EVGA

Feel like a rookie again :(

Author
Clearpullzz
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/25 11:14:44 (permalink)
Ok, start from the beginning, I am sure i will miss something here but I will list mostly all I have did because I have done all of what you see at least twice now.

I am not a novice, but gave up building rigs due to parent hood and I just could not keep up/reasearch enough with all the configuration changes there makers keep pulling. So in todays era, I see I am a rookie again :(

Old HP 500-023w went splat... Dead, I tried to fix it and broke some 1155 pins in the process. So told myself time to build that entry game rig i have been dreaming about doing. Spent better part of 3 days reading how to's and why for's on todays market setup. Then I ordered the following ....

Board - Gigabyte b75m-d3v rev 1.1
Chip - Intel Core LGA1155 I5 3330 @ 3.0 up to 3.2 ghz
Card - evga geforce gtx 750 ti FFW
PSU - WT WPO550 HDV3
RAM -12gb samsung ddr3 1600mhz (offset i know, but 8gb and 4gb sticks same type and work flawless)
Monitor - Acer V246HL
HDD's- Barracuda 1tb 7200/64m/6.0-Barracuda 500gb 7200/16m/3.0 Samsung 350gb 7200/16m/3.0- Maxtor 5400/8mb/3.0
O.S. - Windows 8.1
8.1 notes...( Installed as standard MBR at first boot/card issue) (I updated it to see if it fixed issue)
OS try #2- Win 8.1 Now I have Fresh Reinstalled/updated to UEFI format due to finding forum posts saying this is the only kind of install the card works on (silly silly silly, 8.1 is 8.1 no matter how windows wants to load it) SMHIUD :/

So when all my parts were in hand I put it together feeling like a champ. Hit power and it all went great. System fired up, even tried to load old Windows install. So tinkerd and worked files around and installed Windows again. Worked! I went ahead and left install in its temp form and tested the system. I played games at 60fps SOLID, running load temps of 40-45c, surfed web, had numerous shut down/restarts that were fine, updated apps, hardware, bios, windows, all of it (man I felt like I had not missed a thing while away, I still had it). Through all this I found a Flaw, Windows chose to load Files to actual Drive I sent it too, but boot and system reserved went to 2 separate drives. THAT Made me test repair and recovery, both failed. So HAD to fix that b4 going too far and creating more work for myself down the road. So Apr 22nd I transfered files around again, Scanned and formatted all drives to MBR and installed Windows with only one drive hooked up too prevent the same error. OOPS!!!

Upon first boot I hear windows but have no picture at all. Switched to onboard and Video was there. So i have now proceeded through the following things (I KNOW I NEED TO PUT CARD INTO ANOTHER PC TO CHECK, I can not do this. I am new in town and have no person to ask this of. So my hands are tied here)

NOTE- NO overclocking done at all. No need running 60fps already.

Unhook everything and re hook and re seat (3 times) Always Checking 6 pin plug LAST...
Clean all slots with air
Cleaned board pins with soft eraser strokes
Hook only what i need to start
Checked on different PSU
Checked on different Monitor
Checked with different cables
Checked with ram 1 stick a time
Checked with old I3
Reflowed case wires swapping out what was used for different ones
Used every Bios available to F13
Updated chipset and windows
Changed bios setting around so much i had to use its reset feature (life saver there)
Found articles says EVGA card only works with UEFI, o Ok.
Reformat Hdd to GPT, Installed Windows fresh AGAIN in UEFI.
Updated chipset and Windows
Set board to proper Secure Boot (felt like I was not reading english anymore to finally do this)
Changed slot to look at PCI first
Messed with BiOs again till needed life saver
Updated Bios to latest, used f9-f13
Ran Driver Sweeper just in case
Started without card in then shut down and put it in
Plus more I am sure, last few days are a blur of fury and profanity.

When I boot into windows with card in socket and YES 6 pin in, it don't even show in device manager nor in hidden. I try to run driver installer but it fails saying no compatible hardware. This started on the 22nd, its now the 25th, I am tired, upset, and I am utterly at a loss (guess I don't still have it). I have done all but re configure the cards hardware with a hammer. I don't see any setting in bios i have not changed and tried so i think the card died. Sad but feels like it went to the great card gates in the sky. It was sold as used but hardly used and boy, it felt that way when it worked. So please, need help, ready to enjoy the rig i put so much into making.

Thanks!

27 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/25 11:28:03 (permalink)
    You checked on another PSU but was it a higher wattage PSU?

It sounds almost as if the BIOs is set for onboard video.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/25 12:19:11 (permalink)
    Maybe a faulty pci-e slot? Testing the card at a local computer repair shop is always an option.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/26 11:32:04 (permalink)
    Im not seeing what case you used, but sometimes the case slots can be a little off from the way the gpu card sits in the mobo and when you slot the card it wont sit quite right, even when the pci-e slot lock is engaged with the card. So you may have to push the card in a little farther, make sure your monitor lines aren't being stopped by the case slot also and try using just one pci-e slot thumbscrew instead of both to test the way it sits. Its the luck of the draw and sometimes you happen to get the odd man out. Ive had this happen quite a few times in recent years which im guessing is because of the tolerances and specs getting so tight on everything anymore.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/26 19:25:34 (permalink)
    Hey all. Just realized no email sent on reply. Sorry, thought I was not seen yet. Ok...

The PSU was old backup from dell xps 420. "Beast of a PC" but I would think it should work. Just in case i just hard wired a switch and used just its 6 pin on card n system in case. No fix. My current PS has ran the set up fine, I did not loose the card until I re formatted all drives and installed windows fresh in MBR format.
    Case, well...did not mention it cause it is nothing more that a Dremeled up hp 500-023w. Small...but Works for now, will be next upgrade if I get card sorted. But, card has ran fine in it.

Slot, yea...I rummaged through boxes, found old sapphire hd6xxx series pci2 card. Boots rite up. So used it to test onboard to off theory. No go, did not help. (Side note, I can not seem to make uefi boot without seeing it thou?)
    That leads me to believe board has changed things on numerous reboot of its own as I tinkerd settings up, then changed some key setting?(thank heavens i was aware enough for the double bios board.)

This really seems as if board has set itself for mbr, and not fixed a ueif-pci setting. I have changed things like opROM to ueif only and such but no card still. Have not messed with hardware keys but did see a PcI string. Afraid to delet strings, I Would think a flash or load defaults should work for that though. I tried both of those, no go.

Think I am gonna bread board basics so I can see what happens outside the case. Just in case it happens to be like someone stated.

It is either I need the bios for dummies book, or static killed card ( i am pretty careful, that would be my first EVER static death)

Thanks all for the replies. I am looking at bios switchable cards now, hard to determine which has the button and under 100(help?maybe :D). But my BrIgHt idea is, if old hd 6 series (legacy) can boot, a legacy switchable can to, so RMA this one, then re sell as refurbished to get most loot back. Out of options and wife n kids ready to send me to card gates in sky.
    post edited by Clearpullzz - 2017/04/26 19:36:30
    Poofu1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re: Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/27 17:20:56 (permalink)
    good luck
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/27 19:36:54 (permalink)
    Clearpullzz
    I am looking at bios switchable cards now, hard to determine which has the button and under 100(help?maybe :D).

http://event.msi.com/2014/vga/Hybrid_BIOS/

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127783 (this card has the hybrid switch)
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/28 06:08:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the links, I found that first one yesterday morning and after hitting up ebay sellers I found a nice guy whom tried to help me fix my issue first. Pretty cool. So in the end the EVGA is still a no go, and supposedly my bios is smart enough to switch view by its self. I ordered this card.... MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti GAMING DirectX 12 N750Ti TF 2GD5/OC 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16. I was assured it has the switch, plus he re sells from bulk buys, so he RMAs the cards first and lists as refurbished and offers a 180day manufacture warranty. I am happy and scared. Just want to be @ the end of this. Do not want to have same things happening once it arrives. On a positive note, I have the onboard I5 pushing rite @ 30fps in modern warfare 3 on dubbed to medium-ish settings.

So, this new card arrives. Should I just start again? Fresh wipe n install (without card) first? How do I properly set windows up for a card? Anybody know how to make sense of the gigabyte driver disk? Or a real way to do the driver order? At this point I say I am not doing something rite, need direction. Been round the web and lots of gigabyte users find themselves not knowing what comes first. Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best. Even thou I am going to MSI I will still look here for help first ;)
    post edited by Clearpullzz - 2017/04/28 06:11:13
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/28 06:48:10 (permalink)
    You shouldn't have to reinstall windows.

Driver order...

#1 Chipset driver. Reboot pc.
    #2 Driver install order after chipset driver installation doesn't matter.
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/28 11:11:40 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You shouldn't have to reinstall windows.

Driver order...

#1 Chipset driver. Reboot pc.
    #2 Driver install order after chipset driver installation doesn't matter.

Interesting. You say chipset then reboot, I do a mass install then a restart. So I have been wrong there I see. I wonder if that could cause this? Would not think so because it originally fired up my old os the first time. Weird. Will try n see.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/28 11:45:52 (permalink)
    You're suppose to reboot your computer after every driver install. Was the mass install the cause of your issue? I doubt it.
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/30 19:07:55 (permalink)
    Well big day tomorrow. Card listed as in local post office. Now that i am coming out of the black hole of chaos something like this creates. I do remember now why I chose the EVGA-FFW.

In the start, I put a a ton of time in reading and comparing the 750 series and (to what i think i understood) the FFW was a head above the rest. After this last refresher I believe I am taking a step or three back. Maybe someone whom understands the logic of cards better can clear my assumption up some. Is the FFW not the top of the class in 750's?
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/30 19:09:13 (permalink)
    No change @ all sadly. Guess I killed it with static. Will be trying the replacement once back for sure. I am as confused as you.
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/04/30 22:33:05 (permalink)
    Clearpullzz
    Well big day tomorrow. Card listed as in local post office. Now that i am coming out of the black hole of chaos something like this creates. I do remember now why I chose the EVGA-FFW.

In the start, I put a a ton of time in reading and comparing the 750 series and (to what i think i understood) the FFW was a head above the rest. After this last refresher I believe I am taking a step or three back. Maybe someone whom understands the logic of cards better can clear my assumption up some. Is the FFW not the top of the class in 750's?

For 750 model cards as long as it is a "Ti" model you're good. Ti models had the better graphics core in them. 

I believe you're thinking of EVGA "FTW" designations. The FTW models usually have the highest factory overclocks, but to be honest overclocks aren't going to matter much. The graphics chip is far more important.  

Have water, will cool. 
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/01 05:27:26 (permalink)
    kougar
    Clearpullzz

For 750 model cards as long as it is a "Ti" model you're good. Ti models had the better graphics core in them. 

I believe you're thinking of EVGA "FTW" designations. The FTW models usually have the highest factory overclocks, but to be honest overclocks aren't going to matter much. The graphics chip is far more important.  

Yea, thats the card i had to start this...er one i speak of with FFW. Ok, Thanks, that helps some. Seen some benchmarks showing the msi out performing the FFW. Just barely but it did it.
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/03 07:05:39 (permalink)
    Well. The new MSI is here. It installed just fine. Unit fired rite up on "what's needed only" startup. I then shut down and plugged it all up. Worked! I have not tried second switch setting, I assume it will work too. So it looks like I static killed the EVGA or being used, it decided to die the same time I did other things. I DID SEE SOME screen flickering the day B4 the work inside the case. Just did not add it together untill last night when reading on signs of dying GPU's. So I am Not sure of what happened. The replacement is on the way (no they did not provide any info on what happened or what they found :/ ), and even though my family is insisting I not install it, I don't think I will be able to resist the demons. I have to know I am not crazy. I may not be a trained IT tech, but I come from a long line of PC programmers, and it is in my DNA. Also, it can be rewarding when you do it rite, after this, I could use the pep to my damaged ego. LoL!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/03 07:19:50 (permalink)

Let us know how the evga card works when you get it back from rma. Does the msi card work on both vbioses or only the legacy vbios?
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/04 00:41:46 (permalink)
    Sajin

Let us know how the evga card works when you get it back from rma. Does the msi card work on both vbioses or only the legacy vbios?

I will switch it over tonight and let you know. I also got in touch with EVGA today. They said to contact them in two weeks to get a report on returned card tests/findings. I will drop those results here too once I have them. My hope is that maybe through all of this it can help people in the future.
    post edited by Clearpullzz - 2017/05/04 01:09:41
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/04 08:10:14 (permalink)
    Clearpullzz
    Sajin

I will switch it over tonight and let you know. I also got in touch with EVGA today. They said to contact them in two weeks to get a report on returned card tests/findings. I will drop those results here too once I have them. My hope is that maybe through all of this it can help people in the future.

Looking forward to your update. 
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/05 17:55:35 (permalink)
    Ok well here it is.

I just shut it down, popped case side off and tried. Wouldn't you know....it fired rite up, Just checked BIOS and sure enough... as someone told me...the Gigabyte B75m-d3v ver.1.1 was smart enough to change its UEFI setting to only use legacy PCI. So now it is down to 2 possibilities.

1) The 6 pin is shot on my main PSU. ( this one I doubt. I tried another CPU on bare bone setup, and I did a hardwire Power switch to a second PSU using just the 6 pin for card while main PSU ran everything else. Neither worked.)

2) The card died, either randomly or From Static (Hard to believe static, I use a "extra finger as a tripod" method on surrounding metal (My Fathers trick he passed down) or keep off hand on case metal at all times. I never touch interior without keeping a solid ground.)

My diagnosis/opinion : The card was heavily OC'd by the previous owner and it finally died once I owned it.

Either way, I spent days trying to fix something that was now quite possibly, Un-Fixable :( O' Well. We live and we learn (I am sure my dad got a good laugh or two looking down on me ;)...). It has defiantly got me curious enough to try the replacement now. @ least to rule out the 6 pin theory. I really can not wait to get the report back from EVGA. I truly think the flickering I seen the day before all of this was the card on life support. The usage of the power button after the interior case work added with the on/off charge function of the board kicking in with power cord re-installation is what finished it.

The New EVGA - FFW is due here Monday. I will let you know how it goes once I get time to swap them out during the week. I will also post all information I get back from EVGA when it is sent. THANKS again for all the time you gave trying to help. I will pay your kindness forward 10 fold.
    post edited by Clearpullzz - 2017/05/06 07:42:13
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/05 17:59:09 (permalink)
    No problem. Report back when you get the new FFW installed. 
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/08 18:43:48 (permalink)
    Hello again. Well the EVGA 750ti FFW is back. They sent me a brand new card. Not a speck of dust on it. I just snapped it into place and sure enough it fired rite up. Also, the BIOS changed settings on its own again. So now I know 6 pin is fine, I do have a concern/theory about the on/off charge function of the board. It seems to miss fire at times because twice now as I re insert the power cable I have witnessed a complete fan/hd spin up. I am not 100 percent sure but I think if you have any near dead components inside your case and that function enabled you could be toying with a sudden death situation. Like I said, just a theory but what I just seen happen is not good at all. Inside drew so much juice that I heard the HD's spin up, seen all the fans spin, and lights on fans turn on.
    I will post the results from the RMA once they come back. I hope it shows this theory to be plausible some how. But for now the old EVGA was dead, yea the fans spun and all that good stuff but no picture @ all. It was dead.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/08 18:59:17 (permalink)
    Glad to hear the new card is working. 
    Snake7
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/09 23:41:00 (permalink)
    problem solved and pc running - that i would call a good day.
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/11 05:48:02 (permalink)
    Snake7
    problem solved and pc running - that i would call a good day.

How right you are. Running like a champ again.
    bufurd_T
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/15 19:30:06 (permalink)
    Glad you are back in the game
    Clearpullzz
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/19 07:59:33 (permalink)
    Hello. Well got my reply from EVGA about old FFW results. There was no detailed report
    They simply said it failed testing. So I assume that means dead. There we have it. Card died somehow. No real answer on how, but plenty of things mentioned in this thread that could be the culprit. Hopefully this all helps someone out there. Thanks again for all the help.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: black screen, I Feel like a rookie again :( 2017/05/19 08:09:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile