Is my graphics card toaste?

Author
vaath
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/12 22:33:45 (permalink)
Hi All,

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read and help if possible.

I own an Evga 780 TI
I was playing World of Warcraft when the screen went white, then black, then threw me back into the game as if nothing had happened. It was sporadic so I didn't think anything of it, I also played 7 days to die which seemed unaffected at the time. About a week later it would do it in bursts. White then black, now it has gotten to the point of unplayable on ANY game I try.

If I alt tab right after it does it I am sometimes greeted to: 
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered 
I have tried 3 sets of drivers including the most recent release, doing a proper driver wipe each time with DDU as blizzard suggested for WOW.
7 days and warcraft goes into this loop until I shut the machine off. Also when I close tabs or windows the graphic stays up there even though the application is verified as closed and exited in task manager. Sometimes when the loop happens I have some green boxes all over the screen.
I tried the registery fix on microsofts site to give the card more time to recover but this has not helped one bit.
I have since pulled the card and am running on integrated mobo graphics, which is okay for movies but gaming is next to impossible. No crashes

Is there something I have not tried? 

The card is not overheating as it hasn't broken 72c when I was running my games. There have been no modifications or overclocks ever done on it.

Thank you for your time and maybe you can think of something I might try. I have tried virtually every fix on the web!

If it is toast I hear a gtx 1060 is about the same speed if I need to go that route.

Adam

3 Replies Related Threads

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Is my graphics card toaste? 2017/03/12 23:39:27 (permalink)
    I wouldn't say it is toast. It is not edibles. :p
    Okay, joking aside, I would say it is done for. One thing you can test is trying it in another PCIe slot if available. Otherwise, if the card is out of warranty, would say it's time to buy a new one.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Is my graphics card toaste? 2017/03/13 00:50:04 (permalink)
    If the card is out of warranty you could try baking the video card like this to see if it helps fix the issue.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Is my graphics card toaste? 2017/03/13 10:37:36 (permalink)
    You can try cleaning the gold fingers that go into the pci-e slot that are on the card with rubbing alcohol, 99% preferably, blow the slot on the mobo out, make sure you dry the card so theres no residue left on it just in case with a dry towel then reinstall. Just make sure it catches the pci-e lock on the slot and that your vga cords are tight before you reboot. Good luck man!!! Let us know if anything helps.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile