EVGA

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Author
maddogmiller15
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/21 11:20:35 (permalink)
Okay First off i have posted this issue before without any suggestions that helped resolving my issue. ( this PC is haunted a swear )

The problem is Display driver and crashed and successfully recovered error 4101, the video card in question is the EVGA GTX 970 SSC. The crash is very random i could go days, weeks, fine without a crash and out of know where my pc will crash with this error many times a day or within a week period. Happens on many games so can't just rule out 1 game.

Games i mainly play and have crashed at some point in time.
Guildwars 2 
Path of exile
Diablo 3
Overwatch
Dayz 

Steps preformed
DDU tried Disk drivers , many other drivers now im sitting on 359.06
Tried new PSU ( returned it didn't solve my issue )
New Ram
New Mobo
Formatted many times even tried windows 7 instead of 10 
Ran Furmark for hours without a Crash / gpu and cpu temps are fine 
Seatools checked SSD and HDD Tests passed
Intel cpu diagnostic tool (everything passed )
Ran Memtest on new ram (4-5 hours Passed)
mobo Bios updated to newest
Cleaned pc real well new thermal paste on CPU 
Valley benchmark no crashes 
RMA GPU same issue on new one 
rx 280x (old card crashed every once and a while ) (Reason for 970 upgrade at the time ) (sold 280x so can't test again )
TDR delay ( didn't work )
Tested with Adia64 and cpuid hwmonitor
Updated frimware on SSD and HDD 

PC specs 
i5 4690k (not overcloked )
EVGA GTX 970 ssc ( not overclocked )
16 GB ram 1600 
Asus b85 mobo 
500gb HDD hitachi drive
120 GB SSD Kingston Drive
WIndows 7
850 watt black window power supply 
dell 1920x1080 isp panel ( Main display)
2nd Display HP 1440x900 
Both display are at 60 hertz 
USB wireless adapter 

So im lost at this point , Bad PC part ? , Nvidia drivers suck this bad ? time to say screw it and rebuild ? not sure anymore from my end my PC is running normal and fine expect this crash randomly. I think i have pretty good knowledge on PCS but for whatever reason this Issue and stomped me for 6months + and can't seem to find a fix . anyways thanks for reading -Mason 

post edited by Sajin - 2017/03/21 12:35:53

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/21 12:39:23 (permalink)
    Please do not use foul language on the evga forums. Thanks. https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx

How old is your current psu?

Here is what I suggest you do to try and fix your issue...

#1 Try underclocking the card fully with msi afterburner to see if it helps stop the random crashing. Instructions on how to fully underclock with msi afterburner can be found here under step #4.
    #2 Try setting gpu fan to max speed then retesting the game. Setting fan speed % inside msi afterburner to 100% will make the gpu fan run at max speed. Caution: GPU fan will be loud at max speed.
    maddogmiller15
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/21 16:40:52 (permalink)
    sorry about language anyways my current psu is pretty old haven't tried underclocking the gpu before, after reading your msi post my GPU has been RMA once and also tried my brothers 970 and a r9 280x card all with the same issue.

the games i play could be sensitive to overclocks i would assume a power supply issue but i have tried a new one before without any help, how ever that was before replacing mobo and ram so still could be a power supply issue.

any other thoughts on different parts that could cause this issue ? i highly dought my gpu is the cause after testing 3 cards 
    maddogmiller15
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/21 16:41:59 (permalink)
    i will give you're mention above a try though.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/21 17:16:18 (permalink)
    Games aren't sensitive to overclocks. All games will make use of your gpu differently which could make the factory overclock on any gpu unstable if the factory overclock isn't 100% stable. A old psu could make the issue occur on different video cards. When running the new psu with your 970 ssc the factory overclock on the card may have been unstable making it look like the psu didn't help.
    maddogmiller15
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/21 20:59:00 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Games aren't sensitive to overclocks. All games will make use of your gpu differently which could make the factory overclock on any gpu unstable if the factory overclock isn't 100% stable. A old psu could make the issue occur on different video cards. When running the new psu with your 970 ssc the factory overclock on the card may have been unstable making it look like the psu didn't help.

well im probably gonna pick up a new power supply test around still crashes i guess i RMA the card again 
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/25 22:54:45 (permalink)
    When you open your Event logs are you seeing WHEA errors in it? What voltage are you running your RAM at? 

Have water, will cool. 
    Camelgrinder
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 2017/03/30 04:02:50 (permalink)
    I had the same problem with my 980 ti, i found that underclocking it stopped the crashes for a few months but last Friday a component on the card burned out (literally, it set on fire, even scorched my rampage 5 extreme mobo). Now awaiting the RMA. My advice is if underclocking it slightly stops the crashes its probably going to break anyway.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile