EVGA

Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up

Author
entrenous
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/03 10:24:01 (permalink)

Hello everyone...

I'm having a very unique issue and I believe it's related to this software (at least it started happening when I started to use Precision XOC.

To start off I never adjusted the gpu or power % on the program.  I did find it weird my 1080 Ti FE was showing a 1835 gpu clock while gaming in Precision X when the boost gpu clock was only 1535, but my temps were always normal.

But I did try out the K-boost once.... but anyways.... now when I restart my computer, my monitor (Acer x34 Predator) flashes blackish screens 2-3 times prior to showing the Asus bios prompt and spams the "DP" icon (display port) then flashes 4-5 more times with the DP icon prior to the Windows loading screen, then again flashes 2-3 times when entering windows with the "DP" icon.

I have literally tried everything and still no dice.  I've tried different DP cables, reset everything to default factory conditions.  Removed my video card and re-inserted it.  Installed the 2 different 1080 Ti driver versions.  I even formatted my entire computer to completely remove Precision X's whatever, and it still persists. 

Once I'm in Windows 10 everything is normal.  But every restart makes me feel like something is wrong.  I do want to mention on 1 specific restart I got a error and the bios prompt stating it couldn't start because of overclocking (but nothing on my computer was overlocked).  So it's very strange to say the least.

Another issue is while in Windows, if I switch the input to HDMI, then switch it back to DP, it will not go back and says no signal (when before I was able to switch it back to DP and it worked fine).

I guess my question is, does Precision X modify the gpu or gpu bios in any way?  Since I've tried everything, is there a way to reset the BIOS if Precision X does change anything?  Or does anyone know of a way to fix the issue?  I'm guessing my problem is very unique since it's not game breaking, but it definitely feels like something is wrong and it started happening after I installed the software.

My system (nothing is overlocked)-

i7 6800k
Asus x99-II
32 GB 2400 DDR4
SSD HD
EVGA 1080 Ti Founders Edition (Step up from a 1080 FTW)
850W PSU
Windows 10 64-bit 

Thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/03 10:38:02 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum entrenous

What Version of Precision XOC are you running?
    When you replace your Card did you remove the Drivers and Software and Run DDU in Safe Mode before you changed Cards?
    Have to Re-Set the MB Bios and even update the Bios on your Motherboard?
    At Least Re-Set the MB Bios to the Default or Optimized Setting and Force a PCIe Lane Re-Read?
    Under Device Manager under Monitors do you see your Monitors or a Generic Monitor?
    If Generic Monitor the Run DDU and set the Auto Driver updates back to the Default and restart your computer and then right click on the Generic Monitor and update it so that it shows what monitors you do have.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/04/03 10:45:18

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/03 10:44:30 (permalink)
    First and foremost, you need to read about gpuboost 3.0 so you can understand why your card is at 1835. That isnt a precision x thing.

Precision should not make any changes, unless it is open. Best bet is to remove it and clean the registry that it has, just in case.
    entrenous
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/03 12:24:37 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Welcome to the Forum

What Version of Precision XOC are you running?
    When you replace your Card did you remove the Drivers and Software and Run DDU in Safe Mode before you changed Cards?
    Have to Re-Set the MB Bios and even update the Bios on your Motherboard?
    At Least Re-Set the MB Bios to the Default or Optimized Setting and Force a PCIe Lane Re-Read?
    Under Device Manager under Monitors do you see your Monitors or a Generic Monitor?
    If Generic Monitor the Run DDU and set the Auto Driver updates back to the Default and restart your computer and then right click on the Generic Monitor and update it so that it shows what monitors you do have.

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm using version 6.1.2 (the Steam version).  I didn't run DDU but I did format my entire hardrive, so it's a brand new fresh install of everything.  My BIOS is up to date with the latest and I have loaded all optimized MB default settings.  I tried to reset the jumper but I could not find it on my mother board (it's not where it should be as the manual shows (asus x99-a II 2011v3)  My device manage says my monitor brand and name. 

I have not done a PCIe Lane Re-Read, which I'm not sure how but I can look it up.

The biggest head scratcher is my computer would boot up fine even before I installed Precision XOC.  After I replaced my 1080 with the 1080 Ti FE it booted fine.  Only after using Precision X the flashes at start up began.  And even after I loaded all bios defaults, full format, my screen still flashes like crazy when booting up. 

Is there anything else I can try?  As I mentioned, once it boots into Windows, everything seems fine (except if I accidently switch the input I can't switch it back, like it can't re-detect my display port). 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/03 23:04:13 (permalink)
    Do your other dp outputs have the same issue? Are your dp cables vesa certified?
    entrenous
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/06 09:22:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your quick replies and help.

All the DP outputs on the back provide the same flashes.  However.... I did purchase a VESA certified cable (just to make sure it was VESA certified), and I reinstalled (after my fresh format and mobo reset) Precision X and just tried app stock settings just in case (I also need a custom fan curve, these FE's just get way too hot for my liking).

And it got a lot better.  Now I'll get a flash with the DP logo displayed when turning it on, once or twice right when the windows logo comes up, then once again when entering windows.

I can't remember if that's how it was prior to this, but I'm almost sure it only flashed once with "DP" when starting my computer and not 3 times (at power on, windows loading and then when I get into windows).  But it's a lot better than 4-5 times after each screen iteration and boot up.

I just don't know what else to even try, as I said, absolutely nothing was OC'ed, I didn't even touch the clock speeds on Precision X, I only wanted to setup a custom fan curve.

Thanks again everyone.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/06 15:25:04 (permalink)

entrenous
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/07 21:34:42 (permalink)
    Well looks like I was wrong - my comp booted so fast after my fresh install it didn't get a chance to flash it up. After switching to an HDMI cable the problem goes away, it's only with the DP cables where my screen flashes like 4 times at the asus logo, 5 times before the window load screen and 3 times into windows.....

I'm seriously at a loss - did precision x change my 1080 bios? Is there a way to flash 1080 Ti's FE's back to default as a last resort? I'm just stuck now....
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/07 22:11:22 (permalink)
    The dp ports are most likely the problem. Tech support should be able to help you reflash the card. Give them a call... http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    entrenous
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/07 22:45:29 (permalink)
    Will do, as added measure I flashed my MB bios to the most recent, reset my monitor to stock 60hz and 50hz and tried both, (I have an acer x34 predator and had it overlooked to 90 hz when I installed precision x and the flashes started) - as I mentioned it was booting up fine before precision x was installed - would that cause all the DP ports on the back to go bad? Or is it just a crazy coincidence?

Lastly I tried hitting the default button on precision x and it sometimes flashes my screen twice and adds a custom resolution of 50 hz which is usually adds after when I switch the DP port on the back

Thanks
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/07 23:06:48 (permalink)
    Running higher hz on your monitor isn't going to cause the dp ports to go bad. Running higher hz than your monitor can handle could cause the screen to flash on and off like you're describing.
    entrenous
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/08 01:06:46 (permalink)
    Right, my monitor is rated up to 100hz overclockable (60hz default) but prior to precision x install everything was fine. But even so, after running everything at 60 and 50hz my screen still flashes like crazy at startup.

Which is why I'm curious if the program did something to my gpu bios when I first ran it when it was overclocked to 90hz.

Because I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem and after trying multiple DP cables in all 3 DP ports, having my hdmi port work fine, fresh Mb bios flash, fresh windows format, running at default hz and lower, uninstalling and reinstalling precision x at multiple refresh rates (just to rule out everything), etc....

The only thing I can think of that is left is my gpu bios got screwed - I'll give evga a call and pray they can help....

And ty again for your time
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Precision X permanently change your video card? Having display port issues at boot up 2017/04/08 01:14:07 (permalink)
    No problem. Hope the reflash helps.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile