EVGA

ICX upgrade question

Author
jduncan569
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/23 06:52:40 (permalink)
The joy of being buried at work is that I missed the boat.  What are the chances they will be offering this again?  Is there any particular reason they didn't send any email notifications to existing registered owners of the eligible cards to let them know this was even an option?

Sad panda is sad. :(

Referring to this if the post is not clear:  http://www.evga.com/icxupgrade/

10 Replies Related Threads

Armourer Dave
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/23 07:26:07 (permalink)
    Sorry man, you're out of luck. There's no harm in emailing them, they may say yes, they may say no.... but without asking you'll never know.

"The iCX Upgrade Program begins on February 10, 2017, and lasts for a limited time, until February 28, 2017. Dates subject to change without notice."
    The_Ninjak
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 170
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/23 07:28:24 (permalink)
    I received email about the upgrade back on Feb 10.  It was titled EVGA iCX Technology.  While the beginning of the email was describing the cooler and sensors, it then said:

I'm sorry to hear you missed out, but I'm pretty sure this was a one-time-only thing.  If such a thing were to occur again, perhaps it'd be for an eventual iCX successor.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 | Cooler Master MasterCase H500M
    500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro NVMe | 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND SSD

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/23 07:52:19 (permalink)
    See posts above.  +1

Sorry you missed it. 

TERMS:
    The EVGA ACX 3.0 to iCX Upgrade Program is an optional upgrade program beginning February 10, 2017, and available only for a limited-time, until February 28, 2017. Dates are subject to change without notice.
    • Once the EVGA ACX 3.0 to iCX Upgrade Program expires, customers may no longer submit for iCX Upgrades, nor will EVGA make exceptions for customers that fail to take advantage of the iCX Program while it is open.

Far as I know EVGA has never done this type of Upgrade before outside of the Step-Up program

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/23 21:00:11 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Far as I know EVGA has never done this type of Upgrade before outside of the Step-Up program

Actually, back in 2007 or 2008. Can't remember which year. Evga did an upgrade program of the 780 to 780i motherboard. I know this, because I was one of those people.    

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    g80sli
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/24 07:46:06 (permalink)
    you're out of luck my friend. I'm in the same boat as you. I emailed them about my situation and they told me to basically return it where i bought it from and there is basically nothing they are willing to do to people who missed the boat or weren't aware of the ftw2 or the thermal issues before buying. IMO the upgrade program should have been longer. It kinda not fair.
    Aarkane
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/24 08:33:01 (permalink)
    g80sli
    IMO the upgrade program should have been longer. It kinda not fair.

Considering EVGA did not have to offer any upgrade at all, I wouldn't classify missing the upgrade due to ignorance of the program "unfair". 

EVGA threw the offer out there for the world to see, it's not their fault some people didn't see it (or disregarded the communication all together only to find out they should have paid attention). 

IMO, it's pretty unfair that people are disgruntled at EVGA for their own unawareness.  Props to EVGA for even offering the program in the first place.  No other company does this.

It sucks that people missed it, I feel for them.  But it is what it is.
    jduncan569
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/24 11:17:45 (permalink)
    Aarkane
    g80sli

Considering EVGA did not have to offer any upgrade at all, I wouldn't classify missing the upgrade due to ignorance of the program "unfair". 

EVGA threw the offer out there for the world to see, it's not their fault some people didn't see it (or disregarded the communication all together only to find out they should have paid attention). 

IMO, it's pretty unfair that people are disgruntled at EVGA for their own unawareness.  Props to EVGA for even offering the program in the first place.  No other company does this.

I'm not disgruntled.  I just work, have two kids and a life outside of this forum and EVGA's website.  I also haven't had an issue with my FTW, so I had no reason to go looking for anything.  Nvidia pushes driver updates so no reason to go to the EVGA site for them.  I didn't disregard any communication.  I have checked my inbox which has pretty much every email I've received for the past 6 years, and there wasn't one to disregard.  I regularly check my spam folder.  It was never in there.  I bought my FTW direct from EVGA.  It was registered immediately and I am on the same email address that I have used since 1996.  They know how to find me if they had wanted to.  

Honestly, I wouldn't have even known about it if I hadn't found a free moment to browse the forum.  Found a thread were people were tracking their registrations vs shipping/receiving dates.  I was like, "What is this?"  Now I know.  3 weeks too late, but I know.

I love EVGA.  I've bought their motherboards and graphics cards exclusively for several years.  Started with an X58 FTW MB and a 480GTX.  I've since owned a GTX590, 3 580GTX SCs, 2 680GTX Classifieds, and my current 1080 GTX FTW graphics card as well as a Z77 FTW MB.  On top of that, I have won some things during the anniversary contests, like my NEX 1500 PSU or my Superclock CPU Cooler.  I will be replacing my MB sometime this summer and I guarantee that it will be with another EVGA board.  My only problem with all of this is that I wasn't notified.  My card has a potential problem and they were willing to give me a way to circumvent the problem, but failed to let me know so I could make that choice.  Is it great that they did this?  Absolutely.  I just wish they had contacted the registered owners of the cards in question directly.  It would have been more in line with the customer service level I've witnessed time and again from EVGA and that customer service is what has kept me coming back.
    Aarkane
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/24 11:22:57 (permalink)
    I can relate to what you are saying. I am not in much of a dissimilar situation as you. I found out via a Facebook post from EVGA while I was on the toilet hiding from my kids...and wife for that matter.
    g80sli
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/24 14:30:32 (permalink)
    Aarkane
    g80sli

You are right, they really didn't have to, but they had to at the same time. They would have lost MUCH MORE consumer confidence in their products, especially a $1000CAD product. 

For a company like EVGA and the caliber of products they offer, I wasn't expecting to have to google "evga 1080 ftw problems" etc etc before buying. If i did that I would have caught the issue and never bought EVGA just out of sheer fear in the product. I'm not alone in that either. Crappy part is, I usually do my due diligence before buying, but I was confident in evga since I've owned their products in the past so I didn't search for any problems. 

Sadly, any future EVGA products I'm going to have to do that, IF i ever buy another evga product. 

I bought my 1080 ftw last weekend, i would have never known about any "communication" as you say, about the problems with the ftw version or the FTW2 program. So now what?

Props to EVGA for offering, yeah.. for a whole two weeks. Thumbs down for leaving buyers out in the cold who purchased after the program ended and had no idea about the problems or program. I suppose that's my problem now. 

The program should have been for a longer period of time to ease consumer fears and to ensure less fallout from ignorant ftw owners. 

The forum is scattered with ftw owners new and old asking about the icx upgrade.. and all they hear is too bad so sad. 

It sucks but you're right, it is what it is. 
    Aarkane
    Re: ICX upgrade question 2017/03/24 15:18:23 (permalink)
    The good news is the FTW product you bought last week is fine. There is nothing wrong with it as it works within the spec parameters. The FTW cards that had the problem were a fairly small batch of specific cards in the grand scheme of their product line. I know because I had one of them, which they promptly replaced when I contacted support. I too am a loyal EVGA GPU buyer because they have the best customer service in the business. Did they screw up? Yes, but any company can and will. But the difference with EVGA is they rectified the problem without hesitation. No other company will do that without some hoop jumping. Because of that, they will continue to be my go to company.

The so so news, depending on your preference...Is the icx better? Yes and no. There is no performance increase at all. But it does run slightly cooler, which theoretically means you can over clock it more...but those cards are pretty much at max over clock as it is and any increase would be insignificant, unless you put a water block on it...even then it is questionable. So you aren't missing out with a bad product in the acx ftw by any means.

With that said, I agree I wish everyone could have jumped in on the "upgrade". But as a number of reviewers like gamer nexus said, it actually wasn't worth it as there is a net gain of zero performance increase. Most of the people that did it only did so to reset their expired step up window to get the Ti (me included). The fact I bought my original FTW last July and now have an option to get the Ti...sign me up. The iCX FTW2 was nothing more than a stepping stone.

If anyone recently (withing 30 days or so) bought an ACX FTW and feel like you absolutely got screwed (which you didn't as you probably paid a lot less for a perfectly great card then the people that actually did get screwed), I would suggest returning the card where you got it and get the iCX...or step up to the Ti via evga's site. But ultimately, no matter what...you got a great GPU.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile