EVGA

oh dear, x99 classy BIOS update issues

Author
matt_d
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/04 03:39:02 (permalink)
So, I've gotten another 5960x CPU for my x99 classy (151-HE-E999).  It was running one in the past but has been empty for ~12 months.
System had been flawless up until then, but I planned a 6950x upgrade that didn't work out.

New CPU arrives, plug it in, boot up and straight to UEFI v1.19 no problems.  Since its been idle for a year, I decide to update the board before reinstalling windows and putting the system back into use.

Download "E999_flashtool_203.zip"
Format USB drive in FAT32, copy contents of zip to it, making sure 1E999203.bin is in the root.

Use the BIOS Installation method
(*Extract the contents of .zip file to USB flash drive (must be formatted as FAT32)
*Reboot the machine and go into the system BIOS
*From the BIOS, navigate to the Save & Exit tab and open "Select BIOS File."
*Select the .bin file you wish to flash.)
All seems to go well, flash proceeds and system shuts down.  I power it back up and nothing.  No post beeps, no video.  It shuts down itself after a minute or two.
I power it back up, watching the debug LEDs - proceeds through to 95 (PCI Bus Request Resources), when the CATERR_LED lights and the board powers down shortly after.

I try UEFI #2 & #3 (no idea what version they are, never used them before) and both have the same result - debug code 67 (CPU DXE initialization (CPU module specific).

There's not much plugged in, no OS or drives because it won't POST, have tried both original TITAN VGA card and 610 series VGA card in slots #1 and #4 with no change to the behavior - except for the CATERR_LED doesn't light when cards are in slots other than #1.
Have unplugged ALL USB peripherals.
CPU = Intel i7-5960x (stock clocks).
PSU = Corsair AX860i
RAM = Kingston HyperX FURY HX426C15FBK4/32 (4x8GB, DDR4-2666Hz, Unbuffered, CL15, 1.2v) Tested each stick individually, no change.  Board knows when no stick is plugged in (UEFI #1 = boot loop, UEFI #2 & #3 = stops on debug error 53).
Cooler = Corsair H105i.  Have removed it, removed & reseated the CPU, replaced the head and lightly clamped it down.

Have tried multiple BIOS resets using both the onboard and back panel buttons.  Many short presses and count-10-seconds presses.
Have pulled the battery now and will let the system sit overnight.

Further suggestions?  Something I've overlooked?  More information I can provide?

4 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: oh dear, x99 classy BIOS update issues 2017/04/04 03:44:01 (permalink)
    Check the CPU's socket in case there are any pins bent.

Make sure you use the proper screws with the H105i as they can come with different lengths for different platforms.

Other than that, it could some how be your MB or CPU.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    matt_d
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: oh dear, x99 classy BIOS update issues 2017/04/04 04:16:55 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauerCheck the CPU's socket in case there are any pins bent.

Done, all good.

GTXJackBauerMake sure you use the proper screws with the H105i as they can come with different lengths for different platforms.

Their 2011 hardware is entirely unique (screws into the socket).  Its just not possible to use the wrong kit.

GTXJackBauerOther than that, it could some how be your MB or CPU.

The system only sat in UEFI with the new chip for 5-10 minutes before flashing, so I'm kind of presuming everything is good and this is the result of a bad flash.
    Not sure if the #2 and #3 UEFI versions are too old to support 5960x?  (was there ever a UEFI version that didn't?)

Is there a recovery/force flash method?

Will pillage a different PSU out of another system in the morning just to tick that box.
    Also checking with local enthusasist group to see if anyone has a 2011-3 chip they'd let me test with.

cheers
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: oh dear, x99 classy BIOS update issues 2017/04/04 06:10:47 (permalink)
    If you can't get it to work by clearing the CMOS, I would contact EVGA about getting a (free! Wohoo!) removable BIOS chip. That's the great thing about most EVGA motherboards - a replaceable third BIOS.

They are very small, so be careful!.
    HarryD
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1158
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: oh dear, x99 classy BIOS update issues 2017/04/07 02:38:55 (permalink)
    matt_d

The system only sat in UEFI with the new chip for 5-10 minutes before flashing, so I'm kind of presuming everything is good and this is the result of a bad flash.
    Not sure if the #2 and #3 UEFI versions are too old to support 5960x?  (was there ever a UEFI version that didn't?)

My motherboard supported 5960X right out of the box. I think the original BIOS version was 1.07 or 1.09 when I bought it. I still have the original version on BIOS #3, a slightly newer version is on BIOS #2 and the latest and greatest is on BIOS #1. This is one of my favorite features when it comes to the X99 Classified.

EDit: BIOS #1 is v2.04, BIOS #2 is v2.02, BIOS #3 v1.09
    post edited by HarryD - 2017/04/09 03:05:00

EVGA X99 Classified
    Intel i7-5960X
    64GB Corsair Dominator 2400MHz DDR4

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile