EVGA

AnsweredSC17 Chassis Temperatures under load?

Author
SierraEx
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/17 07:30:56 (permalink)
Seems as though there is very little reviews out there for this laptop, even the older 980m varient didn't seem to get a lot of love when it came to reviews.

I'm looking at upgrading my current laptop in the next few months and I fell in love with the SC17s clean design. the one thing that concerns me, and this is just with all gaming laptops in general is the chassis temperature while gaming. My current laptop is not too bad about it, i don't have any real way on testing it since i don't have an IR sensor. before i drop quite a lot of money on said laptop i want to make sure it's actually going to suit me. Anyone who currently has one, how would you say the feel of the wrist rest and keyboard are while under load? and what options do i have to bring the temperatures down if i feel they are too hot? I've seen there is a way to set a manual fan curve, so that might just be enough.

I'm talking actual gaming temperatures not the synthetic 100% usage benchmarks that are completely unrealistic.
AsimY
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: SC17 Chassis Temperatures under load? 2017/04/19 05:45:09 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby SierraEx 2017/04/19 05:51:46
I have one so i might be able to give a little insight, you should forget about having a cool running laptop whilst gaming because that's not going to happen unless you stick a tower and monitor together and call it a laptop.

The Sc 17 gets to around ( 75-80 degrees on the gpu and 60-70 degrees on the cpu) at load during an intense game like mass effect Andromeda at 4k ultra preset with AA on, but it still manages around 30fps. I'm more of a controller gamer myself but i have played a few games with the keyboard and it doesn't feel that hot at all as the heat is mainly directed near the CPU and GPU. You could probably bring the temps down by playing at say 1920x1080 instead of 4k.

I would say the pros of this laptop are: its very thin, its pretty quiet compared with the competition, good performance at 4k, desktop gpu, nice and sharp 4k ips screen, EVGA customer service is pretty good, you can upgrade the hard drives and ram without voiding warranty

the cons are: quite expensive, you only get a 256gb ssd and 1tb hdd , built in wifi adapter could be better
SierraEx
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: SC17 Chassis Temperatures under load? 2017/04/19 05:51:09 (permalink)
thanks for the reply AsimY

The component temps are about the same as my current laptop, so im not over concerned about that. Does the fan boost decrease the chassis temp? Again, my current laptop has the ability to push the fans  RPM up all the way and it keeps everything rather cool. but its hella loud without headphones (which i always wear while gaming anyway), then the temps feel like it's running at idle.

Have you tried to run games at 1080p instead of 4k? it seem like a common complaint that it looks fuzzy on a lot of monitors, however i've heard that what ever one is used in the SC17 does the downscaling very well
AsimY
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: SC17 Chassis Temperatures under load? 2017/04/25 09:48:38 (permalink)
SierraEx
thanks for the reply AsimY

The component temps are about the same as my current laptop, so im not over concerned about that. Does the fan boost decrease the chassis temp? Again, my current laptop has the ability to push the fans  RPM up all the way and it keeps everything rather cool. but its hella loud without headphones (which i always wear while gaming anyway), then the temps feel like it's running at idle.

Have you tried to run games at 1080p instead of 4k? it seem like a common complaint that it looks fuzzy on a lot of monitors, however i've heard that what ever one is used in the SC17 does the downscaling very well

I would have to compare with a native 1080p monitor, but from playing mass effect andromeda on 1200p, and rainbow six siege on 1080p i didn't notice any fuzziness and it still looks decent. The most noticeable thing would be  is the loss of sharpness going from 4k to 1080p. 
Tech_RayH
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 834
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: SC17 Chassis Temperatures under load? 2017/04/25 10:00:12 (permalink)
https://www.notebookcheck.net/EVGA-SC17-GTX-1070-Notebook-Review.184533.0.html

This review has thermal information

post edited by EVGATech_RayH - 2017/04/25 10:05:13

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
- Adlai E. Stevenson

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile