EVGA

Getting around the power draw limit

Author
the1320god68
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/24 09:14:04 (permalink)
I've been looking around the web but haven't really found a way to get around the power limit on the 1080 Ti cards. I see the cards throttle a lot during benching once it reaches 120% as I'm sure all do. Is there a way around this or are we just stuck with it? Cards seen to have way more in them.... Thanks.

14 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 09:17:50 (permalink)
    the1320god68
    I've been looking around the web but haven't really found a way to get around the power limit on the 1080 Ti cards. I see the cards throttle a lot during benching once it reaches 120% as I'm sure all do. Is there a way around this or are we just stuck with it? Cards seen to have way more in them.... Thanks.

Without electrically modifying the GPU to think it is drawing less power (ala King Pin and others) we're stuck with it.  I'd go even further and say this is likely another small but important change from the Pacal TITAN: Limited power and voltage via the BIOS. As of now, nobody has cracked the cert for the BIOS...so we can't go that route. It can't be 'accidental' that nearly everyone is reporting a 'stable OC' of 2050mhz.....At least that is my  impression from reading around the web and the results people are getting on the AIB FE models.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

the1320god68
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 09:34:08 (permalink)
    Well that's no fun...lol. I did find a video on "how to" overvolt the cards but makes no scene to do as it would just draw MORE power... Sucks as I've got 2 of these under water, and I can only get 2063MHz but with lots of "power limit". I just feel there's way more head room and they made it "safe" which limits us all...

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 09:38:01 (permalink)
    Got to love Nvidia Boost 3.0, its automatic balancing of temps, clocks and wattage

Keeping your card cold as possible is the only way to get the max MHz

Or as HeavyHemi said, you have to make extreme changes to the board - can you say Warranty Void

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the1320god68
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 10:07:39 (permalink)
    Mine don't go above 50C... more around 41-44C while gaming. So yeah I love Nvidia Boost 3.0 lol. Is there any "how to" on what Kingpin or others actually do to there cards?

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 10:21:34 (permalink)
    the1320god68
    Mine don't go above 50C... more around 41-44C while gaming. So yeah I love Nvidia Boost 3.0 lol. Is there any "how to" on what Kingpin or others actually do to there cards?

Yes...there is...

http://forum.kingpincooli.../showthread.php?t=3961

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 10:23:57 (permalink)
    Check this thread, some basic coverage
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2633513

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Nitemare3219
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 797
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 10:51:36 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Got to love Nvidia Boost 3.0, its automatic balancing of temps, clocks and wattage

Or as HeavyHemi said, you have to make extreme changes to the board - can you say Warranty Void

You do not have to make "extreme changes" to the board. Shorting out the top 2 shunt resistors effectively removes ANY power limit throttling you could possibly have under water cooling and is very easy to do. Doing this kind of mod is not going to give you crazy overclocking headroom though... basically none at all, only stabilizes your core clock if you are not exceed temp. threshold, but are hitting power limit threshold.

MSI X570 Tomahawk | Ryzen 5800X | Samsung 980 Pro | 32GB Trident Z Neo | RTX 3090
     Obsidian 5000D | SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 48" C1 4K LG OLED | Naga | G915 TKL | Sennheiser HD 800 S | Grace m9XX
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 11:46:47 (permalink)
    Nitemare3219
    Cool GTX

You do not have to make "extreme changes" to the board. Shorting out the top 2 shunt resistors effectively removes ANY power limit throttling you could possibly have under water cooling and is very easy to do. Doing this kind of mod is not going to give you crazy overclocking headroom though... basically none at all, only stabilizes your core clock if you are not exceed temp. threshold, but are hitting power limit threshold.

From the kingpin forums...

You can find current shunts which are marked *RS1, RS2, RS3* on PCB with black resistive element in center and often with R002 or R005 or 2M0/5M0 mark on top. Sometimes there are no marks, but look is always very similar, like a large rectangular flat part with two or four wide metal terminals. Usually these shunts are located very close to input power connectors before the main VRM circuitry. If we manage to reduce voltage signal (which is in linear dependance from current) from these shunts, then reported power limit will be reduced as well. Don't do anything with these shunts, just understand what they are for. Common "modifications" like applying liquid metal paste or using pencil are bad idea, as they do not provide reliable and static resistance change. Pascal cards have also protection against under-reporting, meaning that GPU will be stuck in low power state if reported power is zero or around that.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 11:52:59 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Nitemare3219
    Cool GTX

From the kingpin forums...

You can find current shunts which are marked *RS1, RS2, RS3* on PCB with black resistive element in center and often with R002 or R005 or 2M0/5M0 mark on top. Sometimes there are no marks, but look is always very similar, like a large rectangular flat part with two or four wide metal terminals. Usually these shunts are located very close to input power connectors before the main VRM circuitry. If we manage to reduce voltage signal (which is in linear dependance from current) from these shunts, then reported power limit will be reduced as well. Don't do anything with these shunts, just understand what they are for. Common "modifications" like applying liquid metal paste or using pencil are bad idea, as they do not provide reliable and static resistance change. Pascal cards have also protection against under-reporting, meaning that GPU will be stuck in low power state if reported power is zero or around that.

At least someone read the uncorking guide all the way through and paid attention to this.

Glad sajin posted the rebuttal before I came in, because i knew someone would automatically throw this out without reading all the way through, or they would ignore the most important detail.. the one where nvidia out smarted the masses that use to do this.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/03/24 11:55:01
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 12:02:21 (permalink)
    "extreme changes" = Warranty Void in my book on a new GPU

the1320god68
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 15:07:09 (permalink)
    Nitemare3219
    Cool GTX

And that is exactly what is happening to me.... just might have to give it a try.  I know one shunt is by the pci power connectors,
    post edited by the1320god68 - 2017/03/24 15:10:23

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 15:22:04 (permalink)
    the1320god68
    Nitemare3219
    Cool GTX

And that is exactly what is happening to me.... just might have to give it a try.  I know one shunt is by the pci power connectors,

There's a link earlier (which I'm reposting) to the *correct* method of doing this. Simply shorting the shunt resistors, will not work.

the1320god68
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 15:57:03 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    the1320god68
    Nitemare3219
    Cool GTX

There's a link earlier (which I'm reposting) to the *correct* method of doing this. Simply shorting the shunt resistors, will not work.

All that just to get a little more out of your cards..... Nvidia sux lol. Wow.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Getting around the power draw limit 2017/03/24 15:59:42 (permalink)
    the1320god68
    HeavyHemi

All that just to get a little more out of your cards..... Nvidia sux lol. Wow.

NVidia is getting wise at this point. Last generation they started getting better at locking it down with the bios, and the bios mods were worked around. Now, they hard wired the fixes lol.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile