EVGA

Nostalgic troubleshooting (Wrong temps in x58 SLI3 with X5660)

Author
f.sardis
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/07 15:18:16 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

I recently recommissioned my trusty x58 SLI3 system which has an i7-920 D0 and an antique HD3870 along with 12GB (6x2GB) Corsair value RAM at 1333MHz.
All was well and good and overclocked my 920 to 3.5Ghz stable last night with temps around 56c reported by eLEET utility and Intel XTU.
Today I got my hands on a Xeon X5660 which is a hex-core so I installed it in the system and everything went beautifully in terms of performance however the temps have gone crazy. The BIOS reports a CPU temp of 5c and the eLEET and XTU are reporting under Prime95 somewhere around 38c on stock speeds.
Granted the room temperature is 24c, something is not working properly here. So I decided to reseat the CPU in the socket after first checking all the pins and giving it a dusting with compressed air, rebooted the system and nothing changed.
Note that I am on air cooling with a PH-TC14PE (two fans) set to max speed at all times in the BIOS (mainly because I don't want to overheat due to bad temp reading).

I am running the latest BIOS which is supposed to support the X5660 so there are only two possibilities that I see. Either bad CPU sensor (I got the CPU from ebay but it was in a Dell workstation before) or EVGA never made a proper BIOS for Xeons although they show the CPU as supported on the SLI3.
Also note that even though all CPUs are fully loaded by Prime95 and eLEET and XTU report max speed of 3.05GHz, the XTU shows each core running at 2.3GHz

Any thoughts on the subject and ideas on what else I could try? I am looking forward to overclocking it again but I don't want to do so without temp sensors working properly.

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

delta7
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 457
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Nostalgic troubleshooting (Wrong temps in x58 SLI3 with X5660) 2017/04/08 09:56:39 (permalink)
    I've put a xeon x5680 and a w3680 in 2 different sli3's. Both had the same results as what you are describing. One cold winter morning the one with x5680 showed 0 degrees C on the motherboard readout. Room temp was was about 60F.  I think it might be something off in the bios for reading the sensor in the xeons. 

f.sardis
    • Total Posts : 13
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nostalgic troubleshooting (Wrong temps in x58 SLI3 with X5660) 2017/04/08 11:34:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for letting me know. I spent two days looking on google for similar problems. I suppose the easy fix it to change the fan profiles in the bios between 5c (off) and 30c (max rpm). At least I won't have to run the CPU fans 100% all the time anymore. The heatsink feels really cool to the touch and barely warm at the base. The area behind the CPU is barely warm also even during Prime95 so it is definitely cooled just fine.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile