EVGA

Client Settings for 2 old PCs

Author
Kevin_Herren
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/06 00:31:45 (permalink)
I have two older Windows XP desktop computers that I have gotten from my parents house after I built them a new computer to use. On Sunday I figured out how to add them to my network under static IPs and connect them to my main desktop for monitoring in the V7 software. Setting up my first "folding farm" was pretty cool that I could figure it out. My problem is this: I am not sure how to configure them in order to contribute the best I can. They have been folding the past two days and take about 1-2 days to complete a WU. One has gotten a WU that it cannot finish before the timeout time. It spent most of the day to only get to about 10% completion and still the ETA was 6.4 days.
Can someone show me the proper V7 flags to input for this machine to get WUs it can complete before the timeout deadline? I don't want to waste all my electricity on a WU that wont even be relevant by the time it finishes. I did have the max-packet-size flag with the value of 'small' but I checked the log after it downloaded a new unit and the unit was much bigger than the 5MB maximum. Also there is a client type flag and I know there is an 'advanced' value but is there another value that might help with older single core processors?

The stats for both machines are very similar but the one I'm more focused on right now has this:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
Memory: 1.94 GB
I also have the latest V7.4.4 F@H software installed on all my machines. I have been folding off and on based on the time of year since about 2011 so I am comfortable with the software just need some helps on the older machines.

11 Replies Related Threads

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 01:10:30 (permalink)
    You did the right thing setting it to small. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
    But I do not think there is much more to do. That PC is so old and outdated.
    Most folders even with 6 core 3930K at 4.4ghz do not fold CPU SMP units because it is not worth the electric.
    You maybe able to crunch a BOINC WCG task in time, looking for cures for cancer and such.
    But even then I would not bother with a system like that.
    Can you put a more modern GPU like a GTX750 or GTX970 or something of that sort you can buy used cheap?
    Many of us fold with GPUs and crunch BOINC with the CPUs. GPU folding is the way to go

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Mhertz
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 01:17:57 (permalink)
    The old AMD 64 CPU+ chips are only single core and they can't complete WU's before the deadline.  You could try the Chrome client but your numbers would still look like 2004. 
    Kevin_Herren
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 08:32:14 (permalink)
    bill1024
    You did the right thing setting it to small. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
    But I do not think there is much more to do. That PC is so old and outdated.
    Most folders even with 6 core 3930K at 4.4ghz do not fold CPU SMP units because it is not worth the electric.
    You maybe able to crunch a BOINC WCG task in time, looking for cures for cancer and such.
    But even then I would not bother with a system like that.
    Can you put a more modern GPU like a GTX750 or GTX970 or something of that sort you can buy used cheap?
    Many of us fold with GPUs and crunch BOINC with the CPUs. GPU folding is the way to go

Some day I plan to just cannibalize them and but all new insides in them. However for now I still want to try and use them for a little while. I have thought about buy a few cheap GPUs to drop in them but I'm not sure if there are many that will still work with XP that will but alright to purchase. I don't want to buy some super old card just for it to work with XP then have it depreciated for folding in like a year or less. If I knew that the OS doesn't matter I'd buy like a GTX 1050 and pop in since it can use a lot less power and still work some pretty good units.

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 11:27:57 (permalink)
    Keep in mind you have to complete 9 of 10 WUs to keep getting the quick return bonus.
    You get the QRB with the folding key you got from Stanford.
    The faster you return a WU the more points you receive with the bonus.
    If you can not complete 9 of 10 you will have to complete 100% for a while to get the bonus back.
    Also it hurts the science when you can not complete or delete a WU.
    It has expire and be resent to someone else to finish.
    You can get an OEM Win7 pro key for 10$ and use it for win10 install.
    MS is still letting people install win10 with a win7 key for free.
    Good luck  with what ever you do.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 11:58:11 (permalink)
    I thought Win XP was no longer supported / usable for Folding ?

GPU folding is the way to go  PPD/watts

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Kevin_Herren
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 12:04:01 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    I thought Win XP was no longer supported / usable for Folding ?

GPU folding is the way to go  PPD/watts

Works on both of these old XP desktops so far still. Any recommendation on a cheap GPU to drop in there to use instead of the old CPUs?

DutchForce
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2341
    • Ribbons : 52
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 12:34:51 (permalink)
    Although CPU folding is still possible on Win XP, GPU folding on Win XP is Very limited supported and you will probably not getting GPU work units assigned anymore.
    FAHCore21 projects do Not work on Win XP (and these are the majority of the GPU work units), only Core17 and 18 projects can run on Win XP and there are not many WUs anymore. I had to shutdown my Win XP system (with two GTX780 Ti's) in July last year, because I did not get work assigned anymore.

Folding Rig: Lian-Li PC-P50 | Corsair HX850 | MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD X4-965 BE | GTX980 Ti SC & GTX1070 SC
    nathan_P
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 359
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 13:38:42 (permalink)
    I think either GPU with a version of Linux as the OS or run the nacl client if it will work on xp.  The cpu's just don't have enough grunt these days to run a cpu WU

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 13:57:29 (permalink)
    One other thing to consider, what PSU is in there. Will it be enough for a modern GPU?

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 17:39:40 (permalink)
    Smithwessen
    Works on both of these old XP desktops so far still. Any recommendation on a cheap GPU to drop in there to use instead of the old CPUs?

Before you buy a GPU you had better make sure it's a PCIe motherboard. Odds are you have an AGP graphics slot in which case there is nothing you can buy to fold on anymore. GTX 400 series are the oldest NVIDIA cards still supported for folding and those are PCIe only. Even a GTX 480 folds poorly (I would know) and a Ryzen CPU can out fold it for half the power draw.  Even if your motherboard was PCIe, I do not think the PSUs could supply that much power. 

The electricity costs to running that old a system are never going to be remotely worth it. While I strongly understand (and share) your desire to keep using old rigs until they wear out, this is one of those cases there the systems are too old for any practical use. 
    post edited by kougar - 2017/04/06 17:42:50

Have water, will cool. 
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Client Settings for 2 old PCs 2017/04/06 19:46:12 (permalink)
    I don't think you can get core21 at all on win XP. They are 64 bit processes. Not sure about core 18.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile