this. I am the only one who replaced 5 cards due to this issue but there are others who replaced 2-3 on here and on OCN

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2696401

You can check my thread and my other comments under my thread.

Good luck with your Deadpin Edition, i hope they replace it with something else. You can show them all these threads and ask them to provide a different solution.
SystemsOgreLoad
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/07/26 10:57:12 (permalink)
greyson76
Thanks for your response Keaton, glad to hear the card they sent you is still working.  I have no interest in "benchmarking" and I certainly don't plan to put in a nitrogen cooling system.  I'll keep you updated on what they send me (we're in the cross-ship phase of things now).  Hopefully they won't make me go through three of these things before they settle on giving me a card that will work for my purposes, but I guess that remains to be seen.  What would you say my chances are of running this thing stock with just air cooling, how long do you think it will take before it craps out too?  Hopefully they ran out of these things and just send me a 1080.

Cheers!
Greyson

3rd time stuck without a gpu to game on would be rough. Any chance you could ask support to upgrade you since you have had so many issues with that model?
faceitpaige
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/08/07 10:23:26 (permalink)
Just an update on my 3rd and last RMA. I had received a 1080 Sealed!! Everything was so smooth and fast, I kinda just stood there in front of my computer with my mouth gaping compared to all the troubles I went thru with my old Kingpin. As of now, I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I just wanted to make a comment to say THANK YOU to everyone for being helpful, nice and supportive. I'm not sure if I was just lucky or someone took pity on me but regardless, EVGA came through for me and I couldn't be any happier. And for everyone else still having troubles, I sincerely hope everything will turn out well. Best of luck 🤞! And again EVGA, THANK YOU!!
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3rd EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition Dead 2017/08/07 15:12:24 (permalink)
faceitpaige
Just an update on my 3rd and last RMA. I had received a 1080 Sealed!! Everything was so smooth and fast, I kinda just stood there in front of my computer with my mouth gaping compared to all the troubles I went thru with my old Kingpin. As of now, I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I just wanted to make a comment to say THANK YOU to everyone for being helpful, nice and supportive. I'm not sure if I was just lucky or someone took pity on me but regardless, EVGA came through for me and I couldn't be any happier. And for everyone else still having troubles, I sincerely hope everything will turn out well. Best of luck 🤞! And again EVGA, THANK YOU!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile